First image of The Witcher 3 revealed?

Could the above be the first image from The Witcher 3?

CD Projekt has sent over an email boasting about its REDengine 3 technology, which it says will "blur the line between pre-rendered CGI movies and real time rendered graphics".

The engine debuted today and is apparently all ready to roll out onto next generation consoles.

"If we look at RPGs nowadays we find two approaches, one which emphasizes the story but limits the game world and one that builds a vast open-world but hampers and simplifies the story," says Adam Badowski, head of CD Projekt RED. "With the REDengine 3 we combine the positive aspects of both approaches for the first time, creating an open environment with a complex, multi-thread story.

"Together with believable characters, a captivating tale and a world where players can roam freely without loading times, we will be able to move gaming to a new level with a realistic feel and full player immersion," he continued. "When working on our previous titles, I didn't dream that we would achieve something like this. Thanks to the support of all our fans, now we have the possibility to use REDengine 3 and create something many RPG fans dream of."

The emails also says that the new engine will make "RPGs comparable to top-shelf shooters, both in terms of game world presentation and the epic proportions of events that the player is drawn into," bringing us "closer to the most life-like world ever created in video games".

CD Projekt will apparently be revealing more on February 5. Exciting.

Edited On 01 Feb, 2013

Comments
Now THIS I am looking forward to. I love how the Witcher has a narrative absolutely rife with moral ambiguity and mature themes that whilst featuring fairly large amounts of blood and sex, don't underpin these facets. Very excited to hear more about this! :)
da_kerr 2 years ago
Seems like everybody is all about revealing at the Moment!! Good to have some excitement on the gaming scene again. This would be a must buy for me, really did enjoy the witcher 2 and REDengine 3 seems pretty good, no loading times between area... cant complain at that! And feb 5th is only a few days away!
Rachael 2 years ago
I like the sound of a more open worl, Witcher 2 was great, but a little too linear.
Gloria 2 years ago
there was times when i looked down to my mini map and it was just corridors within valleys, so im with you on hoping for a more open world experience.
Rachael 2 years ago
Fingers crossed over this :P
Katana190 2 years ago
Just got Witcher 2 on rental, hopefully i will get time to play it this year..
Pyroloveridge 2 years ago
I wish Witcher 3 was also released on Playstation. I haven't played Witcher not Witcher 2, even though I only heared good things about this series and also about CD Projekt RED. I hope to see them start making games on playstation too.
Bhamkeyx 2 years ago
It's a safe bet Witcher 3 will appear on PS4 as well as the new Xbox as current consoles probably can't run the new engine and with PS4 development now so similar to straight PC development, CDP have no reason not to.
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Good news, fingers crossed. I will try to get the Witcher games on a PC and play through them before Witcher 3 comes out.
Bhamkeyx 2 years ago
"closer to the most life-like world ever created in video games." Uh, isn't the reason we play games is because it ISN'T real? If we're not careful, games will lose their 'style' if realism is the ultimate goal - this is escapism, not an urge to be in an alternate reality.
Barada 2 years ago
Im sure that aslong as they dont make a game where you have to go to work 9 - 5, then come home and cook tea, then we will be safe :P
Rachael 2 years ago
They already have the Sims for that! ;)
Barada 2 years ago
oops forgot about that one lol.
Rachael 2 years ago
Not everyone plays games to "escape reality" we play them because they are fun. And just because a game looks realistic does not mean it is, you still do stuff on a game that you couldn't / wont do in real life.
Whitey 2 years ago
I dunno, i occasionally like to go outside, steal some cars and hit people dressed up as mascots with a 5ft Dildo... :P
Rachael 2 years ago
(Saints row the third btw , just incase you havent played it)
Rachael 2 years ago
We'll see how great these games will be when we have realistic 'realism' in a game. At the moment, we got a nice balance of visuals where we can still sense its graphical trickery; it makes the violent games more palatable for a start. Sometimes it helps make a game better if the graphics take on a stylised look; otherwise everything is going to look the same. There are enough games already that are just clones.
Barada 2 years ago
Yeah, Rachael, if Saints Row The Third isn't escaping reality, I don't know what is!? A great, fun game all the same - insane!
Barada 2 years ago
Well yeah i agree it depends on the game, but for me to really get into a deep story within a game then i'd prefer it to be more realistic, with decent graphics. It just draws me into the story more, but then i do also like my fun over the top far from reality games too.
Whitey 2 years ago
i think its hard not to be excited about this and ill be keeping a very close eye on this 1 :D loved number 2
0000000000 2 years ago
All CD Projekt need to do for number 3 is improve the combat. Everything else about The Witcher 2 was pretty much perfect (Graphics, Story, Dialogue, Music, ect.), but the combat, for me, was a little bit hit & miss. Now I liked the whole potion drinking mechanic to buff up your character, but the actual sword fighting itself just felt underwhelming. And maybe have a better ending would also be nice.
dr.sanchez 2 years ago
The 'hit-and-miss' fighting is in Skyrim as well. Game looks and feels great, until you get your weapons out - then it's lottery time! ;)
Barada 2 years ago
I really don't get why some people hate the combat in the Witcher games I personally loved it.
Im all over this ! )
inspector 74 2 years ago
Where? Can't see you anywhere? Hope you clean up afterwards! ;)
Barada 2 years ago
Really hope they've fixed the combat and menu/inventory system because in Witcher 2 those were a mess.
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
VERY pretty - It's a stunning game engine anyway, so this will be on my list of games to look out for!
Afrododger 2 years ago
I really, really, reallyreallyreally fucking hope so! My god. The Witcher series so far has been a total masterpiece. I'm actually replaying the second but on Dark Mode... it's fantastic.
Simon 2 years ago
im replaying the witcher 2 on 360 , love the game. cant wait . hope its tw3..
bunny_1 2 years ago
I hope that CD Projekt will soon release a new game, If I remember correctly, they are currently working on a new game, but their main focus at the moment is most certainly on Witcher 3, that series has brought the fame and success for CD Projekt RED. Their future releases will defintley be worth every penny. I must say, me being a Playstation gamer (CD Projekt RED, not having released a game on that console as of yet) they are much admired and respected by me, and surley most gamers, they listen to their fans and not disrespect them by trying to take as much money from us as it is possible, and there are companies out there, who will do anything to charge us for contents and games which should either be free or sold at much lower price.
Bhamkeyx 2 years ago
ps3 please oh god, make it happen, i would love to play this game.
J-D 2 years ago
Slow down, i still need to play the second one. :(
DJH117 2 years ago
Wouldn't worry bud, you will have a long time till this one comes out.
LFC Bywater 2 years ago
That image looks stunning. Looks like a photograph!
fusearts 2 years ago
Time to buy a new GPU, lol.
Thomas 2 years ago