Sony lowers PS Vita sales expectations for third time

Sony has once again cut sales expectations for the PS Vita.

This marks the third time that the hardware giant has lowered sales forecasts for its flagship handheld machine. Initially, in 2012, Sony forecast that it would sell 10 million PlayStation Vita and 6 million PSP devices, for a total of 16 million, by the end of March 2013. This was then revised to 12 million PSPs and Vitas combined and now it's down to 10 million combined.

Sony says that in order to improve this it is "working to expand sales and operating income through the introduction of an attractive software lineup and through offering game software on mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets."

Sony's forecast for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 2 sales remains the same, at 16 million devices combined by the end of March.

Edited On 07 Feb, 2013

Comments
Oh dear.
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Now everyones focus is shifting towards the PS4 and the next Xbox, doing this only makes sense. I'm still in PS Vita will be a failure camp
neosalad's avatar
neosalad 4 years ago
I'd get one, especially with the stuff sony is giving us on PS+... but it's the damn propriatry memory card prices really holding this back.. sony were very short sighted by pricing them the way they did.. there was no valid reason not to support micro-SD apart from "greed" and it seems to have back-fired.
I've read it's because of piracy. Might not be true, but at least to this point, as far as I know, it hasn't been hacked.
Gabriel 4 years ago
Artemisthemp's avatar
The reason, they don't support SD is to prevent piracy
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
davedarave01uk's avatar
davedarave01uk 4 years ago
Can't justify spending the money on it while it's priced as high as it is tbh so not surprised others are not buying it and the games cost as much as console games. They must assume everyone is loaded.
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
Spending an estimated £180-200 on a 5-inch screen to play games on isn't everyone's dream gaming scenario. It's literally a tough sell in any market. Not sure my eyes would handle it for too long anymore, not getting any younger! ;)
shiny miller's avatar
Sums up my attitude too!
shiny miller 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
The Handheld Console is a dieing breed I'm afraid. Ever since Apple decided it was a good idea to release a phone with games like the iPhone's are, Nintendo and Sony have struggled in this country and America although the going is better in Japan. I loved my PSP and Pro Evolution Soccer 6, but it soon fizzed out. Could Sony ditch it to save money? I personally think its a bit too late
Artemisthemp's avatar
So you can pay £500-600 on iPhone or you can use £210 on a Vita and get good games
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i still think its priced abit high , personaly never got in to hand held gaming and with next gen comming soon i think people will start saving their money
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I had a GameBoy and I loved that... but never bothered after that. Remember getting a cartridge back in the early 90's for it from Gran Canaria. It cost £20 and because I was 6 or 7 and my mother and father didn't have a clue what was what, we bought it. It had some 150 games jammed into it, plus some naughty variety ones. Didn't realize until a lot later that it was hookie. I was just amazed by it
MARK 4 years ago
It's a lovely handheld. It's a real shame to see it underperforming in general.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Would be interested to see what they think of it separately. Considering the PSP sells more than the Vita does in Japan. Doubt that's over here too but who knows. But they need to get the games out. I think there's what? Four games coming out in the next few months? Sly Cooper (PS3 port), Persona 4 (everyone sensible woulda imported by now) Dead or Alive 5 (PS3 port?) and Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma. Everything else is slated for later in the year (Killzone is September I think) I think much like the Wii U it's starting to get some decent games out on it's shop. But those aren't what sell the systems.
Steven 4 years ago
I'd have bought a vita if there were more than a handful of decent games available for it, and even less decent ones announced for it. Lets face it the titles are pretty rubbish, but even worse is that some "app" style games such as doodle god are around £8 when I can get them for 69p on iPhone/iPad they seriously need to rethink cost of such titles if they hope to be a competitive option for casual games, and they really need to develop some top end tiles for the hardcore set. So far in my opinion vita caterers for pretty much no-one as there are better alternatives out there. Another plus for vita would have been if they'd got ps1 & ps2 compatability and also allowed you to continue your ps3 game when you were away from the main unit..... alas these options along with other claims that were made before launch never turned up!
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Sony are a fantastic company that make a great product.

However, it seems Nintendo really do have the handheld market locked down tonight, and now with the surge in popularity for mobile phone games, the Vita was always going to struggle.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
vita is going down might take sony with them at this rate
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
agree as mentioned above rather play games on handheld than a tablet like ipod
NokkonWud's avatar
NokkonWud 4 years ago
It's a great device, but the simple fact is that I sold mine to go to Oktoberfest and not once have I regretted that decision. Given you almost never hear any major news about the direction of the Vita, new projects for the Vita (I can perhaps count 2 or 3 that I know of?) and that, with Persona 4 Golden, it has, in my opinion, only 6 must play titles after 12 months out (Uncharted, Lumines, Gravity Rush, Wipeout 2048, Little Big Planet Vita and Persona 4 -- and I didn't like Uncharted) isn't a great sign. So this isn't much of a surprise. It seems like Sony know how to make a great handheld, but don't know how to market it or maintain it.