Xbox 360 total now stands at 76 million

Microsoft has announced that it has now sold 76 million Xbox 360's on a worldwide basis. That's three times the total of the original Xbox.

In addition, Microsoft has also announced that the Kinect has sold 24 million since its launch.

Keeping the stats going, Xbox Live boasts 46 million subscribers which is a 15 percent increase in?both free and Gold memberships since 2012.

This news arrives as yet more rumours surface regarding the new Xbox. According to a report on Kotaku, the new system will come with the next version of Kinect and won't even turn on unless you connect the motion device to the machine.

Edited On 12 Feb, 2013

Comments
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
I never see the point in these figures as they are a bit misleading as some people would of bought more then one console due to there console breaking or buying a special edition or wanting a bigger hard drive.
craigwp2703's avatar
exactly, same goes for user accounts as some people make multiples for different regions ( unsure if the xbox is region locked but I know the ps3 allows you to access other region stores)
craigwp2703 4 years ago
They probably include all the replacements they had to give away because of RROD too. I've had 5 360s, but only ever bought one.
Bindiana's avatar
Think a lot of people make multiple accounts as well so they can farm multiplayer achievements. Also alot of consoles would of been repurchased when people got caught with hacked consoles a few years ago and microsoft disabled xbox live on those consoles.
Bindiana 4 years ago
THussain's avatar
The number of people I know who have been affected by the RROD is unbelievable, hope the next gen console doesn't have this issue.
THussain 4 years ago
Thats a good point, I was one of the unfortunate people to have bought a 360 around when it was first released, lovely case of RROD right after its warranty expired :/ However I didn't buy another one since I still have my PS3, but I've been looking into getting another one since I kind of want to play Halo 4.
John 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I got mine back in the day and was never affected by the RROD. It was noisy, it was a pain to get all the right parts for it and all that(rechargeable pad, internet adaptor etc). I just got the games I wanted to play, like Fable and Halo 3 etc. It definantely looks very ugly now compared to what the new one looks like.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
THussain's avatar
THussain 4 years ago
It would be nice to see what it would be like if Microsoft released a handheld console, I can't wait to see how Nvidia's new handheld console would look when running graphic intense games
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
wonder how many of these is due to the rrod likewise how many ps3 ones are from the ylod which is not good
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Lets be honest, the YLOD wasn't in the same league as the RROD.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
The Dave's avatar
Yeah RROD used to be rampant there was a time when Gamestation stores back in 2005/6 were sending back on average 5-6 RROD 360s per week to the warehouse thats a lot when you add up all the stores there were at the time.
The Dave 4 years ago
THussain's avatar
YLOD rarely happens with PS3 compared to RROD. It's like RROD has already been given a set date to appear the moment you purchase and it just waiting to strike when your playing in a middle of a game
THussain 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
I will probably buy at least one or two more of these this year or before the next Xbox is released, and if the next Xbox blocks 2nd hand games then I will not buy a next Xbox at all. If the next Xbox is prone to faults, and your games are tied to a faulty console it will be a nightmare to sort out.
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
I think everyone above is over-estimating the amount of RRoD's there is. Sure, there were enough for concern/recall, but not enough to drastically effect these figures.

I've had 4 xbox's, all work perfectly still.

Even if its as high as 1/10 people have had RRoD, it leaves the sales still at 67million.....

The figures are fantastic, especially when you bear in mind the Xbox is very limited in Japan (one of the worlds biggest gaming markets) and just doesn't sell well there.

Credit where credit is due in my opinion.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
4 xboxs? Why? I'm guessing Arcade, Premium, Elite, Super Elite? Or for different rooms in the house?
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I don't think so, the first year of the 360 practically everyone I knew who had one had the RROD at least once.
Bindiana's avatar
I think your underestimating how many people buy the same console more then once there are many reasons why you would buy more then one console RROD is just one of them people sell there consoles only to buy another at a different time. My point was the sales figures are pointless without any detail behind it.
Bindiana 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
4 xboxes for different rooms, and upgraded to the slims etc.

And early RRoD's were common, but Id approximiate 1/10. I'd then say that maybe 1/10 people have more than 1 xbox per person.

I'm starting to notice a pattern with this site, people just criticise constantly, kinda like fanboy bashing. These are fantastic sales figures. Lets knock off 20million units for RRoD/Multiple purchases.....55 million is STILL a fantastic figure....

And, if people like me want to own more than one console, they should still count and recieve credit for it. It means there product was that good, that I've gone and got another one........

Lavindathar 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
My first Xbox was the 20GB one which I got after a year of its release, and I got as a replacement for an irrepairable DVD / HDD recorder still under guarantee. As I already bought another DVD/HDD recorder I did not want another one. Then I bought a 2nd hand 60GB one for HDMI and playing 2nd hand / rented games and having a 2nd one. Then the 20GB one failed at the time the slim model with 250GB HDD was announced, and then bought that to replace it. Then I bought the Star Wars one with 320GB last year. So I currently have 4 myself but one is dead although still use the 20GB HDD for a bit of extra storage. If I buy more then they will be for backup, before they go out of production, and if a limited edition version releases later may get that.
superniceguy 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
It's a gaming site mate, you'll always find fanboys, no matter what people try and pretend. I agree with your last paragraph too.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Konakona's avatar
I don't really get buying more than 1 console for one person. If it's just one person, I don't see why you would buy more than one. I only pay for an upgrade (I sell my original console as a prerequisite) or if it breaks.
Konakona 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
The power of the internet and communicating with others usually brings bad news together more quickly, hence nearly always finding people who've had a bad experience faster than good. So far, I've never had a console fail (of any design) - guess I'm fortunate? And also, most of, if not all of gamers I've known for years haven't had any reason to complain, either. As far buying multiple machines, I know I bought a new PS3 just over a year ago and transferred everything from an 80GB model to a 320GB, so people do sometimes buy more than one in its lifetime. And as far as how great the current Xbox is, noise-wise, if situated on the wrong surface, it still can make a racket with uninstalled games!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I had the original 'plays ps2 games' model of the PS3. I upgraded to the slim one due to it sounding on it's last legs, and I've never looked back after that.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Plays PS2 games model - how fortunate were you! I know some Americans who thought that was a standard global feature - how wrong were they!
Barada 4 years ago
Bindiana's avatar
I still have and am still using my original 60gb PS3 has lasted me a long time but do play my xbox more only play PS3 for exclsuives such as uncharted, Gof of War and at the moment Ni No Kuni.
Bindiana 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
The worst thing was it didn't even play every PS2 game. I tried Shin Megami Tensei and it wouldn't work. And most of the ones that did work were just halfshells of their previous forms, so I wasn't too bothered when the newer non-playback ones got released.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
We had our new 250GB Xbox sat dormant for most of its first 12 months or so, only playing Fable II on it. It wasn't until we decided to hookup Xbox Live GOLD, it suddenly took over as the dominant console in the house! The PS3 was demoted, although I did upgrade as mentioned above! I still play the PS3 but Xbox does get switched on considerably more!
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
wonder how many were second buys to replace the red ring of death lol
ASC's avatar
ASC 4 years ago
For the first couple of years the 360 was designed/built with an expected lifespan of 18 months with average usage. The average xbox 360 per customer is rediculously high as even though not everyone had to re-buy, I'd been hearing of people who had bought 6-7 only 3 years after release.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
the ylod is a serious malfunction though whereas wasnt the rrod a bit easier to fix. the ylod i know was when two bits of solder became seperated from each other and the board flexed breaking the circuitary. not good
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Wrapping a towel around your console to prolong it for an extra few days wasn't a great fix. The YLOD may have been a serious console breaker, but it was much, much rarer.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
have to agree how many of these 360s were resold after rrod i know that it drove me mad when i had a 360 it would last maybe a week after fixing then broke again this led me to getting a ps3 which i think is more reliable had mine for 4 years now with no problems at all
The Dave's avatar
The Dave 4 years ago
what annoyed me about the whole RROD saga was it took Microsoft sooooo long to admit it was a hardware failure and not user error causing the problems.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
agree i dont think i would ever buy another microsoft console again after this was so frustrating the whole thing
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I am on my 6th console, but i still don't hate microsoft. Hopefully they can avoid a problem like RROD on their future console.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i would not say i hate microsoft just think the ps3 slim is more reliable in my opinion had no problems at all with that
LFC Bywater's avatar
That's the upgraded PS3 thoug, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my Slim 360
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
the original batch of ps3 you are right were very bad for it but the slims have rectified a lot 360s on the other hand didn't rectify straight away the ylod was almost in some cases unrepairable
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i thought the ps3 fats and the ylod was not as much as the 360 problems although i hope the next gen will not have the same problems