Rumour: Next Xbox is online only, no pre-owned game support

Microsoft's next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform, according to a new report.

Edge-Online cites 'Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft's next generation console' who have told the site that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase at retail. Edge also claims that it is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

In addition, the site confirms other rumours that the next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, while also backing up rumoured specs of an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. Currently the hard drive capacity is undecided.

Several development sources have also apparently told the site that Sony's console is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Furthermore, Edge claims the operating system overhead of Microsoft's next console is more oppressive than Sony's equivalent.

Microsoft is also said to be working on a next itteration of Kinect which will launch alongside the new console.

Edited On 06 Feb, 2013

Comments
drkmn302's avatar
drkmn302 4 years ago
if this rumor is true this will damage xbx.. and the 2nd hand market.. i'd rather stick to this gen then upgrade to something that limits u...
Not sure how a compulsory internet connection is going to stop second hand games, but if this is true it would be incredibly stupid of them. Making online compulsory is bad enough as it is, would the console cease to function if your internet went down? Pretty sure this will be a rumour that is complete fantasy.
I hope so, I was already planning to jump to Microsoft if Sony do it
Beazi 4 years ago
It's got to be, I don't even think console manufacturers are that bothered about the second hand market, it's more the software publishers with their online passes.
Beazi 4 years ago
Now Microsoft are on the DRM train. Sorry I'm sticking with this generation if true that both of them are doing it. What happens if your in an area with bad connectivity, then what!
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
Leaves a bad taste in the mouth when Microsoft deem how we play games as the wrong thing to do. I don't actually buy a ton of 2nd handers to be honest; but have and do play them when they're around. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo should be doing whatever it takes to get us to buy more games, in general, not worry about how we get to eventually play them. Don't start a dictatorship, just give us what we want - let the gamers decide how we get them!
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
locking out pre owned games would be an instant bad move by sony or microsoft , i would not touch a next gen console if this were to happen , people with not much cash need pre owned there as a option and rely on it
Stop putting rational thinking and logic into your argument cases. Those companies hate that!
Taz 4 years ago
sam 4 years ago
Personally i think this is great, its going to give game developers so much more profit especially the smaller industries and indie companies, piracy of an industry you work in is never nice too see. Most internet connections this year will be going 4g aswell. Overall im glad to see it, but lets hope xbox fans dont have to pay for it this time!
Second hand is not the same as piracy, the publishers still make their money from the original sale, and there are no extra copies in circulation being used.
Barada's avatar
"Most internet connections this year will be going 4g aswell." I put this down to the optimism of youth? We're years behind some places. ;)
Barada 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Agree with Gloria on this one Sam. Piracy is bad as companies do not profit from the original title being sold (the profits normally going to the person who made this hookie copy); whereas second hand they've already had a chunk. I don't like the online pass thing either. How about unlock codes for new copies rather than restricting people playing online (like additional levels etc)
Bindiana's avatar
I think if sony and microsoft did this would mean less money to publishers you would take away the practise of trading games. The amount of people who cant afford games but trade a couple in to help make it affordable. If they cant trade there games in then there going to buy less new games
Bindiana 4 years ago
Would also kill the rental business stone dead, not good.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
It'd be better for companys to lower their price overtime rather than make people buy pre-owned copys really. Most internet connections won't be going 4g either. My town may get fibre optic cables this year so I can use decent internet, but it's no guarantee, and there are towns around me that won't get it at all.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Pyroloveridge's avatar
sure as hell better be rubbish i play at least one rental every week or two! I'm not sure that many could afford to keep up with my game playing habits if i had to purchase all games outright!!!
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Tell me about it, I rent a lot more games than I buy these days, it's just common sense in this economic climate.
Hymeleon's avatar
I would hardly call rental a business, more like parasitism.
Hymeleon 4 years ago
Beazi 4 years ago
I have bought 3 second hand games ever for the PS3... and the only reason is due to being unable to get them new anymore. What happens in that case! Like Barada said they should focus on getting people to buy more games. I have 45 games in my collection, but a lot of them I didn't buy at full price. I bought Saints Row 2 recently from here for example. Price of games and consoles is an issue at the moment, they should be cheaper. How about Microsoft or Sony reward points for getting trophies on a game?
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
At this point I'm inclined to believe that all the "leaked" info on the new Xbox is carefully stage managed misinformation put out by Microsoft themselves so no matter what they eventually show, it'll still be a lot better than rumours suggest. I mean, comparatively slow RAM architecture and lower powered innards and now a massively restrictive change to MS' own business model to an extent that will devastate their market share? It all paints such a bleak picture it HAS to be deliberate bull****.
Beazi 4 years ago
Never know Kevin, it could be to get Sony to think "this is a good idea we'll do it too" and then to fall flat on there face.
PrometheusFan's avatar
Um... there's a lot wrong with that theory, but one thing you can be sure of is that if this practice becomes reality, it'll be both MS and Sony doing it or neither of them doing it.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Steven 4 years ago
Oh well that's made this a no buy for me. I work offshore on the oil rigs for weeks at a time and have no Internet access, I always took a console with me to fill in my "down time" from work..... this would be as useful as taking an empty shoe box with me!
Beazi 4 years ago
Exactly Steven. I hope the fool at Microsoft who thinks this is a good idea is listening to your example there
Ben_2's avatar
Ben_2 4 years ago
If the next gen consoles are looking to rely more on DL games rather than physical discs, the DL games should be a lot cheaper to buy, as it's cutting out the cost of all that physical production. At the moment, Microsoft has it completely backwards; in most cases users have to pay MORE for games that exist as downloads on the marketplace versus in the physical form from an online or brick-and-mortar store. This is very annoying.
Hymeleon's avatar
It is often the same at the PS Store.
Hymeleon 4 years ago
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Well if one console decides to go this route the other one just needs to say we arent doing this and will go a long way to winning the console war. Maybe its a bit of gamesmanship between Sony and Microsoft trying to get the other to do it.
Be funny if they both end up doing it ;)
Bindiana's avatar
Well I think it will end up neither of them doing it or both.
Bindiana 4 years ago
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
also the people who might not be able to afford internet connections and who have download limits in place , sort the net out first
Beazi 4 years ago
Where is the portability of these consoles going if they do this. To be fair if they did this, I can only see them having it for the first batch of console models. They will after a while realize what a stupid idea it is and then release one without
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
it might be trying to stop piracy but they find a way in the end
ghengiskhan45th's avatar
ghengiskhan45th 4 years ago
I would buy a next gen console for the exclusive, considering I bought a PS3 for games like Heavy Rain and God of War, but the consoles would not be my primary platform and I would switch back to PC as I have a rig that can handle most processor and graphic intensive games and have the potential to be upgraded depending on future technology. That and you can get most PC games at a reduced cost compared to the premium price console games cost. That is considering I have already invested a substantial amount of money into a decent computer
Beazi 4 years ago
Well look at Apple and the jailbreaking... who thought they'd do that!
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
would also mean the final nail in the coffin for game aswell , will add another name gone from the high street to the list
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
They can't do it really. There are so many people these days who don't connect their PS3/XBOX to the internet still. There are also a load of people who don't connect their laptops to the internet or anything either. They won't strange the market like this. If they did this, they wouldn't be able to charge for XBOX Live either, because then it'd be like charging you to even touch a console you already own. Microsoft aren't daft.
sam 4 years ago
Think of all the benefits of going digital though; no disk damage, no bootup errors, no disk malfunctions, running games would be so much quicker. Personally, its time to invest in a steam box methinks!
Hard drives can fail too, and when that happens you lose everything, not just a single game.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Gloria this ain't Wii, where all your rights are save on Consol. You would just have redownload them + save again
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
I know that, but with digital only when your hard drive fails the whole machine is useless until you can replace the drive, with a disk system you can still use it.
And the price of console hard drives is way too much. And with next gen they will only cost more.
Thomas 4 years ago
carbine's avatar
carbine 4 years ago
Another ridiculous rumour that won't come to fruition. And why do people insist on putting "Xbox 720"? It won't be called that, was the first one called the Xbox 180? Jeez if anything the next one up would be the Xbox 361 but we all know it won't be that either. It's more likely they'll just go back to calling it the 'Xbox' and be done with it. Just wait until there's an official announcement.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
It's just a name for people to call it until the official name comes out so it doesn't get confused with the initial XBOX or the XBOX360. It's just like how the Playstation is getting called PS4. Don't worry so much about it.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
It's a rumour, and an unfounded one at that. It's something to talk about. Through Xbox Live, Microsoft has the technology to already do this, according to the editor of OXM. I believe that to be true. It isn't Microsoft who really care about 2nd hand sales, its publishers and devs. (excluding MS caring about their own in-house games). They care about console sales, and XBL subs, and DLC buying etc. Second hand games I think, its actually beneficial for MS, as instead of making no money, they can pick up a % of the online pass codes bought via XBL.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
this better be cack! i love renting it fills the time between worthy purchases
creed95's avatar
creed95 4 years ago
if this happens then it will be the end of consoles. people are already in uproar about having DRM on pc games and to then do it on consoles which is the gaming industries biggest market. I think this is purely down to the developers and publishers not getting the money for second hand games and losing out when a friend borrows you the game instead of paying full price for it
There is already DRM on console games. And on movies, and CDs. The reason there is such a big uproar against DRM on PC games is because they make it ridiculously OTT. They punish us (the legit customer) for piracy.
Thomas 4 years ago
Beazi 4 years ago
I really hope this doesnt happen though it will be the start of the end
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
While this does suck, i don't think it would stop me buying the next gen Xbox, It would mean that i would take much less gambles with my purchases though, seeing as i wouldn't be able to trade them in if i didn't like them
Beazi 4 years ago
And LFC Bywater that will kill smaller developers, which will bring down the industry of course and mean less and less quality games as we move on. I wouldn't blame you though for not gambling with your purchases
LFC Bywater's avatar
Yeh i know, but nobody is going to want to risk 40 odd quid on a game that they might not enjoy, and not be able to take back and atleast recoup some money. It's a stupid move if they do this and they'd just be shooting themselves in the foot.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
t3ch's avatar
t3ch 4 years ago
Online distribution is happening like it or not. You will need a connection to get the games if there is no physical format for them. But I'd think that you'd be able to play them offline as well. One reason to rejoice is that the GAME family of stores will DIE. Their practice of trading in for a discount and in fact MAKING THAT THE FIRST OPTION WHEN YOU GO IN TO THE DAMN STORE is what caused the rise of the online pass in the first place. A second reason is distributors will be cut out of the equation, game devs will be able to make games THEIR way, not the way distributors FORCE them to. (Hello EA you corporate money grabbing whores you) This should lead to lower prices and more sales, though M$ better get a grip on their marketplace pricing.
Artemisthemp's avatar
You forgot Crapcom and CoDdivision
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Carl-G's avatar
Carl-G 4 years ago
If MicroSoft do "no pre-owned game support" the internet says nothing but if SONY do it the internet goes MAD! :D + I can't see it being 'online only' but then again i can't see MS going for a Blu-ray drive in the new NextBox to.
You muppet.
0000000000's avatar
agreed
0000000000 4 years ago
Beazi 4 years ago
I agree with you LFC Bywater. And I dont agree t3ch Game dieing will be bad for the whole industry
t3ch's avatar
How so? THEY caused the whole online pass thing in the first place by making it policy to get staff to offer pre-owned games in PREFERENCE to new releases. Thus cutting the devs and distros out of the money. Thus raising prices. And as for the whole pre-order exclusives crap, GAME and it's child companies caused that and nobody else.
t3ch 4 years ago
Bindiana's avatar
How is lots of people out of jobs good for the industry?? I have never seen any take so much joy in potentially alot of people loosing there jobs.
Bindiana 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
They caused nothing. It was a big thing in all trade-in shops that this happened. Blockbuster were the first to do it I noticed. And the fact that you want all these closed down is just stupid to the economy as a whole. You won't be able to afford the games when the tax'd go up and we'd be supporting everyone who lost their jobs now.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
I think the developers getting a cut out of pre-owned games is bullshit anyway. If i sell my car for say £1000, i'm not gunna keep in touch so when the guy i sold it to decides to sell it, me try to take a cut from that. It's a joke, Just because they made the game doesn't entitle them to some sort of ownership of it forever does it.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
No preownedee no buyeee.
t3ch's avatar
t3ch 4 years ago
And to the people saying "If I can't buy second hand games I won't buy", fair enough, but one thing. That business model already exists and you've already agreed to it. It's the license agreement on your PCs/Macs operating system, try selling your OS secondhand and see what happens.
Datastatic's avatar
I sold my second hand Mac OS 9 and OSX discs on Ebay with no problems thank you very much Judge Judy. As far as I am concerned if I pay for something I own it and can do what I like with it. It will close down a lot of shops (CEX for example) so in no way it it a good thing.
Datastatic 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
your reaction to somebody just having a simple opinion is shocking! hes right try selling them (other than ebay u can sell anything on ebay) at the end of the day its a rumour anyway might not even be true so jump of your high horse! new games aint much dearer than pre owned games anyway these days! just dont buy the new console like u said before end of!
0000000000 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I think you've mis-read Datastatics opinion there, and t3chs to get that response...
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
Thanks DW, they did.
Datastatic 4 years ago
Beazi 4 years ago
But you need that competition, take that away and prices will just rise and rise and rise
Datastatic's avatar
This is so true. If you cant recycle games, there is nothing to stop the prices going up and up and up as it basically makes is a monopoly. If either Sony or Microsoft chose to follow this path it will pretty much destroy the industry. A bit like the music industry has done by insisting on digital and then complaining about how easy it is to copy things. A bit like the film industry is trying to do by charging you £25 to go to the cinema to see a film you can get on DVD a few months later for £8 or download for free. People don't have a lot of money at the moment in case no-one had noticed. Like I said, if any of the consoles block 2nd hand gaming or have some stupid DRM ting (which even Apple have realised is stupid and gotten rid of) then I won't buy it and go all retro and just play the games I already have or pick up 2nd hand for current gen for cheap.
Datastatic 4 years ago
MARK 4 years ago
Can't see it happening, to be honest. It would basically sour any relationship Microsoft have with bricks and mortar retailers.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 4 years ago
Where the hell do you guys found anything about constant internet connection in the article? Buy a new game, activate it then take your console to the fucking oil rig, submarine or space station. No problem there.

Game's that can't be reselled will be cheaper in first place - obvious imho. New titles for 30-40 bucks at launch - isn't it great? I'd love to buy two new games instead of one when I go shopping.

And last thing. Whining ones but buying thousands.No whiner ever made a difference for them companies. You might say that you'll never go nextgen, but you will eventually - and you guys know it...
No way will games be sold at a cheaper price. There's more chance of them being more expensive, if anything.
MARK 4 years ago
i think you need to read it again constant internet connection on an oil rig you can't do that unless you buy a special device.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
its not just about an internet conection many people rely on pre owned games , because they cannot afford new titles , i for one rather trade in a new game if i dont like it to get some money back , now its saying once you have paid thats it your stuck with it , not all people can afford new games and internet costs these days
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
look at psn costs at the moment its stupid for new games
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
A lot of people don't have a good enough internet connection for a new games console to reply on it just to be able to play (even single player!) games. If Microsoft did this and Sony didn't, Sony would get Microsoft's customers. What about people in the same house with their own XBL accounts? They would each need to buy a copy of the game. It would stop us lending games to our friends too which is actually a really good way of advertising. The only way I can even begin to agree with this is if all 3 of these things happen: *They release a demo of EVERY upcoming game on XBL (if we can't try out a game ourselves, how do we know we aren't wasting £45?) *Game prices are cut *Benefits such as free dlc ^ all of those won't happen so it's best they just stick with online passes. This is a mistake if they go through with it so I hope it is just a rumour.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
In my best scouse accent ahem ' Caaaalm down, Caaaalm down!!!' isnt this just a rumour boys and girls?? In my own humble opinion this is just a load of b0ll0(<5 it has to be doesent it?? And hasnt the vast majority of this article now been taken out of context, would Microsoft really want to exclude so so many of their fan/userbase I really cant see it OK im guessing in an ideal Microsoft world we would all be on xbox live but I just cant see them being this deliberately restrictive it just makes no business sense, I heard a rumour that the first 250 PS4 would come complete with a life size haddock stuffed with pickled onions
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
if this is true its stupid what happens if my internet discounts i won't be able to play that is unfair. i do not believe these rumours but if you do need an internet connection it is stupid
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
Sub Lord Hawk's avatar
Sub Lord Hawk 4 years ago
Always assume rumours are false rather than true. Aside from the fact this would lose them a rather large potential amount of money, those specs aren't that good to be fair.
Altaf 4 years ago
Well i got to say they been doing this on pc games for so long and also the pc equiv of xbox 360 games are alot cheaper and is superior. If this is the direction sony and microsoft is taking with their new consoles then sorry i will save my cash and use it towards my pc upgrade and i know it be powerful then the next gen consoles :) also i wouldn't have to worry about paying for live :)
Yeah, if this is what next gen will be, you are best off switching to PC gaming. We get the better end of the stick. And for the price of the new next gen consoles (based on the current gen launch prices) you only have to add a small amount to get something superior.
Thomas 4 years ago
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
I doubt Micro$oft is stupid enough to do this, since it will make US ppl (Microsoft most value area) go ballistic and refuse to buy Next Gen Xbox. It would also defeat the point of Microsoft putting Blu-ray player in the consol.
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
they still use blue ray it just locks them to that machine cutting out pre owned selling , just hope thats all it is a rumour
moggi's avatar
moggi 4 years ago
we all had a bit of a panic. But if this rumor turns out to be right, how will this effect the next gen's backward compatability? Would we have to buy our 360 titles via on demand? You how much over the top ms & sony charge. £49.99 for black ops 2, I didn't pay that much when I brought mine
moggi's avatar
moggi 4 years ago
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
what about when you rent or lend friends games aswell , means they are locked out .
Bhamkeyx's avatar
Bhamkeyx 4 years ago
I hope they are not that greedy, I think the new consoles will not play used games. Hearing that it will only be online is ridiculous, what happens if the internet is down?, that is why we have single player games, to enjoy them even when the internet is down. I hope this is just a rumour, but unfortunately I do believe that both the new xbox and playstation will not play used games.
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
news has spread to gamestops shares going down as a result of this , its all we need in this day and age for shops to lose more customers of the future
this is bad news very bad news i hope microsoft come out and dispell the rumours sony probably rubbing hands with glee
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
Sony have for a fact officially acquired a patent to block used games, as reported on here last month, but comments suggest they may not get to use it, just getting it in place in case they do. Microsoft blocking games is just a rumour so far, but Sony possibly blocking used games is real.
superniceguy 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
this is an awful idea and will screw Microsoft remember they do it with new office products and that is pants i must agree things will get dearer cos companies like microsoft will get very greedy
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i think its a case of big companys forcing change on us with out any idea of the trouble it will cause , lets see if it effects there shares when released
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
microsoft needs to come out and sort this! jobs will be lost by this and that is bad news
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i think alot of people would boycott the sales when they were to arrive when they do , i see storm clouds gathering in the future
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
i am worried so many people would go retro imagine too shopto not being able to stock next gen games this is bad
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
if sony and microsoft are trying to lead one another in to doing something stupid , its going to effect a wide range of people
makki 4 years ago
I think microsoft is pushing it which is bad for the industry of gaming they should realize that no one is going to buy their new system if they do that , Wake up microsoft there is another companies you compete with.
makki 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
it will be silly if that is the aim one super console will also be a bad thing as it means they will have the machine monopoly it's bad with the two as nintendo is a different market to the other two
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
they also need to think about peoples jobs and not just making wads of cash
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i feel that they are playing games on each other before the release comes one might do it and one not but its a wrong move to make
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Pre-owned games will still work, will just need to pay for a new activation code surely? Still, I doubt MS would be implementing this anyway. Just Internet rumours.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
are they going to try and kill off nextgen being retro before it even starts cos that is bad if you need the net what happen at the end of that console life
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Edge are really putting their reputation on the line defending this story it seems. So either it's true and Microsoft have essentially killed their console division or it's a crock of **** and Edge will have humiliated themselves in front of the world. I am completely okay with the latter scenario in all honesty.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
If this happens they will be getting less money from me. I always buy my game brand new, but that is because I have the option to resell it. I am not getting a new console if this happens, and go play my consoles I already have and may even go buy some other retro consoles too, like the Jaguar. Once this next Xbox console is done, in 5-10 years then and gets moved onto Xbox 1440 then it does not seem like you will be able to pass on the console to other people and if it is online only, then servers will eventually close, and be completely useless and have to throw it away. To keep up with the latest games I will just get them on PC when they are on Steam sales for £3, and considering can still play a fair few titles from 20 years ago, the PC is more future proof, and with Steam console on the way, the future looks to be PC, and gaming on the go with PC tablets
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
bet they might get sued too if they started all this
Thomas 4 years ago
Well, it is a good thing I am a PC gamer. I was considering eventually buying a next gen console, guess I am not now.
Scott 4 years ago
What if I want to take one of my games to a friend's house to play. If this rumour is true it would no longer be possible.
Scott 4 years ago
Scott 4 years ago
Scott 4 years ago
Scott 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
likewise with scott on this i already cant play online due to ea and there stupid codes
neohawk's avatar
neohawk 4 years ago
This might be true for the also "rumored" cut down set top box version, but can't see it happening for a proper game console. If it does then they may as well call it dreamcast.
Beazi 4 years ago
My its gone quite literally bonkers on here about this. I am also not keen on the Online codes but they seem to be here to stay. Going fully Internet-focused is a poor poor idea though
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
if microsoft thought this was a good idea they should not do now 116 posts of anger!
flop1981's avatar
flop1981 4 years ago
Not allowing second hand games to work is a big mistake. We are still in a recession and most people can't afford to pay £35-45 for a game every time. If new games had a retail price of £20-30 to begin with, then it would make sense.