Sony is showing us the future of Playstation on February 20th

Sony has just revealed a website and YouTube video announcing that the future of Playstation will be shown on February 20th.

On Twitter, Sony are telling everyone "See the future: http://us.playstation.com/meeting2013 #playstation2013"

Sony are yet to say what the newly announced event will be about, but rumours and speculation say that Sony could be showing off the next addition in the Playstation series.The reveal comes after weeks of possible specification leaks and rumours about the existence of a new home console from the Japanese tech giant.

Sony released this video along with the announcement.

Get Adobe Flash player

For anyone wondering, 6pm EST is 11pm GMT.

So what do you think? Let us know in the comments below.

Edited On 31 Jan, 2013

Comments
Carl-G's avatar
Carl-G 4 years ago
OH GOD!!!!!!!! 20 days of trying not to get hyped now!!!!!!!!!! :-D
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 4 years ago
It's the PS4. Sony did the same with Vita, leaving some more time for features and games to be announced at E3.
Rachael 4 years ago
Unusual for you to do news so late Joe :P I think that it will be the PS4 too, well im hoping anyway.
Joe2120's avatar
Oh I'm always looking for news :)
Joe2120 4 years ago
Jamaican Hype's avatar
Jamaican Hype 4 years ago
I only just bought a PS3 last year May -_-
I only got my PS3 a few weeks ago :P i suppose it serves us right for waiting this long into this gen to get it though.
Rachael 4 years ago
Artemisthemp's avatar
Look on the bright side of things. If the PS4 turns out to not be backwards compatible, then you have PS3 to fall back on.
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
WoodySteW's avatar
WoodySteW 4 years ago
I saw this on my favourite gaming website not one hour ago! I am soooooo excited! This is clearly something of major importance or else Sony would have just announced this as a normal occurance and not created a unique press conference with date and video that hints at the possibilities! ........... It is quite impressive how E3 no longer holds as much of value as it did all those years ago when developers and companies were just starting out, trying to get noticed. But where else to get noticed than the biggest gaming/tech expo in the world! Now that they have their own well recognised name, they can call a conference and it will become a massive phenomenon that millions will view worldwide, making E3 less of what it used to be ...... interesting huh? ........... From the video (to me anyway) it is clear that it is going to be about the PS4. There has been speculation already that it could just be about the new game 'The Last Of Us' but why would they go to such extreme lengths and create a video (which doesnt actualy hint towards such a game) just for one game? i dont think they would. Besides, I think it could possibly hint about the style of the new PS4 .... sleak, black, sharp and possibly glass, as the button symbols seem to glisten and gleam in the light like glass. Hopefully, we will find out soon and then more speculation can be derived! Extremely exciting news!
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
Its a new budget model PSP without a screen and a sequel to Battle Arena Toshinden. Definitely for sure.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
This is good. If there's nothing here to entice people they can get some games working for E3. As long as Sony don't retread themselves with the PS3, Vita and PSP Go for launch then could be fine. But they better damn well announce whats happening with the Last Guardian. That was one of the major reasons I bought a PS3
Obviously the PS4, the timing is a little strange though, either they just want to get in before MS with their announcement, or perhaps the PS4 is coming earlier than we all expected.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I think they're just confident that getting the announcement out before Microsoft could help them. But we can hope about the earlier release date.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I think an earlier release would be quite prudent on Sony's behalf though, with both consoles launching around the same time there is going to be a lot of people who want both consoles but can only afford one, and the first to market will capitalize on that.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Aye. There are 5 type of people out there. People who want the XBOX. People who want the PS. People who want both. People who want neither. And people who will take what their mates have. So if you can target #3 and #5 well, you are going to see a good market advantage, which can make a huge difference.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
Currently my favourite console is the Xbox 360, followed by Wii followed by PS3. Although seeing some of the deals the PS store has over Xbox marketplace lately, PS is looking more attractive. If they released the consoles today, I would probably buy the next Xbox, but it depends on the specs, games / backwards compatibility, and which ever one does not block used games. I will not buy any console that blocks used games, except I may get the Steam console. Some people have said (no doubt from rumours) that the next Xbox is not much more powerful than a Wii U, and if they block used games the Xbox will be no good at all. The PS4 is said to be more powerful than the next Xbox but still far behind the best PC hardware. My future of gaming atm is looking to be PC, Steam and Wii U, but hopefully PS4 will not block used games, and I will get that too. The analyst that said Xbox may die off, and sold off, within 3 years, may end up coming true. If used games are blocked, then I will buy less games, and have more money to keep up with the latest PC Hardware. This is an exciting time and a worrying time, as with all these rumours and nothing solid, I am a 6th type of person - unsure what I want, and I do not think they know what will succeed either. Portable gaming seems to be the more popular, successful, affordable route, but it is not as great / amazing as console gaming.
superniceguy 4 years ago
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I think it is going to a new version of the PlayStation Move lol
CookieMcCrumble's avatar
CookieMcCrumble 4 years ago
Not getting my hopes up too much but it does look suspiciously like a hardware based reveal. But who knows, it could be a new Vita, Move or Eye. But I'd guess, the new console.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I thought someone for sony was saying they wanted microsoft to make the first move on announcing the next console as if the announced first then microsoft could go back and up there specs of there machine was they had seen what sont is offering.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
All just smokescreens probably. They'll either be forcing Microsofts hand with this 3 week away announcement. Or they've tried tricked Microsoft with the 'you go first' technique.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I don't think an announcement would make MS up the specs of their machine, but if they give a launch date then MS may be able to trump them on that, the obvious danger for MS would be rushing out the console to beat Sony to the punch and ending up with another RROD fiasco.
amd500's avatar
amd500 4 years ago
PS4 incoming. Really can't wait for the 20th now. Please show some great launch games and no stupidly high price point.
A2GMAN's avatar
A2GMAN 4 years ago
u never know. it might be something completley differnt.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Almost certainly PS4. Unusually early announcement though, as we were all expecting to come at GDC/post Ascension release. Announcing your new console just as your current one is on the verge of a wave of surefire big selling titles is a very risky move.
Barada's avatar
Always seems to be the case, you wonder where all these titles have been for the past year or two - then we get a flood of them, then its the death knell for the platform announcement! Some class games still getting released right now.
Barada 4 years ago
Glennb's avatar
Glennb 4 years ago
Its the ps4 preorders are opening soon on play-asia.com xbox 720 is there to!
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
Over to you Microsoft
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
Maybe they're scrapping the PS4 and leaping ahead to the PS5 already - the future is yesterday! ;)
Coolsambob's avatar
Coolsambob 4 years ago
I heard that it'll make Xmas in US and Japan, but will slip to 2014 in Europe, because Europe has ball sucking problems. Still, pretty hyped by this news, and 'hyped' is not a word I use often. Or ever.
Barada's avatar
The reason it'll 'slip' to 2014 in Europe, is Sony need to wrench out any frills and 'extras' in the US model and fix a price where they'll make all their money back on the cheap-priced ones they flogged to the Americans. ;)
Barada 4 years ago