Nintendo announces Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD for Wii U

Nintendo have today announced that the GameCube fan favourite, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is to get a new lick of paint with a new HD edition scheduled to hit the Nintendo Wii U this Autumn.

Nintendo announced the title during their Nintendo Direct livestream earlier today.?Nintendo's Satoru Iwata said, mentioned the all-new Wii U Zelda game is also in the works. But that a new Zelda "may take some time".

Wind Waker on Wii U comes with overhauled graphics, Miiverse integration, full GamePad compatibility. The Wind Waker re-make will launch this autumn.

Edited On 23 Jan, 2013

Comments
Dru1034's avatar
Dru1034 4 years ago
Should have been a decent zelda like Ocarana of time, Link to the Past.
I respect your opinion you are entitled to it after all but with all due respect go hug a deathclaw
Dru1034's avatar
I freely admit i am very biased towards OOT, but Wind waker Really!!?? it lacks temples and you spend most of the time sailing around trying to find the pieces, at least they could have put a few more temples in it, but nope not many at all. The whole game just felt like it was rushed into production. Look at all these games these days that you complete far too quickly. OOT took a lot of gameplay and was worth every penny. Wind Waker not so much. Sorry if do not like that but It being in HD will not make it a better game to play.
Dru1034 4 years ago
I for one just loved sailing around the great sea also part of the game was cut
Dru1034's avatar
due to lack of space on the disc?? what parts were cut??
Dru1034 4 years ago
Example Nayru's Pearl was supposed to be at the end of the dungeon
rkeveratt's avatar
rkeveratt 4 years ago
Looks great! Loved Wind Waker, actually makes me want a Wii U. Can't wait to see what they do with the new Zelda after Skyward Sword too
Garrick 4 years ago
I have mixed feelings about this. It would be good to relive such an amazing game, but I'll have so many other things to save my money for over the years...
Baiken_'s avatar
Baiken_ 4 years ago
Damn it i've never played Wind Waker and i don't have a Wii U
Do you have a Gamecube or Wii if so pick up the Gamecube version
Baiken_'s avatar
Yes i have a Wii but i didn't know i could play GameCube games on it lol thanks
Baiken_ 4 years ago
The Gamecube version also looks nicer visually if you ask me.
Garrick 4 years ago
If you are saying the Gamecube version of The Wind Waker looks better than the upcoming Wii U version i think you need your eyes looked at
If i wasn't already going to get a Wii U this is the game that would have pushed me over the edge
PrometheusFan's avatar
A HD port of a game you've already played?
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
It's like people wanting a remake of Final Fantasy 7 they have already played the game but they want to play it again with updated visuals to relive the experience. You can't tell me there isn't a single game you would want remade with HD visuals
PrometheusFan's avatar
This isn't a remake though.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Coolsambob's avatar
Coolsambob 4 years ago
I never got around to trying this one, so this is great. Was tempted to buy the GC version to play on my Wii, but now I'll hold out for this
Great news, my favourite Zelda ever, and it's been so long since I last played it that it'll be almost like playing it for the first time.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
This is about as exciting and equally about as shocking as another Call of Duty game being announced!!!!??? So unlike nintendo to re release and re hash one of theyre games but Nintendo have become as dull as Activision in this respect we as gamers should expect ney demand more than this wont be buying a Wii U at any point soon with a completely laughable launch line up with nothing whatsoever on the horizon for it Nintendo can wait (and it looks like its going to be a very very very long time and thats if i even bother with the xbox on the horizon and then a PS4) to get even a sniff ive my hard earned poundage!!!
I'm sure they won't lose any sleep over it ;)
Silly Billy's avatar
They won't, but haters have the delusional attitude that they are somehow important to the people they hate on.
Silly Billy 4 years ago
inspector 74's avatar
Woah!!! theres one thing I never ever will be is a hater, I am just so so dissapointed with the mighty Nintendo recently and have been for the past few years and your right I wouldnt expect Nintendo to give a you know what as to whether I buy there console or not, The N64 was and still is one of the best consoles I have ever owned along with my gamecube Im just tired of Nintendo re issueing titles im just saying ive never experienced such a dull line up of launch titles for a nintendo console they are true masters of theyre craft and I just want to see them return to the days of making incredible must have games not just rehashing and tarting a game up....New Mario, New F-Zero New Zelda moan over new awesome games is all i want not much to ask is it guys and gals !>)
inspector 74 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Did you watch the Nintendo Direct? New 3D Mario got announced. New Yoshi game (based on Epic Yarn), New Zelda (as well as WW), New Xeno, New Mario Kart. We obviously got Pikmin and Smash Bros on the way too. We still don't know what Retro is working on either. I'm sure there'll be more to come with E3.
Robichoico 4 years ago
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
iMerle iDixon's avatar
As a gold member, I'm guessing you will buy be buying atleast one of the new consoles, no matter what you say ;P
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
I like this, if its priced correctly Im on it. If not I will rebuy the original cheap.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I'm already sold on it. Despite owning the Limited Edition on the Cube. But imagine if they overhaul it like they did with OOT. Or even better. Add back in the dungeons that were missed out.
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Am now 'slightly' more tempted to get a Wii U at some point...
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Good to see Nintendo aren't above cashing in on the HD update bandwagon. The only issue now is how they're going to price it. On PS3 and 360, these HD upgrades of last gen games usually go for between 6 and 12 quid (Or more if they're from Capcom, because who else would, right?) so I'd hope this releases to a similar pricing level... but can't shake the feeling that they may try and do what they did with Ocarina of Time and rerelease it as a 30+ quid boxed product... which they would be idiots to pull.
Silly Billy's avatar
The Ocarina of Time remake on Gamecube was free with Windwaker.
Silly Billy 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
I think he means the 3DS one. Considering that it looks like they're doing more with this, improving graphics (not simply a HD lick of paint like a lot of the HD games do.), other improvements (not said what they are yet.), Miiverse and Gamepad gameplay I can see them charging full price for it.
Robichoico 4 years ago
I feel I need to point out that all the HD collections so far have just been upscaled versions of the originals but this is a remake (Look at The Twin Snakes or Resident Evil for the Gamecube) so a lot of work will be put into it and I'm sure the end result will look even more gorgeous than the original also there is a chance that they will put in the cut content.
PrometheusFan's avatar
Actually several previous HD updates have done a lot more than simply just run the games through an upscaler. I know in collections like God of War Collection and Tomb Raider trilogy the games had actual code assets updated from the PS2 originals to use higher resolution textures and such from the PC versions of those games for example, and others like the Yakuza HD collection actual put gameplay features from newer Yakuza games into the older titles. There is so far nothing to indicate Wind Waker HD is anything more than a simple HD lick of paint. Also, having access to a console's native features isn't really a checkbox worthy feature of this particular title. I could use the messaging features of my PS3 or cross game chat on my 360 while playing HD updated games on those for example... didn't result in those games being charged at full price.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Silly Billy's avatar
If you had watched the video before rushing to troll about it you would have seen that they are reworking the whole game, not just the visuals.
Silly Billy 4 years ago
Ah it doesn't matter anyway Kevin will always hate on Nintendo nothing will stop that. Been meaning to ask this for a while but can you show me where on the doll Nintendo touched you?
PrometheusFan's avatar
"Reworking the whole game"? What does that even mean when they provide no specifics? Are they actually going to finish it before they release is this time? Considering how much was missing from the final retail version on Gamecube I would be very surprised if this was the case.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
J-D's avatar
J-D 4 years ago
i remember a while back hearing about a link to the past remake, what happened to that?
Robichoico's avatar
Nothing really. Miyamoto apparently expressed interest in bringing it out for the 3DS. I guess it's in the same place as the Majora's Mask 3DS is.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Deltadee's avatar
Deltadee 4 years ago
This is great news, i never had a gamecube so i missed out on Wind Waker, can not wait for this. Will be getting a WiiU sometime at the end of this year.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Once a few good zelda titles come out on the Wii U i may be more inclined to buy one
Robichoico's avatar
few? Tends to be 2. If we are lucky then 3
Robichoico 4 years ago
FizzyDuck's avatar
FizzyDuck 4 years ago
Okay I'm excited about this. Wind Waker is perhaps my favourite Zelda title and was unfairly judged due to its more "cartoony" look. The music when sailing alone gives me goosebumps.
James26's avatar
James26 4 years ago
No.1 reason to buy a Wii U now. I'm now just waiting for ShopTo to put up a preorder bundle for this + a console!
Afrododger's avatar
Afrododger 4 years ago
Will I get shot to pieces for stating that Wind Waker was the first Zelda game I honestly and truly enjoyed? If I owned a Wii U then I would be looking out for this! :)
fusearts's avatar
fusearts 4 years ago
I guess I have no reason to play the original on Gamecube now!
AlisterCat's avatar
AlisterCat 4 years ago
So excited. This is my favourite Zelda next to Ocarina. I have played this in HD already, but this is clearly more than just a HD port. Don't make me buy a WiiU Nintendo :(