EA: Next Gen consoles 'most likely' not backwards compatible

EA chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen has come out and said that next generation consoles will 'most likely,' not be backwards compatible.

"An important thing to remember is that next-gen consoles will most likely not be backwards compatible," said Jorgensen?during a question and answer session at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference in San Francisco yesterday (via Gamasutra).
?
"If you [play] multiplayer on a game, you'll most likely not be able to play with someone on a different generation."

This always seemed like it'd be the case for the new PlayStation, since the PS3 uses cell technology, while the next PlayStation will not. However with Sony buying up cloud streaming firm Gaikai, there is a chance that somehow Sony will allow users to stream older titles in the PlayStation catalogue.

Elsewhere in the talk, Jorgensen also stated that the next generation will benefit EA is more than one way, since both the old and new consoles will be at the forefront of EA's plans this year.

"Fiscal year 2014 will still be a fairly large gen-three if there's a console business that comes in at the tail end of the year, mainly because a lot of our titles are built around sports calendars... And if a next-gen console doesn't come out until next Christmas, most people won't wait. They'll want to be involved in getting those titles early, because their friends are all playing those titles," Jorgensen explained. "If they all hold on and continue to play on third-generation, you'll probably not see that box purchase until after the soccer season's over."

He also added that if people then go out and buy the new consoles then their friends will two, which will see EA benefit twice effectively.?

We should hopefully know more about the next generation consoles, or at least one of them this month, since Sony is expected to reveal the next PlayStation at its event on February 20.

Edited On 13 Feb, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
do you think we will be able to play our old games on the new consoles.. like xbox 360 games on the new 1 for single player purposes like ps1 games on the ps2 for example
ghengiskhan45th's avatar
ghengiskhan45th 4 years ago
As long as they allow us to play the campaign then I'm not overly fussed considering I've got well in excess of 100 Xbox games
0000000000's avatar
thats exactly my point i want to be able to play my old games at some point if there is nothing new to play! surely everyone feels the same way
0000000000 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
Very much so!
troublemaker 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
While I wouldn't expect to be able to play MP with someone of a different gen console (although, there is no real reason why not. if it's the same game, same servers, etc etc) but I would expect to be able to play, for example, my PS3 single player games on PS4. Because I'm not spending a fortune on games to have them obsolete that quickly. And I'm not planning on having a 360, an xbox3 and PS3 and a PS4 under my TV to ensure I can play games that came out a month before the new gen was released. As an example. if The Last of Us is released on PS3, sony would be completely stupid to NOT allow it to be playable on their new machine. it would hobble sales of both the game and the new machine. For the sake of an emulator!
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
Well I presume thats why Sony bought GaiKai so that they can stream old games but my guess would be you would have to buy them again. PS3 dropped backwards compatability from there consoles pretty quick.
CookieMcCrumble's avatar
CookieMcCrumble 4 years ago
Doesn't bother me much. I'll keep my old consoles for a time after the new ones are out anyway. Would prefer BC overall but it's not a biggie.
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
Well that is a bit of a shame. I was hoping we would be able to import our user accounts on Xbox Live and PSN but what is the point in that if we can't redownload and play the stuff we bought on the marketplace or the games we have achievements and trophies on the list for in the first place. Boooo. :P Backwards compatibility would be brilliant for those of us who do want to upgrade our consoles but who just don't have the space to be able to keep our current ones out too. I suppose i'll just find somewhere to hide one of my older ones once the new ones come out :) Still, the article says 'most likely' so there is still a bit of hope ;)
0000000000's avatar
if i cant carry my 80,000g score gamertag over im going to be really really upset with microsoft especially since my membership is valid until march 2014!
0000000000 4 years ago
might just buy a backup console in a few years time so when they do discontinue it i can still play my old games
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
meh.. I don't spend hundreds of pounds on new consoles to play old games, so this I'm personally cool with
craigwp2703's avatar
craigwp2703 4 years ago
Whilst BC would be a great addition, and perhaps it could be incorporated into a premium console version, I for one am not that fussed, I keep my consoles and since there won't be a massive jump in TV resolutions like SD to HD, the games from ps3/xbox360 will still look great.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
this is disappointing again i wish they would bring back backwards compatability it is a must in this generation so when ps3 dies how will i play all my old games which i enjoy so much i am not looking forward to this next gen really im not
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 4 years ago
xbl accounts are going to be carried over. MS have already said this. the consoles Should be powerful enough to straight up emulate the old consoles for singleplayer play at least. Im not sure if theyll carry gamerscore, but i cant see it getting dropped. i imagine that youll be able to throw halo1 2 or 3 in and play it fine.
John 4 years ago
I have my old consoles still so I don't mind too much, however its when those old consoles give out that this will become an issue for me. I'm more worried about the "constantly need to be online" and "no more used games" rumours going around.
Bruticus's avatar
Bruticus 4 years ago
Sony didn't learn after the release of some PS3 console version did they. I was massively gutted that I couldn't play some of my favourite all time games on the PS3 I bought.... Luckily I can play most of them on the 360, and I realise that I can buy some of the classics online now, but I don't like buying digital content.... Bad move in my eyes
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
You only ever have the urge to play your games to begin with when there isn't that many out. Once you go and actually buy games, you realise that the previous games just weren't all that in the first place. Probably less so this time around, but previous console generations always get left behind.
Really not bothered about backwards compatability, I've had several consoles that are backwards compatible over the years and must have used it three or four times. If I really want to play an old game I've always got the right console to play it on anyway, I always keep my consoles.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
Yeah just keep your old consoles it's easier.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
Previously in the grand scheme of things old consoles faded while you got into the current gen, but with future consoles being online only (what willl happen when they end - unusable or able to still play games still offline does not make them attractive) and maybe not supporting preowned games, plus this gen has been the longest run which I have accumlated many many more games for a console in the past, plus whatever tech the new consoles will have will not be a major leap forward as playing PC games with better graphics than Xbox 360 is not as great as Xbox 360 to the original Xbox. Plus achivements and trophies, although I imagine this would carry over as PC games that had GFWL added to your Xbox profile so I see no reason why the next Xbox will not add to the gamerscore that was accrued with Xbox 360. With all these factors this time I want backwards compatibility, more so than in the past. PC gaming looks to be the future, and consoles are becomng dead. With having so many consoles something has to give - I am either going to have sell some old consoles to make room or just not bother with, and it will most likely be the latter, unless it is backwards compatible and able to play preowned games. The future for consoles for me is looking to be the past. I am getting an urge to play old games and consoles again. The future consoles are losing their appeal, and just becoming low spec PCs, so I see myself playing old games and consoles plus the Wii U and PC (desktop, Steam console [ which I assume will just play PC steam games] and tablets)
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i already plan to buy a ps3 super slim just in case this were to happen although i am not pleased about this news , i rather have a new console to hand just in case my current ps3 breaks down at some point , i have over 200 ps3 games and plan to use them in the future no matter how good the next gen is
THussain's avatar
Me too I would still go back to play PS3 games as there are many titles I enjoy on the system
THussain 4 years ago
iPenny's avatar
iPenny 4 years ago
I'll be most likely getting the new Xbox because of the amount of Xbox 360 games I have. As long as I can at-least play single player on my old Xbox 360 games on the Xbox 720 I will not care, Otherwise I'll stick to Xbox 360 for a while longer as GTA 5 comes out like 2 months before the new consoles are likely to be released.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
My main games console for this gen was Xbox 360, with the Wii my least favourite, but with all the rumours about the next Xbox and PS4, they are not looking all that awesome to me, and the Wii U looks to be most attractive for the next gen - It is backwards compatible with the Wii (although not GC but I have several GCs still anway and if I get the Wii U will most likely sell my one and only Wii), pre-owned games not blocked, and is not required to be connected to the internet. It is what a games console should be.. I suppose EA do not view the Wii U as next gen? The PC is always backwards compatible, although some titles have issues, and the prices on Steam get so cheap that it makes it a steal, and the Steam console is said to be upgradeable. Most games that get released on console get released on PC too, except the exclusives like Forza, Halo etc but there are plenty of adequate PC alternatives. My PC is like a Xbox 360, I have it connected to the same TV as the Xbox 360 via HDMI and have a 360 controller for windows, and when playing with the 360 controller it makes the Xbox 360 virtually obsolete, except non-GFWL titles do not add to your gamerscore, but you do have better graphics except games like Dead Space 3 which are just straight ports. I wonder if they will release a next Xbox controller for windows and then the old controller not be compatible with the newer games, or keep using the 360 controller for windows?
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
If it comes down to a choice between a much cheaper console or backwards compatability, then I can see no reason to choose backwards compatability as it's not like my PS3 and 360 are going anywhere. That said, I don't think there will be a complete abandonment of the feature... at least on PS4, which is guaranteed to have PS1 BC (As this is a purely software based solution) and PS2 is a maybe if the software emulation for it on PS3 runs better on PS4... but PS3 BC is impossible without separate hardware, which I believe Sony patented an add on for a while ago, which leads me to believe there'll be two models of PS4: cheaper vanilla console and more expensive deluxe version with full hardware based BC and other extras. It's the only solution that'll satisfy everyone.
superniceguy's avatar
That deluxe version sounds cool, and I would definately get that if it played all PS3 games. The reason I would choose BC over a cheaper next gen console, means that I do not have to buy another current gen for backup. I would pack it up and use that as back up in case the next gen future models drop BC support. With the rumours of next gen blocking used games, will mean that I will buy far less games for it, even if lasts longer than 8 years like the current gen. This current gen is looking to be the more important, and I will more likely be playing more current gen titles than next gen titles for many years to come. I am not going to ditch a huge collection of 8 years worth of games just to go next gen. If there is no BC I will stick with Xbox 360 and PS3 and probably ignore next gen except on PC, but if there is BC then I can keep up with the next gen consoles and still play Xbox 360 and PS3
superniceguy 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Indeed, I can appreciate the benefits of BC even if I COULD live without them personally, but to be honest I will be VERY surprised if that used game blocking ends up being true.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
THussain's avatar
THussain 4 years ago
This is bad news for me, I got more than 50+ PS3 games and I don't want them sitting on the shelf collecting dust.
LFC Bywater's avatar
Just keep your'e PS3, can still play them then
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Not too fussed at all about backwards compability. Barely play my older games anyway, and f i wanted to i would just keep my 360, which i will be doing anyway. My only concern is the no pre-owned thing, but i doubt that happening.
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
I'd love backwards compatibility, and I hope they implement it.

However, there are many technical restrictions that theoretically they could face, so I can understand why the EA guy thinks that this may not happen.

However, I think both Sony and MS will TRY to ensure that they are backwards compatible, as I feel it'd benefit not only the consumers but everyone in general.

Guess its just one of those, "wait and see" kinda things.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
So I'll wait till they stop focusing on the previous consoles. I don't really have the space for a PS2, PS3 AND a PS4 in my gaming area. No point jumping to the new systems and having no games coming out for it in the first year while the devs continue to focus on the PS3. Of course if there's no backwards compatibility then I'm sure Sony will no doubt re-release a small portion of the PS3 backlog at a premium price like they did with the PS2-> PS3 and PSP -> Vita. Considering we don't have the likes of Dragon Quest 8 or the Suikoden series at all re-released I have little faith in this method. So yeah. I'm more than happy to wait this out until the first year or two. No doubt I'm in the minority.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PSP backlog was rereleased? What?
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
i will buy 2 backup consoles when they drop to £50 each like the ps2 did for a bit that way i will never lose my games only issue would be psn and it's updates for certain titles like skyrim
LFC Bywater's avatar
I wouldn't worry about buying loads. If any of your'e consoles broke you could still buy PS3 or 360 from ebay.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
We still have the PS2 and original Wii still plugged in at our games domain, even the PSone and Dreamcast have been fired up in recent times! The speed they release emulated and HD'd versions now, it's become an industry by itself. Backward compatibility is all but over..