Next Gen GTA V rumours are 'nonsense' says Rockstar

Rockstar has rubbished claims that it's set to release GTA V on next gen consoles, reiterating that the only reason the game has been delayed is because its trying to improve its quality.

"To those of you saying or seeing various conspiracy theories about there being some other ulterior motive for this delay, rest assured that they're all nonsense - literally the only reason we've delayed the release is because we want the game to be as good as it needs to be," the company said.

"For those of you asking about the official box art, that will be coming out a bit later as well."

Currently GTA V is set to release on PS3 and Xbox 360, although PC and Wii U versions are being considered.

Edited On 04 Feb, 2013

Comments
Thomas 4 years ago
I though next gen consoles were estimated to launch around Christmas anyway? So I do not see why people would think pushing the game back to September means it will be next gen. Hopefully it means they are porting it to PC and want to surprise us all.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
who knows the legitimate reasons as to why I think we can all safely say its going to somehow have something to do with money ha ha!!!!Thing is with this going next gen I cant help but think it will maximize the use of the PS3 and 360 rather than on the next gen consoles which dont get me wrong will be awesome in theory as a launch title...I still cant get my head around TWO next gen consoles released at the same time let alone GTA5 as a potential launch title......we gamers have it sooooo good
Milosuperspesh's avatar
Milosuperspesh 4 years ago
note they say 'as good as it needs to be' not as good as it can be... needs of the many out way the few much ?
makki 4 years ago
To be honest I don't care if it's this gen or next gen I will pre-order my PS4 as soon as it announced from ShopTo.com I'm not going to miss this wonderful game either ways
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Doesn't really make any difference since I have no plans to pick up another consoles until a price cut/slim ver/year one is out of the way. Although I cannot see myself buying this game on launch either....
Bhamkeyx's avatar
Bhamkeyx 4 years ago
I don't think GTA 5 will be released on the new gen consoles, it is likley, that the new consoles will be released at the end of this year, not any sooner.
pmamba45's avatar
This is why i'm personnally not buying it, as if any, there would be minimal time to keep and enjoy the game before xbox 360 officially says goodbuy to us sorely. The late console cycle release ephasis probably has swayed a more convenient next gen version for a gamers inconvenience. I do hopethat those who get the xbox 360 version enjoy it though.
pmamba45 4 years ago
meatabstract's avatar
meatabstract 4 years ago
Yeah, people saying GTA V was going to be next gen was silly. Why would Rockstar spend 5 years working on a game and then release it on a console which no one owns when the PS3 and Xbox 360 are probably at their highest point of users? Madness to think they'd do that. But I also hope this delay for the game is to work on a PC version as well. I love GTA IV on the PC.
But hopefully we get a proper port. GTA IV was possibly one of the worse ported games I have ever played.
Thomas 4 years ago
Carl-G's avatar
Carl-G 4 years ago
ALL internet rumours are 'nonsense' :D + Last time when GTA4 got delayed the internet blamed the PS3. YAWN...
NokkonWud's avatar
NokkonWud 4 years ago
I would never have expected them to go next-gen, or split across having a release on both -- Rockstar have never done that I don't believe, so they're unlikely to now. It would definitely be this generation as that's the one with the biggest market share and 2K want to get numbers out there.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I don't care what Gen it will be coming too, i will be buying it regardless. This is easily my most anticipated game and September cannot come soon enough, NFL starts again and i will have this to feast on. I'm sure more news such as the cover art with be saved till E3 arrives.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
I to think these are just rumours and that is all , next gen consoles are not due over here till early 2014 , cannot see rockstar putting in all that hard work for all this time to split it over this and next gen , i would rather wait a few extra months knowing that its as good as it can be when released instead of half finished to just please people , may be a game of the year version will be on the cards for the next gen instead!
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
i really am sick of the 360 its time we had a new one look at the new gears its just the same as gears 3 we need next gen it has been to long and is starting to drag in my opinion if you want to chat to me add me on xbox knockty or psn knockty96
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
no we want to keep this gen going very worried for next gen and the download and drm culture that is coming
It ain't so bad in the end. Look at us PC gamers, we are still gaming. My advice: If the next gen consoles cost over £600, get a PC, or a SteamBox.
Thomas 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Doubt it will be anything close to 600 bud, barely anybody would pay that amount for a console.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
may do cannot be bothered with next gen till later this time no first day game console for me especially as the originals alway go wrong
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i am all for the next gen when it arrives must make sure ps4 is backwards compatible though and locking out pre owned is a bad move , i still think this gen has some left to give though
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
i agree and that is my biggest fear do not unlock preowned and allow backwards compatible especially as this gens consoles are so use to dieing
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
there needs to be a resonable price as well , or in these times people might be priced out and cannot afford next gen
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
yes which is going to be difficult seeing as sony made a loss with playstation 3! cheaper parts more problems?
Steven 4 years ago
Hmmmm, so since when has SPRING been September????? I'm not entirely convinced they're telling he whole truth............. Just kidding! ;-) I'm glad Rockstar are putting the extra time in to give us a first rate quality product....... perhaps Bethesda should have a go at doing this instead of releasing barely functioning products on PS3 (Skyrim, Fallout 3 etc.) Hopefully if they do a follow up to RDR it will be on next gen...... and also the point where I give in and buy a next gen console :-)
Coolsambob's avatar
Coolsambob 4 years ago
Had a feeling this would be pushed back for polishing, can imagine it'd have to run perfectly, as they've got a lot of pressure on them with this game.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
"Currently GTA V is set to release on PS3 and Xbox 360, although PC and Wii U versions are being considered" - Really now? PC version is inevitable but no one should hold their breath for a Wii U version.
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
I wish they would announce a collectors/limited/special edition already
0000000000's avatar
agreed would love them to do all of the above u said i would deffo purchase as this would be my last 360 game i think due to the new console coming out
0000000000 4 years ago
Arun1910's avatar
Arun1910 4 years ago
Nah, he is lying! Even if he says this, how do you know he isn't lying? Anyone can say anything. I am almost certain that this is so GTAV can be cross platform on the new systems later this year. They have had YEARS working on GTAV, I can't believe they want nearly an extra half year for polish.
Lavindathar's avatar
I very much doubt he is lying. True, anyone can say anything, but Rockstar are a company built on reputation and results. He wont come out and categorically deny something, for it to be true. If this was the case, he just wouldn't comment on any of the speculation.
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Daniel 4 years ago
PC version of gta is a must have, mods and everything and they are considering it? rockstar please dont destroy the franchise with silly mistakes.
Oli_1's avatar
Oli_1 4 years ago
Watch Sony roll this out at their Feb 20th event and announce the PS4 will launch in September with GTA5. Believe.
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
I'm not sure why people think this is the case, as neither the PS4 nor the next Xbox will be out by September anyway. I purely think this is exactly how he says it is, a case for polishing the game. A game as big as GTA is going to need a LOT of polishing.
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
They're probably worried it won't play as fun as Saints Row The Third. In that respect, GTA takes itself far too serious!
neohawk's avatar
neohawk 4 years ago
Ok, it's 100% now a launch title for the next generation. 100% probably.
pmamba45's avatar
pmamba45 4 years ago
Years in develpement only to end up in the last window releases for xbox 360. It wouldn't surprise me if it gets delayed again for a Christmas release.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
would be better for rockstars coffers if it did