Aliens: Colonial Marines is to get new DLC in March

Aliens: Colonial Marines is to get new DLC in March, it's been revealed today.

We're getting sick of seeing DLC announced before a game has even been released. Already EA has revealed that Dead Space 3 will get DLC in the near future and now SEGA are at it too. It really makes you wonder why these publishers aren't concentrating on promoting the sale of the upcoming game rather than the future content.

Is it any wonder that sales of games in general are dropping across the board when publishers are more focused on DLC rather than the release of their games?

Anyway, with that rant over Aliens: Colonial Marines will get a new 'Bug Hunt' expansion in March. The content was revealed via a new promo poster snapped at a Wal-Mart store and will "allow you to team up with friends and take on the hoards in an all new game mode."

Sounds like something that could easily have been included in the game in the first place, don't you think?

Edited On 07 Feb, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Ridiculous! I'm getting a little tired of seeing the DLC announced before the game is released! I know the game is done, and now the work on DLC is underway, but don't rub it into our faces that you are prepping to destroy the contents of my wallet before I even buy your game. This is why most of my games this year are going to be GOTY editions. I'm not paying £40 for half a game and I'm not going to hand over my credit cards and give these publishers carte blanche over my cash! No full price games this year! none at all! I am voting with my wallet!
Beazi's avatar
I'll buy it but only because its Aliens
Beazi 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
It doesn't sound like something that should cost, but it will. They should do what DmC done and release codes with the pre-order purchase if you are going to put in DLC in the near future.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I really want this game but why hold bits back, put them in the game when its released. Resident Evil 6 did this as did several other games. Very disappointing Sega are at it too now :(
ghengiskhan45th's avatar
ghengiskhan45th 4 years ago
Open letter to Gearbox/SEGA - In the words of Hudson (changed slightly to apply to our situation): Maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we're getting our asses kicked, pal!
Beazi's avatar
PML! Boom Boom!
Beazi 4 years ago
Pyroloveridge's avatar
nice
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
It seems to me these days if you buy a new game on the day of release rather than getting thanked for it you get done over. I think all new games should come with a pass for future dlc and all people who buy secondhand should have to pay £20 or something for all the dlc.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Sadly that is the way its going... you have to spend £40 for the disc or main game and £30 extra to complete the package. Very disappointing. Games were so much more fulfilled when there was no connection to the net (ie PS1 and PS2)
yoda soldier's avatar
I agree with you totally, now you have to buy a season pass for £30.
yoda soldier 4 years ago
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
not again :( with this and the online only future rumour my most beloved pastime is becoming way too expensive. and i know i don't have to buy it but it still hurts
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
The thing is if you like the game you end up buying the dlc because you want everything it has to offer.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
still unsure on how this game will turn out , why put your time in to dlc when i have seen next to no advertising yet , could of at least put up a demo to see , if its mentioned these as part of a game already why charge more now as dlc , just put in the game or pre order bonus , if you dont have the money you miss out full stop
gasworkgamer's avatar
gasworkgamer 4 years ago
Hooray multiplayer DLC. I would hate to think they could extend the life of the single player game in anyway shape or form.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
avp multi player was horrible at least make it good if its going down that route or make single player game worth playing instead of a few hours of a good alien game every one wants
Not bothered about any multiplayer DLC, never bother with it on any game, but I hear there is at least one bit of single player DLC planned, which I'll probably pick up at some point.
Barada's avatar
I totally agree with you. This game has to be a great single-player experience to really qualify as an Alien game. If it's concentrating solely on being a fun multiplayer, why bother even using/abusing the Aliens franchise. First and foremost, it has to absorb you into the fiction of the movies, not keep hyping on about the different aspects of 'mindless' multiplayer. Stay Frosty, watch those corners..
Barada 4 years ago
From what I've seen the emphasis is definitely on the single player, and it looks like they've pretty much nailed it. However if they have cocked it all up since as I'll be waiting for the Wii U version I'll know whether or not it does justice to the film before I part with any money.
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
Once they convince the majority of gamers to accept cloud gaming, I see this as a preview of our great passion being hijacked by this new era of subscription gaming. People are slowly getting accustomed to paying for the game on DLC-based mechanisms. Won't be long before we're playing all our games on a drip-feed basis - what a nightmare!
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Its all going the Call of Duty way. This is Activisions fault this one
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Still want this game though, maybe next weeks competition (at a guess)
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
hope to pick up this on tues been waiting for a decent aliens game after avp have to wait for the reviews though first
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
What was Aliens vs Predator like. Some people I have spoken to say it is so under-rated
Bits of it were good, as a whole quite disappointing though.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
don't bother, nice change for about half hour. the human play through was terrible
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Were some proposed patches dropped from it as well? Put me off going anywhere near it!
Barada 4 years ago
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
its ok but the graphics are abit out dated now its the closed game to aliens we have untill this is released
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I might give it a shot. I know at CeX (don't think you can get it here, will check in a moment though) its only £4.00 so worth a go I guess.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
id have sold it to you cheaper but Shopto took down the Sellto section that never quite got off the ground
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Could always do it on EBay Pyro... would pay the full 4 quid though as I wouldn't rip anyone off on here
Pyroloveridge's avatar
i have it on Xbox though lad, aint you a PS3 player? besides if you cover the postage you can have it. its never going to be worth anything and i sure as hell ain't going to play it
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
I hate to come across as arrogant, or condescending, but this comment will do both. So I apologise.
It seems most people on here do not understand how game development cycles work.
The game, gets finished, two/three/four months before the release date. Usually, 2-4weeks of that time period is allocated for the disc to be printed, and allocated to retailers. Now, the other 2-3 months, are spent polishing the game. Fixing bugs, graphical errors, etc, millions of little things. You've heard of Alpha and Beta stages. When a game is in Alpha, its pretty much finished in the main. In Beta, it's 99% finished, and just needs kinks ironing out.
Now, in the 2-3 months from finishing the game, to release, what do you think the devs do? They dont get paid to do nothing. So, they make DLC. Sometimes, it hits before release, sometimes, a month after. Who knows.
Not every code/artist/designer/programmer who worked on the core of the game, will be involved in fixing the bugs and errors. Its those guys who make DLC. So, you guys arent losing out on anything. They either do DLC, or go to work on their next title.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
we do understand that but they should not release anything with faults or incomplete but agree with most said above it looks exciting better than avp with as mentioned above too is crap seeing as its not on this website anymore