Grand Theft Auto V releases September 17th 2013

Rockstar Games have announced that the fifth instalment in the hugely popular Grand Theft Auto series will be releasing September 17th 2013.

Rockstar stated that the delay was in order to give the game more of a completed polish.

"We know this is about four months later than originally planned and we know that this short delay will come as a disappointment to many of you, but, trust us, it will be worth the extra time. GTAV is a massively ambitious and complex game and it simply needs a little more polish to be of the standard we and, more importantly, you require.

To all Grand Theft Auto fans, please accept our apologies for the delay, and our promise that the entire team here is working very hard to make the game all it can be. We are doing all we can to help ensure it will meet if not exceed your expectations come September - we thank you for your support and patience."

Grand Theft Auto V will be out on September 17th 2013. You can preorder the game below on PS3 and Xbox 360 from ShopTo.

Edited On 31 Jan, 2013

Comments
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
Bang goes my girlfriend's idea of a birthday present with this new release date! Will be months beyond presumptive original date - oh well, all good things...and all that! ;)
Rachael 4 years ago
September?!?!? i was expecting it april may time :( well that sucks. Surprising aswell because if the next gen is due sept october time will this be for PS3 or the next gen? or both?
Barada's avatar
Could be both, or a next-gen arriving much later. Nintendo did a similar thing with 'Twilight Princess' for GC and Wii.
Barada 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Saying they might be doing it with Fifa aswell, so it's a possibility.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I was just hoping it would have been april time so it could have tied me other till the september october releases.
Rachael 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Well this is a kick in the balls. Suppose it will give me some time to get through the march release games.
amd500's avatar
amd500 4 years ago
Since when is September considered Spring 2013?
Barada's avatar
Well, if it arrived in Spring, the day-one patch would probably be as big as the original source code! ;)
Barada 4 years ago
ashmanmosh's avatar
ashmanmosh 4 years ago
Atleast they have announced a proper date now instead of a season! Still a shame it's been delayed but if it further betters the final product then the delay is welcome in my opinion :-)
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
woooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! do i sound excited enough for this news... no? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! ive been waiting for this day for so long.. yes its ages away but i now know it hasnt been rushed and will be amazing
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I must be one of the only people that is not excited by this game surprised at the late release date as its pushing it close to new console releases and pushing into comepetion with FIFA and Call of Duty (I am presuming there will be another one this year)
J-D's avatar
J-D 4 years ago
its a shame but hey if it means we get a 100% finished product then i say keep it till its ready, games these days have more patches than a dog pound.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Oooh... looks like Rockstar are only just going to get the game out there before the new Xbox comes out. Here's hoping the new console clamour doesn't hit the game's buzz too hard.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
Thats cool, now we have the release date can i place my pre order for the ludicrously cool special edition now please my GTA4 safe deposit box to me is way the best special edition ive ever got
Gummy's avatar
Gummy 4 years ago
Eh, it's better for them to take their time rather than rush it out the door with the whole "oh well, we can just patch it" mentality. Good on them if they decided to polish it a bit first. Looking forwards to it, we need a good new GTA on the PS3/360 (couldn't get into 4).
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Meh. After Max Payne, L.A Noire, RDR (ok game but not worth full price) and GTA IV Rockstar will think themselves glad that I'll pay anything for the game new. I predict I'll have it in January 2014 once the price nosedives. Shame they couldn't have got it out pre-summer game lull.
Datastatic's avatar
Agree, agree, WRONG, agree. I couldn't give 2 ****s about GTA V as in my opinion there hasn't been a decent once since Vice City but I would lose a kidney for a new Red Dead.
Datastatic 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
My problem with RDR was that there wasn't much challenge in it. And I felt the world was too big with not enough to do. It wasn't a bad game but I just felt a bad taste after paying full price for it. I gotta agree about Vice City being the last good one tho. San Andreas was OK but just didn't like the gangsta theme for it. Chinatown Wars for the DS (didn't play the PSP ver. Was it different?) however was pretty fun.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
Chinatown Wars was pretty much the same on PSP. I respect your opinions on all things, but you are so wrong with RDR, it is by far the best Rockstar game (except maybe Space Station Silicon Valley which wasn't technically Rockstar) and there is LOADS to do in it.
Datastatic 4 years ago
RDR is truely a classic. I would welcome a sequel with open arms and play that to death aswell. I have played the story alone 3 times lol
Rachael 4 years ago
DJH117's avatar
DJH117 4 years ago
So much for a Spring release window then. :(
Akira_Tenshi's avatar
Akira_Tenshi 4 years ago
I was hoping for an earlier release date but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I'd rather have a better polished game with less bugs than a Fallout New Vegas glitch haven 4 months earlier! should be worth the wait.
CookieMcCrumble's avatar
CookieMcCrumble 4 years ago
+1 for the more development time = fewer bugs and a better game. I'd happily give them more if it meant a better experience. But who knows, they might be aiming for a next-gen simultaneous release, hence the later date.
Barada's avatar
Be wary of release dates, sometimes it's just about a business decision, rather than concerns about a 'better game' or 'fewer bugs'. I'm sure getting a September release (pre-Christmas) looks more promising in a financial sense than being lost in the Summer shuffle. But then this GTA V we're talking about = license to print money.
Barada 4 years ago
dr.sanchez's avatar
dr.sanchez 4 years ago
Not too disappointed as it gives me time to focus on other games like Dead Space 3, Ni No Kuni, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Last of Us, ect. Plus my expectations for this one are not as high as they used to be, mainly thanks to GTA IV being quite dull bar the DLC's, which were great.
WoodySteW's avatar
WoodySteW 4 years ago
I wish i could say some really insightful opinions right now, but i havent played GTA since vice city, that game rocked! but ive heard from friends that GTAIV wasnt as good as they had hoped. However, iit is great to hear that they are moving the date back to ensure that this game is polished to perfection! I think that is when good games are made, when time, effort and planning is put into order. This is why i believe it is right for GTA to hold back for now and just to keep us in the loop. maybe i should borrow one of my friends GTAs and try it out for myself? or just buy it from shopto :p
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
For sheer fun factor, Saints Row The Third blew GTA IV away; it took all the elements that players like from GTA and upped it to another level. Where as GTA replicated the scum and villainy of the underworld and revelled in own caricature - Saints Row just said to hell with taking it all serious and straight-faced - you want crazy action, just go out and do what you want! I wonder if GTA V will keep to the formulaic approach of portraying an indifferent world of thuggery and violence, or step ever-closer to Saints Row, and knowingly allow the gamer to 'just have fun with the nonsense' premise. Intriguing..
flop1981's avatar
flop1981 4 years ago
If the delay makes sure the game is perfect with no bugs, then why complain. I wouldn't want to play a game that feels rushed or hastily completed, what's the enjoyment in that?
Bhamkeyx's avatar
Bhamkeyx 4 years ago
I'm sure many people are not too happy about this delay, everyone hoped the game will be released in Spring, not Autumn. Well, it is better to delay the release, than have a game with many glitches released. Good that there are many other great games which will come up between now and September, so gamers will definitely have games to play and enjoy.