New Batman game coming this year

Warner has confirmed that it'll be releasing a third Batman game this year, although it isn't being developed by Rocksteady.

The confirmation was made by Warner's CFO and chief administrative officer John Martin, who told investors "We also have a strong games release this year, which will include the next release in the Batman Arkham franchise.

"So all in all, we expect Warner to post another very strong year in 2013. And with a little luck, the year should be as good or maybe even a little bit better than 2012."

According to sources close to VG247, the new game isn't actually being developed by Rocksteady Games, the developer of the previous two games in the franchise. If true then we have to wonder what the very talented team at Rocksteady are working on?

Edited On 12 Feb, 2013

Comments
iPenny's avatar
iPenny 4 years ago
hmm, this shouldn't be too bad. Warner were involved in developing the plot for the last 2 Arkham games but I'm not sure about the actual game development. Rocksteady did a fantastic job on the previous 2 Batman games, hopefully Warner can keep the trend going and not let us down.
craigwp2703's avatar
The story by warner will be fine, I worry about the gameplay, hopefully it follows the previous 2 games OR it takes it in a new and GOOD direction :D
craigwp2703 4 years ago
John 4 years ago
After AC I felt "complete" in terms of the Batman Arkham games so I'm not sure about a 3rd one unless they did something fresh and new with it. Rocksteady not taking up development this time could be that something fresh and new, however it could also be the thing that might ruin this game. My eyes will be on this one.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I'm pretty sure the writer, Paul Dini, is available now to write a new game, so hopefully he will be involved again. Apparently they were going to go to prequel to keep the joker involved, but I don't want the joker involved at all unless Mark Hamill is doing the voice. Hopefully it is still a good game, even without Rocksteady, but I'm not holding my hopes out.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Also, weren't there rumours about Superman, Wonder Woman etc being involved in the next Batman game?
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Shoxy85's avatar
I only want to see Superman in a Batman game if I get to fight him and get rid of him forever.
Shoxy85 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Him and Batman aren't exactly best mates. In the Dark Knight Returns, he actually beats him in a fight.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Never has an article made me so happy and so sad in the same piece!

New Batman game! Awesome, can't wait, happy expletive here.

No Rocksteady? Hang on a minute. Rsteady were the reason the last two games were so good. I did a bit of digging when I read this announcement earlier, and most other articles are saying 'Rocksteady aren't confirmed as the developer'. Your source link is the first I've seen saying they AREN'T. Who knows, maybe.

I just can't see Warner pushing through a new B'man game with R'steady. Even if Rocksteady were busy on another project (which as far as anyone knows, they aren't), it'd make sense for WB to wait it out so they get an amazing game, rather than an average one which may ruin the franchise.

Thoughts?
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Agree 100%. I hope Rocksteady are involved, I can't see many other studios doing for Batman what they've done for him.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Joe2120's avatar
If may not necessarily be an arkham game? Who knows maybe Rocksteady are working on a next gen title. Or maybe Warner has decided to switch the franchise between devs and make it yearly ala Call of Duty? Only time will tell :)
Joe2120 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
It may be a spinoff yes. I remember hearing that the Dini wouldn't be available till 2013 to write a story, and Rocksteady wouldn't be making the next one till 2014, but then I also hear consoles wouldn't be about till mid-2014 and all that.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
It was confirmed as an Arkham game, or at least in the releases that I saw. And I think even the official press release from the investors meeting clearly said Arkham game.
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Maybe they will get Bebop to do the new game (sorry couldnt resist Turtles Joke). Not sure about a 3rd game think it may have run its course. They could do a racing game and call it something like Project Gotham Racing :)
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Whatever they do, including the Justice League one way or another would be nice. I was half hoping they would make a Catwoman game
LFC Bywater's avatar
Wasn't there Catwoman DLC in the last game? Can't really remember as i haven't played it in ages. Would be good to have her own game though.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
yeah, there was. It was quality stuff if slightly short. That's why I'm still hoping for a catwoman game
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
was i alone in not enjoying any spiderman or batman games i don't think they are my thing to be honest and the second was vast but i didnt enjoy it
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
yes there was lfc bywater but you had to buy a new copy of the game to get it
The Dave's avatar
The Dave 4 years ago
Did anyone see the old development footage of Gotham by Gaslight on youtube, I wish they would go back and make that game :( looked so awesome
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
never did but will have a look now
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
just watched it and is very dark but that is better than the current ones i feel think it would be worth a rent if it comes out you never know its from the fear 3 developer and they are connected to warner the non player characters need a bit of work though
Thomas 4 years ago
I was waiting for a new Batman game to be announced. It was obviously going to happen since they put a teaser in Arkham City after you beat the game.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
i think it depend on who makes it but would be interested in playing gaslight in gotham
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
sorry gotham by gaslight
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
I heard somewhere that Rocksteady where doing something interesting with batman based on the kapow!! Bang!!! batman adam west and burt ward tv show of the 70s or whenever it was, I like the idea of something very different but on the otherhand it could be sh!te !!!!
Hopefully they'll do something a bit different this time, the main story on the Arkham games were good, but all the open world stuff just felt like unnecessary padding to me.
The Dave's avatar
Yeah it did a bit, the combat system is awesome though but even then I think Sleeping Dogs did a better job with a similar style system
The Dave 4 years ago
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i loved the batman arkham games they were a joy to play but knowing rocksteady are not involved with this makes me wonder if it will be able to carry on the high quality they brought to the series , have to wait but on the fence abit about this
TromaDogg's avatar
TromaDogg 4 years ago
'isn't being developed by Rocksteady' And with those words, any chance of this being a day one purchase for me went out of the window. I'll just wait and see what the reviews say once it's been released now.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
A third Arkham game could really stretch the franchise to an absurd level, IMHO. No rocksteady means that the new developer could end up ruining the game anyways, but having to top AC and keep it from becoming a farcical game could really be an impossible task. Not sure this is required, at all
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
i think with everything there is only so far a franchise can go. honestly is anyone really bothering with every installment of assassins creed the mega cash cow it is
troublemaker's avatar
I am! But I admit, I took a lot of convincing after the abomination that was Revelations!
troublemaker 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
this makes me a very happy chappy :D i on the other hand do hope its another game in the arkham series.. i loved the first 2 and yes it would be a great end to the series.. but i dont think its a bad thing to carry it on, i for 1 hopeit is another installment of the series will make me happy :D
CookieMcCrumble's avatar
CookieMcCrumble 4 years ago
Woohoo! Saying that, I still need to finish Arkham City.