Madden 14 is Madden 25

This year's Madden game from EA will ditch the usual '2014' name and instead be known as Madden 25.

The move is to help celebrate the series 25th anniversary, a series which has so far sold around 99 million units worldwide since it first began. Madden originally arrived in 1988 on personal computers, before adding the NFL license in 1994, since then it has appeared on every system since.

Madden 25 should push series sales over the 100 million mark. Whose to bet against the game going another 25 years?

Edited On 04 Feb, 2013

Comments
I wonder if they'll be doing the same with FIFA, that must have been going just as long.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
i count 37 on good old wikipedia, not including management games
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
But does that include things like FIFA Street and the UEFA games?
Pyroloveridge's avatar
i didn't count UEFA lol, bloody ridiculous considering Italia 90 was the best football game ever created..
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
My favourite was Sega Soccer Slam, great fun game.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
oh god i'd completely forgot that. time for a reboot
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
world cup 98 was the best fifa before fifa 13 i think :D
0000000000 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
I've never actually put a Madden game on my tag, I think the last was on the PS2. However, after recently getting back into the NFL (I'm from the UK), and loving last nights superbowl (Go Ravens!!!), I think I'm gonna be grabbing this on day 1!
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Madden games are great but the only thing they suffer from is having no competition. I have bought a madden game for the last six years but there isn't another title that encourages madden to up their game at all, meaning that sometimes it does feel like a half assed attempt. Still good fun though.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
They did improve it a lot this year with the connected careers. I really don't see the point in doing this though. Offer out some special history-nba2k style teams and that, but just call it 14. It's going to cause trouble when 25 comes out...
shiny miller's avatar
I was wondering that! I guess they'll just call if Madden 2025 instead.
shiny miller 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I remember EA stating that this was to celebrate the INNOVATION used in those games. It made me laugh so much I nearly fell off the chair.
NokkonWud's avatar
NokkonWud 4 years ago
Love the Madden games, buy them every year and even better is that my team just took the Superbowl last night so I'm expecting an Elite level Joe Flacco and a super high R. Lewis. More reasons to get excited for it!
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
if anyone could explain a dummies guide to american football i would be very grateful
LFC Bywater's avatar
You would need more than that i'm afraid lol The best way to learn is to watch, but i'm afraid you are a bit late for that as the final game was last night.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
neohawk's avatar
A team has 4 attempts to move the ball 10 yards, if they fail on the first 3 they have the choice to take a 4th attempt at it or kick (punt) it back to the other team. If they manage to get the 10 yards they get another 4 attempts at the next 10 yards and so on until they either get a touchdown (7 pts, get ball into oppositions end zone on a normal passing or running play), field goal (3pts, kick the ball between the goal posts) or punt the ball away. If an opponents player catches a pass they take control of the ball, if a player drops the ball after having full control of it then it is a fumble and whichever team recovers the ball will take control of it. I really can't be bothered to go on...
neohawk 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
might sound like a question that noone cares about but what happens when we get to 2025?
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
if i got a cheap one from years ago from cex like 08 would i be able to learn that way?
LFC Bywater's avatar
I don't think that you would have to go that far back to pick up a cheap one, but yeah that would help. Basics are that the team on the ball have attempts (downs) to reach 10 yards from the original ball position. If you manage to reach the ball that far then u gain another 4 attempts to get the ball to 10 yards from that spot until you get to the touchdown area. It is a very enjoyable yet complicated game to play.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Interesting to note that EA have ditched all Nintendo platforms for this year's Madden game as well. Including Wii U. Will be interesting to see what happens with FIFA 14...
Robichoico's avatar
EA spat their dummy out cus they were expecting Nintendo to use their Origin servers. And then didn't. Or they spat their dummy out because they expected people to gobble up their half assed ports at full price. As for Fifa. I believe the Wii U was in the same position in that they got Fifa 12 re-packaged (although the U version was the PS3/360 version.) As far as I'm concerned EA can shove their games back up their ass. The amount of crap that they're doing 'because they can' is probably one of the major things that's ruining the industry.
Robichoico 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Have you any sources for that Origin stuff? Or are you working to the assumption that it's everyone's fault but Nintendo's? My thinking here is that EA are merely cutting out platforms they no longer consider viable financially, and I'm surprised it's taken this long, as the EA sports games have been selling garbage numbers on Nintendo platforms for years. Seems EA are going to concentrate on PS3/360 before they make the move to next gen machines... makes sense to trim the fat in such a period of transition. Also, EA's annual successes with these games is one of the few tentpoles of real stability the industry has. They aren't "ruining" anything... quite the opposite in fact.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
How would it be Nintendo's fault? People aren't buying the WIi U. Nintendo's fault. (Maybe? But All consoles do poorly in first year so.) EA put lazy ports onto the Wii U which don't sell. Nintendo's fault. EA overcharge. (ok this one is probably the fault of the game shops but it's obviously Nintendo's fault.) And yes. I can't wait for your world where we get 10% of the game for £45 and annual re-packaging. (read. Packaging. Like what they did with the Wii U, PSV versions of Fifa last year.) Not that it'll matter. EA don't put the games out on Nintendo platforms. People who own them platforms won't buy them. Who loses out? Likely EA.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
I don't buy Madden games every season, no real point - I know the rookies get added each year but better to wait for them to settle in the NFL and buy the game when they're established! Anyway, the 'upgrades' aren't worth it from year-to-year. Madden '13 overhauled the collision system so I might be tempted with Madden '25 (after playing Madden '12 last). Earliest Madden I played must've been Madden '92!
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Do you have the constant Sprite and 7Up Adverts in the game? I have an understanding of how its played, but every match something will confuse me during the game
Barada's avatar
I know they've usually tried to incorporate some real advertising in-game; much like US presentation. Not sure about '13 and how far they've taken it, though. I'm sure you'll pick up all the nuances of the game, soon enough.
Barada 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Verizon gets quite a bit of spotlight :P
LFC Bywater 4 years ago