THQ Auction latest: SEGA in for Relic, Koch look to Volition (Rumour)

##@image@##

SEGA is rumoured to be the high bidder for Relic Entertainment and its games as THQ's assets headed to auction this week.

Other rumours suggest that Koch Media of Dead Island fame as the lead bidder for Saints Row developer Volition. Meanwhile Obsidian and its game South Park could soon be under the control of Ubisoft, although not if South Park Studios have anything to do with it - they are currently trying to block the sale so that they can sell off the publishing rights.

The auction results will be known later today, but it seems the above does have some legs if rumblings on the internet are to be believed.

News of Sega's bid comes from the hive mind of NeoGAF. I see no reason the information should be made up, but there is no conclusive proof either.

Quite a few of these 'rumblings' come from developers such as a Relic employee and from places such as NeoGaf, who generally seem to know everything before everyone else.

Currently there is no word on the fate of Darksiders developer Vigil Games, which we imagine will also be quite sought after.

We'll bring you the results of the auction and news on which company owns what as soon as we hear anything.

Edited On 23 Jan, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I think I'm alright with Sega getting it's hands on Relic. Sega have made a couple of risky moves over the last couple of years that have paid off. So along with Company of Heroes 2 being safe, fingers crossed for maybe a Homeworld 3 somewhere in the future? Looks like Koch grabbed Volition which I'm a little more skeptical over. Results are gonna be public 5pm our time today. I will be watching intently!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
sega going for it is a good move in my opinion im a sega lover i hope if its true they dont blow it.. cause they are prone to mistakes
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Apparently South Park creators are fighting the sale of their game. So no idea what is going to happen there.
troublemaker's avatar
Ubisoft are after the Stick of Truth IP. From what I've read. Maybe Ubi would move to one of their own studios, effectively closing a large part of Obsidian. Could be interesting to see what happens
troublemaker 4 years ago
Joe2120's avatar
Yeah I forgot to add the bit about South Park Studios in, have done this now. We'll know what happens for sure a bit later today.
Joe2120 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
i hope who ever takes over vigil makes a darksiders 3 and not change the game to much other than obvious needed improvements!
0000000000 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Hope that nothign happens to ruin the South park game, Can see this resulting in a large delay of the game though which sucks, as i was really looking forward to it.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
South Park game is an odd one I think the studio is seperate from THQ they just need to THQ to distribute it or publish it.
LFC Bywater's avatar
And i'm pretty sure other publishers would be interested, as the South park brand is huuuuge
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Of course, but Matt and Trey are obviously pretty keen gamers going from the show, and it is only right that they have final say on who publishes it.
Glad EA and Activision aren't going for anything, they have the money to outbid anyone, hope Ubisoft don't get South Park either.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
THQ dont own the south Park Franchise I think Matt and Trey own it.
troublemaker's avatar
If I remember right, THQ have the publishing rights, as opposed to ownership of the IP. That's why Obsidian are making The Stick of Truth. A separate developer (The guys that made Fallout: New Vegas)
troublemaker 4 years ago
I hope Square get Vigil Games but I have a sneaky feeling about EA & if true i wont be happy
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
No news of the WWE license I know those games are pretty poor but they are more yearly crack.