Iwata finds it "strange" that people call cloud gaming the future

Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata has said that cloud gaming is held back by the inherent latency of the internet and has suggested that it may not be the future of gaming that everyone expects it to be.

Speaking in a Q&A session with investors, Iwata said that he finds it "strange" that people call cloud gaming the future.

"A cloud is an attempt to process information online on a server, as opposed to doing so on individual machines in the hands of the users," he said.

"What this implies is, since the time to transmit data over an internet connection is never negligible, there is always some latency before you receive the result of your input.

"Of course, there are types of games on which delays have no effect. In such instances, it may perhaps make sense to have an input means as well as the ability to display images at hand and let all the information be processed on a server. On the other hand, for some highly interactive games, action games in particular, the time required to reflect the push of a button on the screen is critical and the frame rate (the number of times a screen can be updated in a given second) determines the fluidity of the movements.

"This means that there are some types of games that can be put on the internet and others that cannot. By the laws of physics, it always takes some time to transmit data, and given the current level of internet technology, there is bound to be some latency during the processes of a server receiving data, producing images instantly and sending them back.

"There are many things that cloud gaming cannot do by design, but this fact has not been communicated well to the public, and I find it strange that many people claim that cloud gaming is the future."

In respect of cloud gaming, it seems like many people feel that it will become so strong that the next generation of consoles will be the last. In fact it seems like most people seem to think that gaming will simply be a case of switching on your TV with no need for an extra both. Nintendo though doesn't seem to agree that gaming consoles as we know them will die out.

"Naturally, our stance is that dedicated gaming platforms will not die out and we are determined to create a future where they will not," Iwata concluded.

What do you think of this? Will there be another generation after the next generation? Would companies such as Nintendo and Sony benefit from not selling machines and just sticking to software?

Do you want to see more consoles in the future? Let us know below.

Edited On 05 Feb, 2013

Comments
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
I agree with him to an extent. However, I own an Onlive console (unused/boxed and for sale), and I did a report at Eurogamer with the President of Onlive. Me, and my colleague played SSFIV against each other, and the latency wasn't noticeable. It was as if I was playing my mate on a console, reading off a disc and processing the data. It was very, very good. It may yet happen :)
How do you know it was online though, I've played 'online' games at these conventions before that were just on a LAN setup pretending to be online.
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
You wouldn't want someone else driving your car, from hundreds/ if not thousands of miles away, would you? I see the same with gaming, better to be as close to the engine room as possible. The internet is not a level playing field, and while it exists as a profit-making entity, it will never be the same experience for all.
Cloud gaming is the future? I thought it was tablet gaming 5 minutes ago. I don't think gaming is going to change that drastically, it was consoles and computers when I started gaming over 30 years ago, and it hasn't changed that much in all that time, and I can't see it changing much more in the next 30 years.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
The Hoarder in all of us are always going to want a hard copy. digital media i doubt would be significantly cheaper therefore raising the question, why should i buy digital for the same price?
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Ooh I'm being an opinionated bugger today. Cloud gaming is good, but it should be an alternative, an option NOT a must. Some people don't have good enough Broadband at the moment. Also imagine the knock on effect to retailers. ShopTo may still survive due to the download element of PC gaming, but I am sure Microsoft and Sony would be greedy enough to ensure you purchase through them and we've seen the prices. Like I said, its a good idea in some ways, but should never replace. I am actually thinking of getting an Ouya, which is an android box, and it looks as if some PC only games will be released for it. This is OK, its not going to harm anything taking the PC market and projecting it onto TV's. But the day Microsoft and Sony do it, I'm out of the games market and will keep my PS3 and just buy second hand.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
I find it strange that Iwata thinks a handheld based console without any portability is the future. Given the state of Nintendo's current network infrastructure I'm not surprised advancements in online technology with regards to gaming are over his head. Does any Nintendo console even do cloud saves yet?
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
there is something about having the physical games in your hand and not stored in a cloud i think people still want , i rather have a good collection of games at home instead of relying on the internet to hold them , or at least make the internet a bit more better first
Barada's avatar
More value to owning the hard copy - I wish more people would realise it. Digital is fine for smaller developers looking for a cost-effective way to realise their 80-400MS point games on the XBLA set-up, or similar. But for high-priced releases, we should all insist on a hard copy as a minimum!
Barada 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
What happens when that machine breaks too. No one can take away your physical game can they. But games stored on the net could be lost. Cloud saves is a bit different
Barada's avatar
I will admit to finding the Xbox cloud saves very useful; I can spend significant time in two separate places gaming - having the saves 'follow me' around is helpful.
Barada 4 years ago
i don't know do you lose everything on pc or is it linked to a username
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
The cloud saves for Xbox are easy to use; you just save or move/copy a file into the cloud storage - then, when you log-in another Xbox, with your profile d/loaded to it, you can access your cloud files there. Works pretty well, so long as the machine is hooked up to the internet (of course). ;)
Barada 4 years ago
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
how much time does it take to download some thing these days aswell forever , and this also will lock out pre owned games aswell so you have to pay what they say like psn £50 for a new game
Barada's avatar
The download speeds are laughable, on all systems! Seems they definitely run things on the cheap there. You shouldn't have to concern yourself with when you're downloading something - it's like it 1999 when you want to d/load a patch or demo/game on the PS3/Xbox - the Wii U update time was about an hour (or more!).
Barada 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I actually have quite good download times. I do remember when FIFA became available the week early for European season-pass owners though. Sat from 6pm till 11pm waiting on that to download.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Yeah, my girlfriend spent about 6 hours d/loading the Jak and Daxter trilogy from the PSN one night - crazy! I've just noticed you still have to keep on eye and when you begin d/loads - I try and avoid those so-called 'peak times' - like the dark ages with the consoles - my broadband is OK at any time, the consoles seem bound by their own server crawls, though.
Barada 4 years ago
neohawk's avatar
neohawk 4 years ago
The future of gaming may well go this way but if it does, i'm out. I want to actually own a physical item when I purchase something.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Once the internet speeds go up and the whole country has access to them then it'll be the future. I think it's still gonna be a long way off with the way this country works. (and this is just the one. Not the whole world.)
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
do not want internet gaming for single player games as will it cost more on broadband costs what a rubbish idea cloud is