More rumours point to PlayStation 4

Sony will announce the PlayStation 4 on February 20 according to the Wall Street Journal. The internet nearly exploded last night when Sony revealed this teaser video, along with the tag line #seethefuture. Now the WSJ cites 'sources familiar with the matter' as saying this event will indeed be host to the reveal of Sony's next console.

The report also mentions that the new PlayStation will launch this year, allowing for a head to head with the new Xbox, which is also said to be launching before the end of 2013.

Sources also tell the site that Sony is planning to incorporate more social gaming aspects into the new machine, with the hardware giant apparently being more focused this time on how users interact with the machine, rather than just thinking of the power under the hood.

Finally the report confirms that AMD chips will be used in the new machine, although this is separate from the Cell technology Sony currently relies upon for its PlayStation 3. Obviously this could introduce compatibility concerns with existing games, built to run on the Cell chip, so we aren't sure how backwards compatibility would come into this, if at all. Remember Sony did buy streaming company Gaikai last year, so perhaps at some point the entire PlayStation catalogue could be streamed using the power of the PlayStation 4?

It's all speculation of course, but we are pretty sure that we will see the first glimpse of the next PlayStation on February 20, hopefully then the other answers will fall into place.

Edited On 01 Feb, 2013

Comments
Aminu 4 years ago
This is.. unbelievable!
Aminu 4 years ago
Why would they ruin it? The games not coming out for ages
Meant this for the god of war post... *facepalm*
Aminu 4 years ago
CookieMcCrumble's avatar
CookieMcCrumble 4 years ago
More fuel to the fire, it certainly looks like February is the month to be a PlayStation fan. Looking forward to the 20th now :)
Glennb's avatar
Glennb 4 years ago
wonder if it is what price tag it will carry mmmm better get saving i want new PS4
Arun1910's avatar
Arun1910 4 years ago
I am sure they will show it as the are advertising the future of playstation, but dont expect any specs to come out. Maybe GTAV will be a launch title?
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 4 years ago
I think Sony have done the right thing in getting it to market for this year, as going toe-to-toe with Xbox is probably seen as a necessity. In addition, a focus on not just power but user interaction as well is definitely sensible. I think people are far more focused on the ease of use of machine as well these days, not just what kind of tech is under the shell (just look at the Wii's popularity). However, I would be disappointed if there was a lack of backwards compatibility. And, I would particularly hate to see a rather cynical approach of them re-releasing many PS3 titles 're-worked' for PS4. At least with many of the PS2 to PS3 ports, you can make the argument with the leap from SD to HD, to do it again might be rather upsetting to consumers. Still, very excited to see what they put on show :)
Gummy's avatar
Gummy 4 years ago
Finally they won't be behind with release. That's sooner than expected, can't wait to see what it looks like. Just make it backwards compatible with PS, PS2, and PS3 games and you'll make a lot of people happy, Sony.
Steven 4 years ago
Whilst I'm really excited for PS4 I'll not be too happy if there's no backwards comparability or trophy/PSN purchases support etc. I guess time will tell.
PrometheusFan's avatar
Trophy compatability is guaranteed, of that you can be sure. Analysis of rumoured tech has suggested the console won't have built in backwards compatability for PS3(Which in turn would eliminate PSN title compatability), but nothing's certain on that score until we see confirmed final specs. And lets not forget that Sony patent for a backwards compatability add on... which could suggest 2 SKUs of the console: one without BC at a lower price and one with at a premium.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Carl-G's avatar
Carl-G 4 years ago
"so perhaps at some point the entire PlayStation catalogue could be streamed using the power of the PlayStation 4?" I could live with that :P But how long would that take? It seems to take ages just to get PS1 & PS2 games on PSN. Oh well. I hope it all goes well for SONY but i just 'KNOW' the internet hate will come :-( + Even if the PS4 comes out at the same time as the Next(WhoCaresOutsideofTheUSA)Box :D it won't be a fair fight as 99% of the internet are on MS side(GOD knows why) lol
amd500's avatar
amd500 4 years ago
Can't wait for the 20th.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
If there is no back compatibility, I would just keep my PS3 in my bedroom for blu-rays and my PS4 in the living room. If they do start releasing PS3 games on the PS4 to stream, I hope it is a simple 'you own the game, you can stream it' rather than a repurchase of said game.
Akira_Tenshi's avatar
Akira_Tenshi 4 years ago
It is worth noting that this would contradict earlier statements from Sony where they said they could not announce a new console until May at the earliest and they would also let Microsoft go first.
PrometheusFan's avatar
That's not really contradicting anything as much as it is doing things differently from what they led everyone to believe.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Silly Billy's avatar
Which is a perfect example of contradiction.
Silly Billy 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Seems it's all but a guarantee this is a surprise early PS4 reveal. I wouldn't have seen it coming this soon.
Rachael 4 years ago
So excited :D Will be interesting with what details they decide to reveal on the 20th, Maybe some pricing? as i need to start saving soon! Backwards compability doesnt bother me too much as i will just keep my Ps3 aswell.
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
Backward compatibility isn't in a company's interest, they want to re-sell the old games back to you for eternity. Some might be classics and worth a re-play over the years, but many times, you do wonder what the fuss was all about! ;)
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
Hopefully they will say whether the console can play preowned games or not. If it can not I think it will kill the PS4 (and Next Xbox), and people move to PCs / Tablets / mobile gaming and the Steam console. Even if you do not play preowned, and buy new, then it still takes away the option to sell the console and games aftwards to get the new stuff. I was once a mad Dreamcast fan, and could not see myself parting with the console or the games, but now I can vs getting new stuff, as I just have too much stuff, and it is either live with the old or sell the old and get new, I do not have room anymore to keep old games and consoles and then buy more. If after the PS4 has run its course, and you can not sell it due to used games being blocked, then I think I will just keep playing the games and consoles I have bought over the last 15 years or so, as I have not played them all and thoroughly and there is still room to get enjoyment out of them. Then I will just keep up with the latest games through my PC or the Steam console, and just miss out on the odd few Xbox and PS exclusives. With Steam sales you can get pretty good bargains, and buy fairly recent AAA games for as litte as about £3. I think a lot of people will go this way if consoles block used games, as it just means too much disposable spending. At least with current consoles you can resell it and get your money back, and is a backup if you end up getting into financial crisis. You may not want to sell the games, but you may have to. Blocking used games takes that bit of security away, and if you have run out of room to store more new games, and you really do not want the game any more, then the only option is to throw it away. With PCs and the Steam console, they should carry on into the future, and be able to still play it 15 years from now. I can still play Tomb Raider 1 and a lot of games released over the last 15 years on my latest PC. Games Consoles are starting to lose their charm, and what makes them special - just plug in and play, share / swap games with friends etc and allowing future consoles to keep playing used games, will be what will keep them special, and internet / streaming should be an added bonus, otherwise the Steam console will end up being more attractive as it is just a small PC which has always been mostly backwards compatible
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Wonder is the PS4 will look like a George Foreman Grill aswell?
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Agreed. I hate the look of the new one, but figure they sacrificed looks to get a cheaper console out.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
I wouldn't say I hate it, just makes me want a cheese and bean toastie whenever i see pic's of it lol
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Had the shiny 80GB PS3; only to upgrade it to a 320GB one; doesn't have the same visual aesthetic, in fact you'd be hard-pressed to think anything of it! Plays great games = job done!
Barada 4 years ago
rick75fowler's avatar
rick75fowler 4 years ago
will we see xbox play there hand soon then if they wanna keep up with sony release tatics if thats the rumour ,surly xbox have gotta get there promo out sharpish. i reckon the design will be a slick shiney version on the ps2 :) and i reckon the price for the full monty will be 499.99 with one game!!!
WoodySteW's avatar
WoodySteW 4 years ago
either way, the next gen games consoles should be an ultimate buy! i think it is great that sony are coming into the market first as this gives the starting excitement to sony and not microsft........ people may suggest that microsoft in fact have copied ideas from sony and therefore lose some value .... one thing i do hope though is that the keep disks as the way of playing games, people enjoy the feel of the case and being able to grasp the game ....... actually have something physical for their money. yes it would save storage space and possibly more eco friendly, but not everyone has access to good internet? and what happens when the games start becoming so high in memory that they take a day or 2 to download? or you run out of memory on your device? you cant store them on the internet and just stream them off, that would be silly? people have problems woth their internet connection all the time, what if mid game (of one that doesnt save well) you lose connection? BOOM! gotta do the whole stage again, annoying the gaming community and possibly detrimenting the life of the consoles ............. be a silly move to make it all online. Another stupid idea would be to block the disks after they are used in a console ......... im sure they arent that stupid, if they block games then sooooooo many ripples will be created from this massive rock in the lake. bye bye most gaming shops, people will not buy games day of relase as often, no reselling in emergencies, people will move away from the consoles and onto PC, disks become completely useless when not wanted anymore. Also, how could you return a game that doesnt work properly? they would turn around and say 'we arent taking that back, it is now registered to your device and is now void' ............................ dont do something stupid sony and microsoft ................ also please please please PLEASE! make them backwards compatible! i would be so enfuriated if i cannot play my ps3 games on the new PS4 ..... ive already bought the games, dont make me buy them again for a new system .... that would annoy millions of people around the globe and again would detriment how many people bought the console. not many people are rich you know ...........i really hope the console will be beautiful! i want it to be revealed and my mouth to drop as a waterfall of saliva falls out ..... i would call it, the saliva waterfall of want!
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
The internet isn't reliable in the UK; we cannot have an solely online system here. Everyone is on a different speed, there is no common ground for everyone. I still want my games on disc wherever possible - call me retro, call me old-school, there is more value is having a physical product in your hand than just a license to use the product online.