THQ back catalogue to be sold in next few weeks

While many of bankrupt publisher THQ's biggest assets have already been sold, much of its back catalogue still remains awaiting buyers. Possibly not for much longer though.

According to former THQ president Jason Rubin, titles such as Darksiders, Red Faction and MX vs. ATV will be sold in the coming weeks, if buyers can be found.

"There will be a separate process to sell off the back catalogue and IP. That process will take place in the coming weeks."

On his own immediate future, Rubin added: "My focus right now is helping the THQ employees who are out of work find jobs. I am lucky enough that this process doesn't negatively impact my family. That is not true for hundreds of people."

Earlier in the week studios such as Relic, Volition and THQ Montreal were all sold off along with the respective IP's they were working on. Unfortunately THQ did not find a buyer for Darksiders developer Vigil Games, therefore this studio will now close.

It is still possible the Darksiders franchise will live on, with Platinum Games expressing an interest. Whether anything will come of this though, only time will tell.

Edited On 25 Jan, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
please EA stay away from darksiders and red faction!! I mean it!!
0000000000's avatar
ill be very happy for platinum games to get there hands on it
0000000000 4 years ago
I think Red Faction should be left to die after the last game, it was so disappointing after guerrilla.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Darksiders won't be Darksiders without Vigil
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
ill agree with your darksiders comment it was terrible compared to guerrilla but darksiders needs to survive.. i would welcome platinum games to it but i know EA will be sniffing around smelling £'s
0000000000 4 years ago
scourge's avatar
you say red faction should be left to die. but, just imagine if a company like Ubisoft or Rockstar get their hands on it.
scourge 4 years ago
I don't understand the stick Red Faction Armageddon gets, you could say i liked it more than Guerrilla
LFC Bywater's avatar
Red faction hasn't been any good since i played it on the PS2, So i agree it should be left to die.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Don't see the problem if EA bought those properties. There's nothing they could do to them that THQ hadn't done already with regards to DLC nickel and diming. In fact it could be to Darksiders' benefit if Visceral were able to work on it.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Afrododger's avatar
Platinum working on Darksiders 3? YES PLEASE! :D Darksiders is the first game of it's kind that I've loved since the Legacy of Kain / Soul Reaver series!
Afrododger 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
EA averages 72.0 metacritic score. Second highest non-first party is Take Two. Then the rest are in the 60s. The hate they receive is stupid. If EA can take Darksiders and turn it into as big a franchise as Mass Effect, good on them.
EADo make, and publish, some pretty good games, but they get hate for things like online passes and unnecessary yearly updates, they aren't as bad as they used to be though, and nowhere near as bad as Activision.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
They are not hated on for the quality of there games, its their business practices and ethics, if they didn't have so many good franchises they would be in the same boat as THQ.
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
As far as I'm concerned, EA are like most businesses. And they do a damn good job at what they do. They'll also promote this game much better than any other studio out there.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
It's going to be an interesting few weeks coming up by the looks of it. My feelings match many others I think with the hope that publishers like EA and Acti, ones known for bleeding franchises dry, don't get their hands on any of the IPs. Take two have a varied enough collection of developers to make almost any of the franchises profitable, and I guess that's where my hopes will be going.
Hopefully this will mean some of their old games could get rereleased digitally, I'd definitely pay for a rerelease of South Park Rally, one of my favourite kart racers of all time.
LFC Bywater's avatar
You can get South park rally on eBay for about 99p. Got it hooked up to my PS1 still, all we need is an Xbox Arcade version of that, Great game.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I've still got it on N64, it's just a pain getting the console out of storage and setting it up.
Alan 4 years ago
Going to be interesting to see if Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo dip in to get some exclusives. My money on EA and Ubisoft snapping it all up though. Just release Metro and south park for gods sake.
LFC Bywater's avatar
South Park has gone to Ubisoft bud so it will still be getting released, so i wouldn't worry.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I don't think that MX vs ATV was a great game, or Red faction either, so not to sad if they don't push out any sequels. Hopefully the Darksiders rumours are right and they go to Platinum games.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
I'm surprised by how many studios have been expressing interest in Vigil/Darksiders considering their body of work and the reception for their games, but I guess Platinum, Remedy and Sony Santa Monica must know something we don't if the reports are to be believed.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
As Sony Santa Monica said about Dante's Inferno, they love these types of games and are happy when others produce games in this mould.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
Really dont understand all the hate for EA and Activision think the majority of people just jump on the bandwagon as its the popular thing to do. Would be disapointing if no one picked up darksiders, red faction not too fussed on but maybe thats because i never played the originals.
Activision just milk franchises to death, look what they did to Tony Hawks and Guitar Hero, Call of Duty will probably be the next casualty, although James Bond looks in a bad way too.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
I would not say they are any worse than some other publishers for milking franchises. Also i wouldnt say the reason Tony Hawks went downhill was there were too many they just gradually kept going away from what was fun and making it more and more like something from jackass. Have to agree with the guitar hero bit though felt the same with rockband do we really need that many variations on music games.
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
The difference between EA/Activision and milking is that they very rarely do much to change the game. Hell EA have gotten so bad at milking they're literally relabelling games and putting them back on the shelves (Case in Point Fifa 2013 for PSV, Wii, Wii U)
Robichoico 4 years ago
Kizzy's avatar
Kizzy 4 years ago
Please Platinum Games, help Darksiders out! :(
Isome's avatar
Isome 4 years ago
Hopefully someone will pick up Destroy All Humans - the first two games were brilliant and ideally they will come out with an HD Collection one day. (day 1 purchase for me).
hightonviewdistrict's avatar
hightonviewdistrict 4 years ago
I love the Darksiders games, enjoyed them very much and love the pace it gives. I'm worried that Platinum games will want to make it a more faster chaotic combat if they do get their hands on it like Bayonetta or Vanquish which I do like but does lose its spark after a while. I wish that Square Enix/Eidos would take up the franchise and as for MX vs ATV I would like to see Codemasters make something of it. As for Red Fraction EA wouldn't be so bad, as long they bring it back to FPS roots like when me and my mate use to play it after school along with Time Splitters, but if Namco got it or maybe id software (they make Quake games) that would be awesome too
hightonviewdistrict's avatar
Remember the Soul Reaver games, thats why I said Eidos which is now part of Square Enix, Crystal Dynamics division
hightonviewdistrict 4 years ago
AlisterCat's avatar
AlisterCat 4 years ago
I'm glad that Relic have found a home with Sega. The Total War developers Creative Assembly have thrived under them, so Relic should do well. Sega already have the rights to do a Warhammer RTS, and if they can get the license for 40K back to Relic then they will have a monopoly on Warhammer strategy games. I think EA still has MMO rights though.