Is this the PlayStation 4's new controller?

An image has appeared of what seems to be an early prototype of the new PS4 controller.

Destructoid was the first site to be sent this image while Kotaku have confirmed via sources that this is the real thing, albeit both a debug and early version.

As you can see, the controller seems to include a central touch pad as previously rumoured, while the start and select buttons sit at either side of this (they are quite difficult to see in the photo). There also seems to be a coloured strip on top which no doubt relates to PlayStation Move in some way, while the d-pad seems to be based on the one from the PS Vita.

In the background you can see what appears to be a silver dev kit. We have also established that the kit sitting on top of the silver one is a Wii dev kit.

The chances are that the consumer controller will look much sleeker, so don't worry too much about the appearance for now, just pay attention to those new features.

Edited On 15 Feb, 2013

Comments
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
I do hope in the final version the analogs are the same as they currently are on the sixaxis controller, everything else looks ok prototype or not
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
looks typical ps controller which is good why fix something that isnt broken.. im hoping the new xbox pad hasnt changed (other than some d-pad work) bet its nothing like that though.. like i keep saying rumours mean nothing until officially announced!
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
this looks fairly cool i guess the bit in the middle is the screen will be good to have something like the old dreamcast
The extra size the screen adds really helps I think, PS controllers always felt a bit small to me.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I can see it being shined up and slimmed a bit, if possible, by the time the final console comes about. I don't know about the analogues, I've grown accustomed to the current ones, but I'm sure it'll be fine.
craigwp2703's avatar
craigwp2703 4 years ago
Looks like a natural progressive of the dualshock 3, like kaz said, to me. I like the look of it, but it's worth pointing out that this will be a prototype and is more than likely cosmetically different from the consumer released version, that speaker/microphone looks interesting and the port on the bottom, headphone port?
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I can see it being a headphone port, as setting up the PS3 headset wasn't exactly easy for some people. I don't know about it being a speaker, but a microphone would just be like a continuation of what the DS had, and too many games'll use it as a tacked on gimic to blow in to, which isn't great.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i always thought that the ps3 controller was the best with the sticks in the right place , i like the idea of a small screen in the middle giving you info, maybe it could be good for displaying maps or objectives in games , hope sony do not change it to much though as i think the current pad is very good
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Imagine our consoles looked like the Dev kits too. Eurgh.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
Yeah the PS4 needs a bigger controller I think, the dual shock always feels very fragile and light to me
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
John 4 years ago
I certainly hope they make it look more cooler, but I'd be ok with something like that to be honest, doesn't seem to diverge too far from the original design which adds a good sense of familiarity. As long as its no boomerang lol.
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
The one in the picture looks a bit chunky. The PS3's controller isn't too small really but it's too thin. Makes it get a bit uncomfortable if gaming for long periods of time - unlike the xbox controller. So if the PS4 controller is a bit chunkier than the PS3 one and has better triggers, then the controller will be fine :P
Aminu 4 years ago
Thank God. Design didn't change, but its a bit big. Could probably kill a friend if you tried throwpassing it though.
The Dave's avatar
The Dave 4 years ago
I think it looks nice, obviously the blue light bit is for PS Move nice to have this built in rather than an added controller. To me it doesn't seem like a screen on the controller more likely a touch pad akin to the back of the PS Vita and of course this is the Dev version of the controller and it will go through all sorts of erganomic procedures before the final form is released.
J-D's avatar
J-D 4 years ago
looks like a test pad, like one for testing but not for style, if that is the pad but they sex it up a bit, i'd tap that.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
That's not the final design. It's good to know we're actually going to getting a real controller with this console though.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Controller looks pretty good, better than what i thought it was going to anyway. The extra bulk helps, i've got big hands and the older controllers felt way too small for me.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 4 years ago
I really don't see the need to have a screen on the controller, it's not a hand-held portable device, that's what your big TV you paid loads of money on is for. I hope all the rumours about touch pad screens are just rumours, it's just a waste of space if you ask me.
Don't knock what you haven't tried.
PrometheusFan's avatar
I have tried this function personally and there's getting around the fact that a handheld games machine is pointless without portability... therefore screens in home console controllers = pointless.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
No controller on any system want's to be left out, now the Wii U has it's 6-inch monster between your hands! You barely notice it's there once you start playing! The small screen idea glimpsed here is a token effort at best but I'm sure once it appears, it'll stay part of the design for years! Touch me!
Barada 4 years ago
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Bit worried about that d-pad, what;s the vita version like? This looks a bit like the 360 d-pad which is awful.
Barada's avatar
Think it'll be a rough prototype image, something so they can use all the functions the final model will incorporate, I'm sure they'll optimise it before we ever get our hands on them.
Barada 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Im actually surprised Sony arent copying the Xbox pad, as most owners of both consoles (like myself) prefer the Xbox pad. It just fits in the hands so much better due to the shape, and the analogue sticks not being directly opposite is a massive help.