Crytek opens Austin studio, employs former Vigil staff

Crytek has opened a new US office in Austin, Texas, home of now defunct THQ studio, Vigil Games. What's particularly interesting about this new move is that the new studio will be headed up by none other than David Adams, the former GM and co-owner of Vigil.

Adams will oversee a team of "35 experienced developers" consisting of "some of the brightest development talent in the industry." This to us would suggest that the studio will have a large ratio of ex-Vigil employees.

"Crytek has always enjoyed a special relationship with gamers and business partners in North America, so establishing a permanent presence in the US was a natural step," said Crytek CEO, Cevat Yerli. "We are extremely excited about the work that we will be undertaking from our strategic new location in Austin, with David Adams and his team of 35 experienced developers. We believe our CryENGINE technology will enable the team we assemble to create unparalleled new gaming experiences."

David Adams, the newly appointed CEO of Crytek USA Corp., added: "I'm thrilled to be a part of the newest Crytek studio, which will boast some of the brightest development talent in the industry. The studio's launch represents Crytek's commitment to delivering diverse and high quality content to players everywhere."

THQ has said that it's remaining IP's will be auctioned off in a few weeks time, so should we throw Crytek's name into the Darksiders auction along with the previously rumoured Platinum Games? At this point we wouldn't be against interest from the anyone.

Either way, this is fantastic new for both ex-Vigil employees and Austin itself.

Source: Crytek.

Edited On 28 Jan, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Good to see some of the guys from Vigil landing on their feet. Great news. Crytek done the same with Free Radical after Haze killed them and they became Crytek UK. now they're making homefront 2. Good news I reckon.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
This is great news, Loved both the Darksiders games and also Crysis. With these people working together i am sure that they will make a brilliant game.
That is really good news i'm glad most of the ex Vigil staff have landed on their feet. Good job Crytek
Good news for the Vigil guys, least they have jobs, unless they manage to land the Darksiders IP back from THQ though it doesn't mean much for us gamers.
troublemaker's avatar
I don't know. Even if they weren't to pick up Darksiders, maybe the guys at Crytek like the look of Evolve, Vigil's unannounced game.
troublemaker 4 years ago
They would still need to buy that back from THQ I would think, the game may have been unfinished, but it still would be an asset of the company, and not the people working on it.
troublemaker's avatar
What I mean is, they may not be eyeing up Darksiders, but the new IP. This close to next gen, it would be right in Crytek's wheelhouse
troublemaker 4 years ago
Quite possibly, but hiring the guys who were working on it does not automatically give them first dibs on it, it'll be auctioned like all the other unsold THQ stuff, and they may, or may not, get it.
troublemaker's avatar
I understand that. BUT! Hiring the guys working on it would be a step in the right direction if the pan was do bid large on Darksiders OR Evolve don't you think? I'm not saying they are definitely getting it. But it seems like a sound business strategy. And Crytek have plenty of money to throw around
troublemaker 4 years ago
I suppose, but there are far bigger fish in the sea and now it's got to buying individual IPs rather than the whole company that made them we may see more interest. Either way, always good to have some talented staff, so it's a win/win situation for Crytek, no matter what they are planning.
troublemaker's avatar
Very true. Glad the guys at Vigil are staying in work. Would be a shame to see their talents wasted. Always a pleasure arguing with you :D
troublemaker 4 years ago
Likewise ;)
Perhaps they will give vigil Homefront 2...now there is a thought!
TOM 4 years ago
A2GMAN's avatar
A2GMAN 4 years ago
its good to see apeople who may hae lost there jobs now working for a differnt compeny. nice 1 crytek and please try and grab the rest of the I.P's.
Rachael 4 years ago
Nice that it worked out for some of them, hopefully it will work out for us gamers if they can bring out some good new games.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Hope they're allowed to work on a new IP... and that it ends up being better than Darksiders... which shouldn't be too difficult.
Do you want a reaction or something?
Silly Billy's avatar
It's what he lives for.
Silly Billy 4 years ago
AlisterCat's avatar
AlisterCat 4 years ago
Crytek are a good company. I used to be a part of their forums and won some official video awards. Glad to see them expanding.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
well as long as someone buys Darksiders. i wouldn't like to see the franchise die, while 2 was not as epic as 1 it is a universe i am very interested in even read the book. which was very good actually
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
thats good news for them and they have a job to go to as well crytek is a good company which i might add is down the road from where i live, love there nano suit in window i go past i just wanna grab it lol but anyway i look forward to seeing what comes in the future
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 4 years ago
I'm glad such evidently talented people have been secured work because, quite honestly, I didn't think they should be held responsible for issues with the parent company. They produced two excellent games that would have sold considerably more had the marketing might of one of the bigger companies been behind them. So, like many others, I really hope Crytek can land the Darksiders IP, or perhaps work for another company that does land such an excellent property.
Simon 4 years ago
Hopefully a new IP will come of this. Big fan of Crytek, saving those who would be without jobs now.
TOM 4 years ago
Odd, Crysis 3 was suppose to be their last actual game to be released with them moving to the tech side. This is good news though, love Vigil! We just need a petition to keep the Darksiders franchise with these people...I want my 4 player co op four horsemen of the apocolypse game!
dr.sanchez's avatar
dr.sanchez 4 years ago
Just when I thought Crytek were crazy in just getting Homefront, they go and do something great like this. I'm happy for all the people at Vigil. Seem like a talented development team.
Homefront 2, with added horsemen of the apocolypse!
TOM 4 years ago
dr.sanchez's avatar
Haha! Now THAT would be something! XD
dr.sanchez 4 years ago
Rachael 4 years ago
Talking of Crytek has anyone here had a chance to play the Crysis 3 beta yet? I'm really enjoying it so you guys should give it a shot.
ashmanmosh's avatar
ashmanmosh 4 years ago
I'm glad that Crytek have managed to salvage some of Vigil's staff although I would have much preferred it if Platinum games had been the ones to save them.. Either way I hope to god they make a Darksiders 3!
WoodySteW's avatar
WoodySteW 4 years ago
Crytek .... is .... a pimp! I mean ... MM! (quote courtesy of Borderlands 2, Tiny Tina) ..... it wasnt that long ago that I discovered Crysis 2 which has led me to preorder the Crysis 3 hunters edition (with free Crysis download code), they make stunning scenery and perfectly detailed games and now to read that they have David Adams on their team!? things are about to get even better! I just hope that (as with some developers) that they arent hit hard by the current depression. as it is, i am gutted that THQ are having to sell off some of their games (although im not too sure on their circumstances) but Darksiders!! it may still be alive and well with crytek! I really hope so, those games were great and different to most others out there .... and i just want them to be able to finish the story! they cant leave it on a cliff hanger like it has! ...................... but this is great news for crytek, more amazing developers for their team to help enhance their games, giving new twists and ideas! makes gamers like me very happy indeed!