Lifetime Xbox 360 sales set to pass Wii in the UK

Lifetime Xbox 360 sales could soon over take those of the Wii in the UK according to a new report.

CVG reports that Microsoft's console was less than 200,000 sales behind the Wii at the end of December, having sold over four times more units than Wii in 2012.

Unsurprisingly, the Nintendo DS and PlayStation 2 remain the UK's first and second best selling games consoles respectively, with Wii and Xbox 360 currently in third and fourth spots.

There is no word as to where the PS3 stands in this equation in terms of UK sales, although we do know that the Xbox 360 and PS3 are pretty much neck and neck in Worldwide sales, with the PS3 dominating pretty much everywhere outside the US and UK.

Edited On 29 Jan, 2013

Comments
Salvo's avatar
Salvo 4 years ago
I think the huge difference in 2012 sales stems from the Wii U being launched in 2012. Wii was a fun console in its own right, but anyone who would get a Wii after this point would probably have very specific reasons - such as using it as the great workout companion it is or satisfy their curiosity for certain Wii exclusive titles like Xenoblade Chronicles. In short, I think the numbers are understandable with the earlier launch of a new generation Nintendo console and the quite outdated specs of the Wii.
J-D's avatar
xenoblade chronicles was a great game but over the past say 2 years, what else has come out? the wii had so much going for it but it was let down by its game line ups
J-D 4 years ago
AlisterCat's avatar
Wii has been waaaaay more profitable though. Though you're right, and Nintendo have started taking their first losses. The Wii was never about the games for Nintendo though.
AlisterCat 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Lets face it though, the massive drop off in Wii sales numbers hasn't directly translated into Wii U sales, has it? Not even slightly. More likely the casual market that made the Wii such a success has just lost interest in Nintendo, as has specualted just about everywhere by this point.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
Xbox is definately my favourite console of the currant gen by a long long way purely for the ease of use and overall speed of functionality(downloads updates etc)Halo 4 awesome Gears awesome Banjo- Nuts and bolts awesome The Wii hmmmm dont really know what to say about it, Mario galaxy 1 and 2are excellent games the Zeldas were excellent games other than that im struggling.I really hope the Wii U and Nintendo pull theyre collective thumbs out of theyre @rses and sort the U out for me at the moment it just aint happening
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
How many of those are people rebuying it because the system failed a few years down the line? Most people I know are onto their 3rd now.
PrometheusFan's avatar
True, it's had it's reliability issues (To put it mildly), but that doesn't make the amount it's sold(and continues to sell) in the UK anything to sniff at either. 360 games pretty much own the charts over here nowadays.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
In all seriousness, I would not be surprised if by the time factory production ceases on all current gen consoles both the 360 and PS3 have overtaken worldwide sales of the Wii... not just UK sales alone, but full WW numbers. A scenario that would have been unthinkable even two years ago.
Gummy's avatar
Gummy 4 years ago
It's a surprise it didn't happen already. I thought the 360 was very popular here, and like somebody already said, most had to buy more than one Xbox. And 'unsurprisingly' the DS is one of the top two? Surprised me!
Simon 4 years ago
I thought 360 was one of the top consoles, at least over the Wii.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I think the impressive thing to note there, is that the Wii came out a year (more or less) after the Xbox 360, and it has taken a massive sales drop and a brand new console to allow MS to overtake in sales. That's a pretty impressive feat from any game console manufacturer. I'm not a "fanboy" towards any console, the only console this gen I haven't owned is the WiiU and that's not for not liking it, it's just a wait for a slight price drop. And while the PS3 willbe way down that list, it's impressive to see a machine aimed less at "core" players and more at family gatherings to do that well against a behemoth like the 360!
TOM 4 years ago
True that trouble maker, but the wii has for the past 2 years really just been a Wii fit machine and wii sports machine. Which is great for people who use that but really it has not been a core gaming console for a long time imo, Maybe ignoring Kirby yarn (forget the name), Galaxy 2, Xenoblade, last story (maaybe Metroid?), Skyward Sword. Saying that, if that is the case it is still a feat that it took another console this long to catch up (in the Uk only remember though).
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Don't forget the Red ring of death fiasco! forced a few of us to have numerous consoles. Personally a had it once and got it replaced, but i have had 4 Xbox's myself
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
shocking! but with the red ring i can understand to be honest hope the new xbox doesnt have these problems!
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 4 years ago
Whilst Nintendo has undoubtedly had the greater profitability on console sales, I'd like to think Microsoft has managed to claw back some money through LIVE and other software sales. Though, I do agree with many of the people who have brought up the RROD issue. I'm on my fourth console, though, thankfully, I've only paid for two of them. I mean, I'm also on my second Playstation 3 after getting the YLOD. So, yeah, seems as though the more advanced the tech, the more problematic it becomes (though, with the original 360s, a lot was down to chip manufacture and TERRIBLE airflow through the interior after late additions were made to the design). I'm also still disappointed that the 360s are no longer piano black. You know, just in case this one also dies on me! Haha.
WoodySteW's avatar
WoodySteW 4 years ago
This surprises me greatly! I thought the wii was coming to the end of its life. I mean if you go to trade in a wii at a game shop, they will offer you about £30! not a lot at all! But although Nintendo have always been great console developers (from such an early start too) i don't think they can currently surpass the current gen PS3 and XBox, although they have moved into a different direction to them, aiming for the family audience rather than the gaming audience. But Nintendo do deserve the right to be incredible with such games as Zelda and Mario .... I cant think of any game that (when the same kind of style of game - ie platform or cartoon explorer) isnt compared to them when playing! but congratulations to Microsoft for yet another year of good sales, shame there wasnt any statistics for the PS3 as im sure they would have been just as high.
flop1981's avatar
flop1981 4 years ago
As a former Sega hardcore gamer and console owner, when Sega decided to concentrate on games instead of making consoles, the only and easiest choice for me was the Xbox 360. The games are great and I love the controller configuration and feel. Im sure im not the only Sega fan who did the same.