Iwata "no price cut for Wii U"

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has ruled out a Wii U price cut, despite the system performing under expectations.

Speaking to investors about the console's performance, Iwata said "sales of Wii U progressed favourably in the beginning except for the imbalance of supply and demand between the Wii U Deluxe set and the Wii U Basic set. However, since we were unable to incite enough excitement in society, we have failed to maintain its momentum after the turn of the year."

Iwata also added that "We have yet to communicate its value to the wider public. To put it another way, we delivered Wii U to those consumers who we thought would be the first to buy it, but information has not successfully been passed on to those consumers who we think will be the next people to buy it.

"In addition to this, because of some delays on the development side, we were unable to continuously supply software at the beginning of this calendar year. This has further upset our scenario for market penetration, for which momentum is the key."

Iwata also went on to say that he feels Nintendo has priced the Wii U perfectly, so it is not planning on reducing the cost any time soon.

"With Wii U, we have taken a rather resolute stance in pricing it below its manufacturing cost, so we are not planning to perform a markdown. I would like to make this point absolutely clear.

Of course the Wii U has yet to hit its stride, with titles such as Monster Hunter 4, LEGO City: Undercover set to arrive soon. In the future of course the usual suspects will also arrive, with Mario Kart, Zelda and a new Mario game sure to get consumers falling over each other to buy the system.

The main question is how will the Wii U survive once the next generation of consoles arrive? It seems at least Nintendo are confident, and perhaps it should be given its track record.

Edited On 31 Jan, 2013

Comments
Nintendo will be fine, sales will pick up once the must have titles start arriving, which isn't far off now.
troublemaker's avatar
There are a few "Must haves" on the way that will convince the masses. I'm interested to see how it does once games like Colonial Marines arrives. Personally, a price cut would be welcome. Not that the machine is too expensive, I'm not sure I can justify another console at it's full price
troublemaker 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
I remember reading much the same about the Gamecube, yet the big Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart games didn't do it much good, and it actually had some big third party exclusives as well as those! And which system moving "must haves" are not far off now?
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
I would say, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover and Rayman. Those are the ones that interest me the most.
troublemaker 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Aliens is a multi-platform though yeah? Wouldn't be much of an incentive to buy. I don't think the console will do as well as the Wii has done, and it won't do as well as the PS4/xbox either. But I can see Nintendo continuing to turn profits on it, which is what they'll be happy about.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I think the incentive with getting it for wii u is the radar on the gamepad. I think the console will well and compete with the next gen xbox and ps3. it just needs time, and it also has a very big head start!
Rachael 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
im not getting 1 at the price they are.. lower it ill be tempted
Aminu 4 years ago
I fear for this consoles future. If its underperformiing when its competition is only consoles that have been around for years, then how will it cope when the next xbox/ps3 roll around? Unless its planning a steady stream of Triple A releases, its going to struggle. Will pick one up for NG3 but thats about it. I hope Nintendo have a trick up their sleeves.
Nintendo always have a few tricks up their sleeves.
PrometheusFan's avatar
The trick up their sleeve with the 3DS was cutting the price so it was literally the same price as it's predecessor, giving people interested in a Nintendo handheld no reason to NOT get the 3DS. There's nothing equivalent to that they can do with the Wii U, and clearly third parties aren't interested, so securing big name exclusives is pretty much out of the question... it could be that old Ninty is out of tricks to pull at this point.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
They also started to pump out more games for it too. Look at the sales for Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land. I think even now they're still managing to sell pretty well. (as opposed to just about everything else release two years ago unfortunately.)
Robichoico 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Those games were always coming though.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I would think they will have to consider reducing it in the summer as consumers are going to have the decision of buy a wii U or save up to buy new xbox or playstation.
By the summer there will be plenty more games and more announced, and the other next gen consoles will probably have been revealed to be more expensive.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Iwata isn't going to say they're dropping the price until they actually drop the price. That's how it happened with the 3DS, it's how it'll happen with the Wii U. Presumably at some point in the next few months when next gen consoles are revealed... maybe at GDC time?
dr.sanchez's avatar
dr.sanchez 4 years ago
I refuse to even consider buying a Wii U until it reaches the price point it should have had in the first place in terms of the exchange rate. PAL region gamers ain't gonna take that crap anymore Nintendo!
Nintendo did not set the price, they let the retailers do that, and they all stuck around the same price.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Of course they set the price. If not, Amazon would just sell it for £180-220 to guarantee it sells and make them money. The reason they know they'll make a profit after one game is because of the price they sell it for.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Actually, that "profitable after one game" myth is false. Reggie Fils Aimes corrected, saying he was misquoted when what he meant was that so long as people aren't just buying one game for the system then it's profitable for them. He of course did not specify HOW many games they need to sell for it to be profitable for them exactly, but I'd hope for their sakes it's no more than 2, as there are only 2 games for Wii U the few people who have actually bought the console are buying. So as of now, there's a very real chance they're making nothing but losses off the Wii U right now.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
ashmanmosh's avatar
ashmanmosh 4 years ago
That's a shame, as I was looking forward to picking one up once the price drops. Ah well I'll just wait for 4/Orbis then! :-D
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
Nintendo shouldn't be concerned; its a billion-dollar company with many assets and well-known franchises to call its own - fans aren't going to go anywhere - price-drops or not. ;)
They aren't concerned, no matter what the doomsayers say.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Wow, just read the details of Iwata's big day and it makes bleak reading.. Basically, he, The head of the company, was putting his career on the line with his investors in taking responsibility for the company's two straight years of losses and the current failure of the Wii U during a conference call in which he admitted Nintendo can no longer convince third parties to consider exclusive titles on Nintendo home consoles unless they're crossover projects co-funded and co-developed by Nintendo themselves. This coupled with Nintendo's current lack of support with regard to multiplatform games (Or indeed, any western support) and them now having to provide financial incentives for Japanese developers to release their 3DS games outside Japan (Which they've been hesitant to bother doing thus far due to 3DS relative lack of success in the west compared to Japan) all adds up to a picture of a company getting desperate for the appearance of support even if there isn't really any there.
Aminu 4 years ago
Kevin? do you hate Nintendo lol
PrometheusFan's avatar
"Hate"? No, that wouldn't be the word I'd use... The Wii U is actually the first Nintendo console that I won't be buying. I've just been extremely disappointed in the company in general the past few years and think their current reversal of fortunes is, to a degree, well deserved. I take no pleasure in Nintendo's current situation, despite what some on here seem to think... but I AM absolutely fascinated by it.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Silly Billy's avatar
Fascinated?
The correct word would be obsessed.
Silly Billy 4 years ago
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
Kevin my man I echo what you are saying 100% Wii U is the first Nintendo console I havent owned as yet, Lets just see whats around the corner but as I said I think the other day Its gonna take quite a bit too get me excited so far only Lego undercover has sort of got me slightly interested at the moment
PrometheusFan's avatar
Lego Undercover looks like it could be decent, but it's one of those titles like Rayman Legends where I can't shake the feeling it'll just end up on another console before the year's out... especially likely when sales for the Wii U versions of them roll in.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Nintendo didn't set the price for the UK. Evident that Amazon put it up for £200 initially and a certain other retailer (they rhyme with Fame. You know the one. The one that ALWAYS overcharges on everything.) put it up for £300 and then amazon quickly changed. If people were that bothered about a price they woulda picked it up when Zavvi did the same pack for £225 a few weeks back. Clearly this isn't the issue for some people. On the plus side. There's tons of games coming out in between now and E3. With more on the horizon. Same cannot be said for a certain Handheld console that has very little coming out and also no price drop.
PrometheusFan's avatar
So you're climbing aboard the irrelevant Vita whataboutery train then, Robi? That's a shame but I guess Gloria and Davey H could use the company. Also, "tons" of games is a serious exagerration, and there's not one Wii U game in that line up that going to shift consoles, so don't go getting your hopes up too high.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
I own a Vita. But even I admit that it was the biggest waste of money I ever spent and shoulda been at least £50 cheaper (and I wheeled and dealed to get £50 off the price as it was.) It's kinda unfair to jump on the Wii U after 2 months when that is sitting there coming up to a year after release. And I couldn't care less about shifting consoles. All I see is about 10 games that I know I'll be picking up on launch or close to launch. As long as Nintendo continue to pump out games for it it's money worth spent. Maybe you should start playing games instead of being concerned with what is popular and what isn't. If not go play COD with the rest of them. You won't be missed.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Silly Billy's avatar
I don't need any company, not being in the minority, like you Kevin.
Silly Billy 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
So basically, the entire fact that amazon had it on for £200 then switched it to £300 is the argument for Nintendo not setting the price for the Wii U? Ok, that seems fairly reasonable.......[/sarcasm]
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Davey, I honestly don't understand what you're implying with that post. 'Minority' in what sense? And Robi, most of the games I like tend to sell like crap... Popularity is not a factor in my enjoyment. Plus, if I was you I'd sell that Vita if it upsets you so much.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Akira_Tenshi's avatar
Akira_Tenshi 4 years ago
Not surprising.
WoodySteW's avatar
WoodySteW 4 years ago
thinking about it, here in the UK i havent seen very much advertising for the Wii U ..... the only information i have been getting is from websites in which i am googling for. maybe they were too focused on what they are offering than selling it? if they let out a few videos like the ones i have seen on the internet, then maybe the hype will pick up? i just hope nintendo continue to keep their hopes up, they will get their break someday! I will be buying one when more games come out :)
flop1981's avatar
flop1981 4 years ago
It's still too expensive and not that many games out for it at the moment. I will hold off until the price goes down and some decent games like Zelda come out.