Nintendo cuts sales projections for Wii U to 4.4 million for financial year end

Nintendo has released its latest sales forecasts for the year ending March 2013.

The report, send directly to us by Nintendo, shows that the company has raised its full-year profits expectations to 14 billion Yen (97.6m GBP) following the launch of the Wii U console. The company actually made 14.5 Yen in profit up to December 31, 2012, however notes that "the Wii U hardware sales have a negative impact on Nintendo's profits" with an operating loss of 5.8 billion Yen.

Nintendo, which shipped 3 million Wii U consoles since launch, also reveals that it now expects to sell 4 million Wii U consoles by the end of March 2013, which is around 1.5 million less than it had previously predicted to sell when it first made these forecasts back in October. Projections for 3DS have also been cut to 15 million units, rather than 17.5 million.

Nintendo is at least making plenty of money on its software. Here's a breakdown of Nintendo's best-selling software and the units sold so far:

Best Selling Software

New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U) - 2.01 million
Nintendo Land (Wii U) - 2.33 million
Pokemon Black Version 2/ Pokemon White Version 2 (DS) - 7.63 million
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - 5.96 million
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) - 2.73 million
Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) - 12.71 million
Mario Kart 7 (3DS) - 39.56 million

Edited On 30 Jan, 2013

Comments
Makes sense, they were being a tad optimistic with their original predictions considering the economic climate. The main thing is they are making money, and as long as they are there is nothing to worry about, and any claims of doom and gloom are over exaggerated and premature.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Expected. Nintendo was overestimating the appeal of the Wii U right up until launch, so they've clearly been taken by surprise as many were by the abysmal sales of their new console. They've even more heavily revised down Wii U software sales, which they originally projected to reach 25 million units, but now they're projecting 16 million. That's a massive cut, but hardly shocking when the only Wii U game anyone is buying is Mario Bros. Worth keeping in mind these heavily downscaled projections are coming off of only two months worth of retail time for the Wii U... how are things going to look in another year if Wii U continues to do as badly as it has been?
Silly Billy's avatar
Still better than the Vita ;)
Silly Billy 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
At last count it was still behind the Vita in WW hardware and combined software sales. Smokescreen all you like, but it's not going to change what a flop the Wii U has been. When "managing to not be doing quite as badly as a console that's been struggling for over a year" becomes an aspiration, shouldn't that tell you something? When the Wii U actually achieves something measurable, let me know, then maybe I'll be impressed.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Silly Billy's avatar
You have such double standards, as you say the Vita has been struggling for a long time, but you still think there is hope for it, but the Wii U has a bit of a slow start and that's it as far as you are concerned, it is a failure. It really isn't a realistic view you know.
Silly Billy 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Where did I say I had "hope" for the Vita exactly? Chances are it's done unless something major happens and I don't believe I've argued otherwise. I've defended it plenty, sure, but I'm under no illusions about it's prospects. The Vita is irrelevant to this discussion though, and that doesn't change the fact the Wii U is most definitely in the same boat right now. "Bit of a slow start" is quite the understatement as well. Tell me, at what point does a "slow start" become a flop launch?
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Comparing the Wii U to the Vita is just....mindblowing. It's a 'next gen' console, not a handheld gaming console.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
I know, but it seems you can't make even make the most plain of observations about the Wii U's situation here (And just about anywhere Nintendo fans post seemingly) without having a barrage of Vita whataboutery rammed down your throat.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
TOM 4 years ago
That is not bad really, especially when there is not much out there for the wii U that people have not played yet/ cannot get somewhere else without shelling out loads of money (Zombi U being the exception). Saying that I do enjoy my Wii U.
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
I wish I was 'suffering' from 'catastrophic' sales figures of X-millions instead of Y-millions! Quite ridiculous (for some obsevers) to put-down a new console with a user base of 3 million already since its launch. So what if they aren't hitting their lofty targets? If users buy two games then Nintendo make money - according to their own data. I have 2 games on the system, more will follow in due time! ;)
WoodySteW's avatar
WoodySteW 4 years ago
Cant believe they expected to sell that many to begin with! I have always said that i would never buy a console until there are at least 5 games out for it that i really want. this will be my reason for not buying the ps4 when it first comes out too! shame that they were too optimistic about it, hope this doesnt affect their developing skills or confidence because the Wii U will take off completely eventually, just right now the economy is kinda bad and there arent enough games released. although Barada makes a good point .... i wouldnt mind a catastrophic loss but still get millions.
Barada's avatar
I'd like to play Nano Assault Neo and Trine 2 from the e-shop, so that'd be four games I'd have played on the Wii U (Nintendoland and Super Mario Bros 2 being the others).
Barada 4 years ago