Second image appears for PS4 controller

A second image of the leaked PS4 controller seems to have appeared on the internet. While we reported that the first image was in fact an early prototype, other sites are reporting that this could be closer to the finished article.

As you can see from the image below, it's looking a lot nicer in this second image and certainly not as chunky as first thought.

While we have guessed most of the features of the controller we now know that it includes a touchscreen on the front, a headphone socket and an integrated speaker. Interestingly, PlayStation Move has also been integrated into the controller, which could make for all sorts of possibilities when combined with the rumoured two cameras of the PS4.

So what do you think?

Edited On 15 Feb, 2013

Comments
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
But will it be able to switch my kettle on? They always miss something, don't they?
Do they? I can't think of anything that was wrong with the PS3 controller
Barada's avatar
I was only joking! ;)
Barada 4 years ago
Rachael 4 years ago
looks alot more sleek than the previous one, much better :) will be interesting hwo they choose to implement the touchpad/screen thingy.
I don't believe the PS4 controller would look like this
THussain 4 years ago
well i hope it does, really like the new analogue sticks
Rachael 4 years ago
THussain's avatar
I agree the new analog would provide more grip for gaming
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Looks cheap as chips. But I guess that makes sense it being a proto. Wonder how we are gonna pause the games now lol
Fire362's avatar
There appears to be a small rectangle button on either side of the touch pad at the top, most likely select and start.
Fire362 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
An accessible pause button is always good - especially when, at times, I have a Great Dane plodding across in front of the TV screen! ;)
Barada 4 years ago
You need a smaller dog, I find staffies much less obtrusive, on the vertical plane anyway.
Barada's avatar
Every other doggie seems 'too small' now, since we got the Dane. She looks 'normal' - other doggies are like toys! ;)
Barada 4 years ago
That's a good thing when space is limited though, dogs make great hot water bottles, but not when they take up half the bed.
J-D's avatar
J-D 4 years ago
it needs a little OOMMHA!!! if you catch my drift
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Looks like there might be hand grips on the back. That's something controllers have needed for a long time as standard.
THussain's avatar
That's true, adding grip to the controller makes it more comfortable to play.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
This is a very nice looking controller. Like mentioned above I wonder what they will do with it and which games will utilise it the most. I think for RPG's to have your inventory at your fingertips will be a great addition
I liked the look of the chunkier version better, still looks solid enough, as long as it doesn't feel as light and plasticy as previous PS controllers should be alright.
THussain's avatar
Having the controller chunkier would make it harder to hold, the PS2 and PS3 controllers were perfect to hold.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
looks fat need to get it self to weight watchers lol
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
this looks solid not sure bout the thumb sticks but may be ok i like the screen in it wonder why it's got a phone jack in it maybe it will double up as a vita?
THussain's avatar
The thumb sticks doesn't look attractive to me, although it would provide better grip when playing games
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
lol it is a bit tubb kiki but at least it still will be smaller than the 360
LFC Bywater's avatar
The 360 controller is perfect. Fit's extremely well into my hands and is very comfortable, I think most would agree
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
my hand is molded to the shape of my 360 pad! no joke if i relax my hand i can put my pad in it perfectly
0000000000 4 years ago
THussain's avatar
I don't own a 360 but have played it. It fits extremely well in my hands but that me be because my hands are rather big. If you have smaller hands you would find it difficult to hold
Barada's avatar
Best fit controllers have been for the N64, Gamecube and Xbox (except for iffy d-pad).
Barada 4 years ago
The N64 controller always confused me because of the middle handle, always struggled to hold it as i have such little hands! Really like the look of this one though, but also like the xbox 360 one too, will be interesting to see what their new one will look like.
Rachael 4 years ago
Took me ages to get used to the N64 controller, I was never quite sure which thumb I should have on the analogue stick. The Gamecube pad was pretty much perfect though, apart from the D-pad, was way too small.
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
IGN, command C command V repeat.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
Eurkghhhhhhh!!!!! Me no likey ! >P
Agree
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
I think it looks good, but Im a skeptic. I think out of all of these "leaked" versions, we wont see the real one until Sony themselves release it.
THussain's avatar
That's exactly how I am thinking
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
Im with u mate, Sony could post an image of a leek and an onion and everyone will get themselves at it wont they ha ha!!!!
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Definately. Im not saying its fake, im not saying its real. It maybe an unused prototype, maybe the real thing.

Sony will make at least ten-twenty mockups of potential designs....so even though it might be from Sony, who knows if its the one that gets released.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
it could well be the case and expect they would send them to games companies first and some of these are in administration or closed ie thq so maybe they've released some initial designs never know
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
I cant see them releasing them to game developers......they release dev kits etc so that the devs can design for them, but the only thing that I can really see developers getting is the amount of buttons, analogue sticks etc.....

As far as an actual design, the devs wont see any of that.

Or, at least if they do, they keep it a good secret, and I worked in this industry for a fair while (although, never at a developers when a console is being released, so never know).
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
i am suggesting a developer who is deing like thq with employees with nothing to lose
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Yeah I get what you mean, but what Im saying is I can't see the developers ever seeing any form of design (finished or prototype), as its not something they need to see. They only need to know the specs, and a controller layout (i.e - number of buttons). Anything else devs don't care about.....as long as they can map the in-game controls to certain buttons.
THussain 4 years ago
I doubt the controller would look anything close to this, this is just a rumour started up over the Internet to get people excited.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
think the features are a step in the right direction though! want it to happen
I agree the rumours about what the PS4 controller features sound intriguing
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
Controllers are usually the least exciting part of the gaming experience, well, these PS2/3 have been. Functional (and vital) pieces of kit but hardly revolutionary. So long as they can stay the distance and not fall apart in a hurry!
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
Whilst it doesn't look brilliant, it certainly looks better than the previous one! Though to be honest as long as it is easy to hold and does the job, that is all that matters! :)
craigwp2703's avatar
craigwp2703 4 years ago
Still looks like a prototype to me, although a sleeker version, but maybe the sleekness is just a new image angle. The 20th will reveal!
only a few more days now :)
Rachael 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Just so everyone knows, this picture of the controller is the exact same one as the one that was previous, just at a different angle.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
it's getting closer and closer will be a very interesting wednesday it has to be ps4 after the video release of the generations of playstation but do question if it will be called ps4!
Konakona's avatar
Konakona 4 years ago
It looks like crap. It just looks the same as the old controller but wider to fit in a touchpad or whatever that space is. Those analogs are gonna murder your thumbs when you try to hit the ps button too.
Konakona's avatar
Oh and please, for the love of god, get rid of those horrible triggers from the ps3 controller.
Konakona 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
i think it's better i have a habit of pressing the ps button mid game and it's very annoying as isaac gets mauled to bits by the two stalkers who run up to me anyone with dead space 3 know if there in this one? a great enrmy
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
I will be very shocked if the thumbsticks are directly opposite each other though, as it was one of the main critiques of the PS3 when compared to the xbox. The xbox pad is miles better (apart from the sucky D-pad). Off-center the analogues like the Xbox does, and we're in business.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
the ps3 pad is what people are use to brad so can't see them changing it can't see it being called 4 either as 4 is unlucky in japan
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
True, but maybe you gotta know when your beat? This pad is still the same basic design as what appeared on the PSX fifteen years ago. Xbox came out and beat it, Sony just needs to swallow that and beat Xbox back.

They can keep the design etc, just need to off-center the pads!
Lavindathar 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Alot of the people who have the PS3 use it because they don't like the Xbox controller. I hate the trigger buttons on the xbox controller, and I hate the d-pad. It is a much better pad for FPS I'd say, but for games like FIFA it's worse.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
agree with you dynamitewhyte i prefer ps3 and would go off it if the pads changed to be like the 360. i tried a 360 pad and found it clunky and uncomfortable but i always have been ps which is the universal pad it's similar to the old megadrive and snes pads years ago and so many have followed i would say gamecube was most similar worst pad the first xbox which was irresponsive i really dont like 360 pads though
Lavindathar's avatar
@Kelly/Dynamite - I'm not saying about the shape....the shape of the PS3 controller is lovely. And yes, the 360 Dpad sucks.....All im discussing, is the analogue sticks being level....its not a natural position. Even my die-hard-sony-fanboy friends agree on this....they'd all keep the PS3 design, just move the left thumbstick up an inch or two...and I have to agree, it'd make the PS3 pad amazing.
Lavindathar 4 years ago
THussain 4 years ago
3 more days to go for Sony's announcement. Can't wait to see what they show off, we should be able to get a look at what the controller looks like (if they are showing off a new console that is) and see for ourselves what the PS4 actually looks like
THussain's avatar
Oops I accidentally repeated a sentence twice which doesn't make sense, what I was meaning to say is we won't need to debate anymore about how the controller would look and won't need to listen to rumours
COP3Y DUNT's avatar
COP3Y DUNT 4 years ago
I prefer the chunky one, it looks like it could take a bit of a thrashing and thats needed when I'm playing fifa!