Rumour: Next PlayStation Controller 'Share' button detailed

Look at us writing a story about a button. What has the gaming news world come to? Anyway, Edge is reporting the next PlayStation will include a share button on its controller which will allow users to record and save 15 minutes of gameplay.

Apparently, users will then be able to edit and share the footage via a "small touchpad" which replaces the Select, Start and PS buttons." Interestingly the tech is said to be based on the Vita touchpad.

Edge's 'source' also confirms previously leaked details such as the console having 4GB of DDR3 RAM, and including GDDR5 which is "capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second."

Further details say the console will launch in the US in November, with a early 2014 release for Europe.

Expect concrete information about the new PlayStation on February 20 - Well unless Sony is just messing with our heads.

Edited On 01 Feb, 2013

Comments
All the controllers are becoming their own little handhelds now; the Wii U has started it all off! Sounds intriguing..Touch me!
Barada 2 years ago
Dreamcast actually.
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Don't think I ever really used the VMU units when playing games on it! What actual purpose did they have? ;) I bought cheap 3rd party memory packs!
Barada 2 years ago
sounds pretty neat idea to me im wondering if this new controller gonna be a totally new design i do hope so and bigger
rick75fowler 2 years ago
To be honest I'm against changing the design of the duelshock I don't see any reason to mess with something that is perfect I would hate to have to use a different shape controller which is massive and includes a screen for what ever purpose! Plus the price of the ds3 is already £40! How much would 1 of these new screen included 1s cost?
Marksy7 2 years ago
That's right. Release in early 2014. After the Christmas rush so the people who are looking to buy a new console for Christmas won't buy it. And at a time when most people are skint from Christmas. I'm guessing it's to avoid an end of financial year so when the next one comes around they can show a years worth of sales instead of the first few months. Controller sounds like it can go two ways. Big like the Wii U then great. Too small and sounds like a pointless upgrade (because I sure aint paying extra money for a controller that can share stuff.) Speaking of the controller. If they are gonna do it like the Wii U then I'd love to see Sony release a budget version of the PS4 that comes with a regular controller and the option to use the Vita as the controller instead.
Robichoico 2 years ago
Releasing before Christmas is no guarantee of success with games consoles though, as we have recently seen with the Wii U.
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
I hope it will not too many changes, I'm used to the DualShock Controller, and the layout has been pretty much the same throughout the years. Hopefuly it will be something to get used to easier, in terms of size, it can be a little bit bigger and more comfortable, the rest I would prefer to stay as it is, but i'm sure, even if the new controller turns out to be bad, they will come back to the original one.
Bhamkeyx 2 years ago
It's a neat idea and all, but I really like the controller just how they are now. Looks like that expensive recording equipment was a waste, ah well. It'll make a lot of people happy for sure. Could be slightly annoying if you press it by mistake though.
Gummy 2 years ago
I am not interested in this at all really, I use my console to play games, for my enjoyment. I know this will suit certain people who feel the need to stream everything online but it's not for me, and i wouldn't be too happy spending extra for something i would not be using.
Rachael 2 years ago
Sounds interesting, but this would definitely add to the costs. I'm just going to remind you all that there is a reason is says "Rumour" in the title.
Paddy 027 2 years ago
Gimmicky it may be, but stuff like this does sound cool!
shiny miller 2 years ago
I don't know where some people are getting the idea this new controller is going to have a screen or that it needs to be any more expensive than the current Dualshock is. Not every console needs a prohibitively expensive controller coming with it.
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Well, I did make an assumption they might go down the Wii U route, but I know as much as anyone else (which isn't much!). ;)
Barada 2 years ago
With this, it doesn't seem like it's changing the shape of the controller, just replacing the middlepart, and if that is the case, I'll be more happy. I'd prefer the controller to be the same, but if it's the same shape, then it won't be the worst case scenario. I have an Elgato so wouldn't need the function of sharing videos.
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
I wonder how long they will keep with the tried-and-tested design? It has worked brilliantly for years - it would be surprising to see them ditch it, if at all. I do think their shoulder buttons could be refined slightly (nothing major) - especially if it's fingered often in driving or shooters a lot it can be numbing! ;) The Xbox also has its issues, namely the naff D-Pad - you can't trust it each and every time - which is a real shame, feels good otherwise.
Barada 2 years ago
im expecting the pad to have a "store" button on it.
J-D 2 years ago
I think its time for new controller probem is us humans do not like change very much myself persoally feel the dualshok is to light and flimsy the joysticks are to central the shoulder pads are prone to braking,ive managed this long but i feel it needs a revamp.
rick75fowler 2 years ago
Well, the last controller to give up the fight for me was my well-used Gamecube controller, oh, nearly forgot, one of our original Wii remote's decided it didn't want to take part anymore. So far, Xbox and PS2/PS3 controllers all keep working! ;)
Barada 2 years ago
I really like social functionality in games, so this is a nice idea and I hope a screenshot option will be integrated in the firmware too. Although I hope this doesn't change the design much, I quite like the design of DS3, it look really neat and holds nicely if you have smaller hands (speaking as a female), while the xbox controller looks like hell to me. I hope Sony doesn't go much bigger with the new controller.
Salvo 2 years ago
I do worry that Youtube will be flooded even more with 15 min clips of boss battles and spoilers - even more so than it already is - at least most people give you warnings, will this function be as forgiving?
Barada 2 years ago
You see salvo the controller is ok if you got small hands thats the problem with it,i have large hands and it dont sit right in my hands to be honest i rather use the xbox controller if i could as its the right size and weight and yes plenty women i know use it ok :)
rick75fowler 2 years ago