Rumour: Gaikai to be used to stream PS3 games

We won't pretend we haven't said this all along, because we have, however here's another rumour for you.

The PlayStation 4 will be capable of playing PS3 games via cloud streaming service Gaikai, according to a Wall Street Journal report.

Citing unnamed sources the site claims that this new the feature will be unveiled at Sony's PlayStation Meeting event on February 20, when it's also expected to unveil the PlayStation 4.

Sony Computer Entertainment acquired cloud-based gaming service Gaikai back in July 2012 and its obviously planning to use the company for something. So could this be it?

It seems obvious that the PS4 won't be backwards compatible in any other way, since it's rumour to no longer contain the cell processor, so the only other way for the company to provide this would be to stream the games via the cloud.

What do you think?

In semi-related news, Sony has started the build up to the meeting next week by way of a new video series, 'the evolution of PlayStation'. The video which you can see below, shows the beginnings of the brand, which will no doubt bring some nostalgia to some.

Sounds like Sony are building up to something, don't you think?

Check it out.

Edited On 16 Feb, 2013

Comments
KazzaK's avatar
KazzaK 4 years ago
If log time PS3 owners get to stream games they already have for free then this is good, if not then ill just play them on my PS3
So, no PS3 games for anyone without a high end internet connection then. Seems a bit pointless really.
Arun1910's avatar
You have got to be THE most annoying anti sony woman on this website. If you don't want to know stuff about Sony, then don't comment. What do you get about commenting negativity all the time?
Arun1910 4 years ago
Pointless? This is the future. That's like saying get rid of digital downloads too, because without a high speed connection it'll be faster to go to the shops.
LLOYD 4 years ago
It may be the future, but only when everybody has decent internet connection, which won't be for a while yet, so until then yes, pretty pointless. As for digital downloads, until they are cheaper than physical copies then yes you are better off going to the shop.
Lavindathar's avatar
Lets not call her annoying, no need for insults!

However, I think most people have a decent net connection now, with I guess the average being 8mb? And for those of us with 50mb fibre optic, we can download full games in minutes, so in that respect, not pointless. (Although, I think its an overhyped feature Ill explain in my main reply).
Arun1910's avatar
Until EVERYONE has a decent internet connection? EVERYONE in the WHOLE WORLD? Your comments don't even make sense. So many people these days have broadband, hardly anyone is on dial up, this is a fact. As for the pointless thing, no it is not pointless whatsoever as it is optional to the person who has a PS4 of whether they want to download the title.
Arun1910 4 years ago
Calm down dear.
Arun1910's avatar
Calm down? All you do is troll, do you have nothing else to do with your life? Every sony article I see, I see you and your negative comments which don't even make sense and are full are sarcasm. If you arent interested in something, dont comment
Arun1910 4 years ago
If I'm not making sense to you that's probably down to some mental deficiency on your behalf. Also, you don't like my comments you aren't obliged to read or comment on them, are you?
Arun1910's avatar
I've told you how they don't make sense if you can actually read. Why would any company wait until everyone in the world had something? That makes no sense whatsoever. And being able to have an option to download titles, why is this bad? Its good for the consumer as they have the option, so not pointless. As for not liking your comments, Im pretty sure no one does seeing as you are the most negative person on this site. Its hard to just scroll over a trolls comment, especially when their avatar is them with red hair.
Arun1910 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
I dont think the avatar is her, looks somewhat familiar?
Lavindathar 4 years ago
I agree with Gloria not everyone has a good enough download speed to be able to stream games. Example my download speed is around the 4.09 Mbps mark
Arun1910's avatar
I meant someone with an Avatar with red hair, I know its not her... And @SaiyanNox, that doesn't mean Sony won't do it. Internet speeds are normally due to provider but mostly on location. Not everyone will be able to get 10mbs and above. Simply impossible.
Arun1910 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Even at 5mb/second , thats a fine download speed to download at. Say it takes 2-3hrs? Is that considered bad? Before I had 50mb bband I had 2mb broadband as I lived in a very rural area....could still download games off XBL in 4-6hrs.
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Also, you dont need a top connection speed. any will do, you will just get a lower quality stream.
LLOYD 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Agree, if you can download a full game in less than 10hrs, your connection is good neough to stream.
Barada's avatar
Uh, even iPlayer on the Xbox has regular errors - how the bloody hell can streaming games be any easier? Many of you are under the illusion that just because you have good advertised speeds, that's what you get all the time. I don't find streaming video as a reliable form of entertainment, why would I want my games 'fed to me' over a live stream?
Barada's avatar
@Arun1910 I presume people like Gloria and I have been around gaming for quite some time, a lot longer than most. I'm afraid not everything in gaming is great, and everyone is entitled to say what they like about something we all play and pay an extreme amount of money for. If you want peppy upbeat go-go-go vibes - how about becoming a cheerleader?
Skiba's avatar
so if you have been gaming for years it makes you negative? has not done that to me.
Skiba 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
"Also, you don't like my comments you aren't obliged to read or comment on them, are you? ” Seriously? THIS from YOU? You are a hypocrite Gloria. Through and through.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Barada, I take it you've never used Onlive then or Gaikai itself in "all your years of gaming experience".

No, your right, Sony just spent 400million buying them because its proven not too work.....

Streaming games works just FINE. If you have the net connection for it.
Barada's avatar
For fake entity's sake - chill people. As the artist, Bob Ross, said many times "we all see nature through different eyes" - as such with gaming. I couldn't give a F about how many fantasy numbers who paid who, to be perfectly honest. I just think too many people are jumping on the bandwagon before the tracks are laid down properly - or even have a destination.
Barada 4 years ago
there is alot of people in my area including me that have 8mb broadband but at peak time you only get 1-2mb if that and cant even stream youtube that great and its same for alot of people that dont live close to city areas which is why they say uk has some of the slowers broadband in euro
glenn 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Barada, if you scroll down on the main page, I actually posted my thoughts on the matter, which is that it will not be a success. I firmly believe that, however, it wont be for the reason relating to internet connections, as the technology does work.
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Wow, somebody is getting their knickers in a right twist.
I had my share of problems with this "Gloria" in the past. Her information always strived to be false. I don't agree that added functionality can be pointless. I also don't agree with the idea that in order for something to be implemented, everyone in the world has to be able to use it. Not everyone can afford to buy PS4, that doesn't mean they should not sell it. If streaming services that require high internet speeds were in fact mandatory, then that would be a problem, especially since I would prevent the rest of my family from playing online properly and having normal pings. But if it's something that's an extra feature designed to provide at least some form of backwards compatibility, I don't see why it would be pointless. Offtopic: "her" picture is from some random wig selling site and this is the url: http://www.littlestarparties.ie/show_product.php?productId=19753&PHPSESSID=945jakh8fidt3dejgh3aqbbcp0
LIDIJA 4 years ago
Why put my name in quotation marks? Unlike many here I use my real name.
Barada's avatar
Who cares where an avatar pic came from - you get points for that? Oh no! I'm not really Yoda - couldn't you tell?
Barada 4 years ago
Just as your picture is real. I am not saying that you aren't using your real name, because you just might be, I just don't feel obliged to believe it without a question.
LIDIJA 4 years ago
Oh I remember you, you had a hissyfit when I won the comment to win competition. Somebody else with their knickers in a twist over nothing.
Barada's avatar
How strange, I won one of those as well - are we on a hit-list? ;)
Barada 4 years ago
Barada, I agree with you. But I also implore you to take into consideration the fact that you cannot use Yoda's picture in a way that would make others think it was really you. I believe you took that picture because you like Yoda or what he represents. I doubt the same can be said about Gloria. I was just answering other people who questioned the picture, just wanted to point them to the source. I don't care what picture anyone has as long as they are not explicitly claiming to be someone they are not (which no one did here).
LIDIJA 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
I understand what you mean but I'm sure no-one, of sound mind and body, believes Yoda is actually real (or me). I don't actually use the image of the great one in any way, other than show my appreciation and fandom of said character.
Barada 4 years ago
Actually, I do not remember any competition. You must have confused me for someone. I was the one who corrected you when you falsely claimed that GTA: Liberty City Stories and GTA: Vice City Stories were not canon. That was our only interaction, so I would be thankful if you did not force other people's deeds as my own.
LIDIJA 4 years ago
I'm all for conversation guys but calm down
How can I believe you are who you say you are though, you are using an obvious false name, a different one to the one used by the person who incorrectly corrected me about the main GTA series all going to PC and then failed to understand the meaning of the term spin off and claims the 'Stories' instalments weren't spin offs to the main games because they were in canon, but you do place my name between quotation marks, and also use quotation marks when referring to me e.g; "her" just like the person who had a similar hissyfit to the one you are having right now the last time I won the comment to win competition, so you can see how I would make that "mistake". I am who I say I am, I don't use my real picture on here, or any other public place on the internet, but several members here have interacted with me away from this website, so know that I'm not pretending to be someone else.
Datastatic's avatar
This whole conversation is dick. Let it go...
Datastatic 4 years ago
And like I was right about all the main GTA games going to PC and the "Stories" games being spin offs I am right about this. Whilst the average broadband connection may be fine for downloading and playing games online, well most of the time anyway, it would not be enough to reliably stream a PS3 game. For that you would need a high end connection, and the people with the 50MB fibreoptic connections who wouldn't have a problem with it are in the minority. So paying all that money for a streaming service the majority won't be able to use, and those that are able probably won't bother with, is, as I said, a bit pointless.
Case closed ;)
Let's go over few of your points, shall we? I'd like to let you know that I am using my real name here (albeit it's written in caps) and that in fact it's the same name used when we talked about GTA series. You might go and check that out. You never said that main GTA games went to PC, but that every GTA game came to PC, which is false, because not every GTA game came to PC. If you were smart enough to include the word "main" then, it would be a whole different story, so read what you write and don't lie. Also, I advise you to read up on the meaning of "spin off". Stories games were practically the same as their "main" counterparts, only with lower resolutions/textures, media exposure and were originally released as handheld games. Gameplay-wise and content-wise they didn't have less to offer than 3 or VC for example. If you are really who you say you are, then I apologise for the quotations. It's also ironic when a person whose judgement is clouded by temper tantrums resorts to using ad hominem attacks against others and then calls THEM hysterical. Ingenious, really.
LIDIJA 4 years ago
Gloria, I agree with you that in order to stream a full 1080p video at 30 or 60 FPS is beyond almost anyone's bandwidth. That's the reason why streams might be lower quality and will have "huge" input lag. I never argued you on that one. I just said that service as such could work, maybe not like playing on PS3, but it might have it's uses.
LIDIJA 4 years ago
Semantics.
dont rise to it gloria your better than that
Konakona's avatar
That was intense.
Konakona 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
My real names Brad btw, if anyone cares............

Moving on. Lets leave the insults and bashing out. Its fine to disagree with people. I happen to disagree with Gloria's point on this matter, but we aren't 12 years old (if you are, its not a direct insult at you).

Whats wrong with actually giving an opinion based on fact or your feelings, and listening to other peoples opinions without going on a personal offensive?

If you disagree, thats fine, and its usually healthy for a debate...but seriously, lets leave the personal stuff out if. Just state why you disagree in a polite manner!

Lavindathar 4 years ago
yeah some people needed to calm down and stop being so personal it's not nice my biggest concern is if everyone every week argues about who won the competition shopto will think why should we bother and they wont do it anymore i will be honest my account locked me out last saturday and after being made redundant i was gutted as felt it effected my chances of winning a coy of dead space 3 but you win some and lose some and the winners were well deserved of it some people just should live and let live and be thankful there is such thing as the competition in the first place
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
agree brad lets all get on
Konakona's avatar
People who spend £200-300 on a machine always want to feel like their machine is superior. They care whether or not it is superior. They just need to believe that it is so they don't feel like they have wasted their money. Thus, fanboys were born. In the gaming industry there will never be peace. There will be only war. War has changed.
Konakona 4 years ago
life is full of opinions like my opinion of this argument which i think is stupid its a net forum! opinions!
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
Konakona: Quoting Snake? :P Brad, I totally agree with you. I am all for presenting opinions, but there is another issue at play often times. People often confuse facts for opinions. If i say that I like a certain game and enjoy its gameplay, that's a matter of opinion. If I say that game A has more weapons than game B, that's a matter of facts. We cannot expect everyone to agree on everything, nor they should. But we have to make a distinction between opinions and facts. Facts should never be victims of subjective thinking because facts never change, regardless of our opinions. Also, facts are easy to prove, that's why people who don't know the facts usually resort to comments "It's because I said so." or "I am right, you are wrong." without providing any arguments or proof and avoiding the questions directed at them.
LIDIJA 4 years ago
Shoxy85's avatar
Fight, fight, fight, fight ;)
Shoxy85 4 years ago
can anyone alert me when world war 3 is complete ;)
PrometheusFan's avatar
“ dont rise to it gloria your better than that ” - I have honestly seen nothing to suggest this since I've been posting here.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
These comments make for some good reading lol. It's like the comment section on Youtube
Konakona's avatar
LIDIJA, Of course! Who doesn't love snake?
Konakona 4 years ago
True that Konakona :D
LIDIJA 4 years ago
Konakona's avatar
I bet some of you get off on arguments like this. It really was a mass debate! Get it? *snorts*
Konakona 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
what an interesting sunday morning read. i cant believe some of your reactions over somebody having an opinion which is actually a correct opinion, ive got 60mb fibre optic im lucky but i would still prefer my games on a disc i guess im old school like that im 24 ill stick with what works but for some of you to just insult gloria and others over her opinion. look in the mirror and sort your own issues out because you clearly have some to get so angry over an opinion!
0000000000 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Yeah, back to gaming! I was up to 2:30am playing Hexic HD (Xbox360). Thought I'd play something chilled after trying the Bulletstorm demo - yeah, it's a few years old already - looks like one helluva good sub-£6 buy possibility! ;)
Barada 4 years ago
The funniest thing about all this is that the people attacking me are the same people applauding Sony for mocking their competition. It's OK for Sony to poke fun at others, but anyone says anything remotely against Sony they act like it's a personal attack against them or something, I find it hilarious.
Gloria, does this include me as well? :) I had a quarrel with you, even though I have nothing against you, but I never commented on what I think about Sony's marketing campaign Offtopic: What is this competition people keep mentioning all the time? Because I get the feeling that some of them might wrongfully presume that our "fights" are centered around it.
LIDIJA 4 years ago
No, not you, the usual suspects. You just pop in accasionally to nit pick.
PrometheusFan's avatar
It's not about you saying anything against Sony though, is it Gloria? It's about what a pretentious hypocrite you are. You've been hassling people (Myself included) for making the most base observations about anything Nintendo related since we started posting here with repeated whining about trolling and fanboyism, while simultaneously making making posts in any given Sony related that more often than not actually DO read like troll posts (as I would define them). And then you have the nerve to act like you're somehow better than console warrior **** slinging? Whatever... you're easily the most annoying poster on this site by far in terms of post content and volume.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Did someone just say something?
(Laugh out Loud)
Melissa 4 years ago
Steam gaming.... Sony is providing a Sauna for PS4?
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Personally, I think this is an over-hyped feature for a few reasons:

a) The games wont backdate. Any games you already own, wont be free to play. Its too hard to implement, as you can't proove what you own. And they cant scan your profile, as you can rent/borrow a game, load it to your tag, and claim you own it.

b) The games will be very overpriced. Expect to pay top end (as with all digital games) for games from an older generation.

c) Streaming games can always generate lag. Good on some kinds, not on others.

So, for a few reasons, I think its not a great feature. It'll happen, im sure. People will hype it up to the death. Then, it'll get released, and hardly anyone will use it.

HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
I'll just plug in my PS3 if I feel the want to play a PS3 game
Lavindathar's avatar
True, but many people will trade their PS3 in towards a PS4. This is where the market will lie for Sony....those, and the people who never bought a PS3 (X360 owners getting PS4) etc.
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
My internet won't be good enough for this, so if I ever get a PS4, looks like I will be keeping hold of my PS3! This is good for people who haven't owned / are trading in a PS3 and have a connection that can handle this kind of thing though :)
wiiluigi's avatar
wiiluigi 4 years ago
I was thinking that Sony would only make the PS3 games that you have downloaded compatible with PS4. I don't have a PS3 but if the PS4 isn't backwards compatible, I will get a PS3.
THussain's avatar
Isn't it a bit too late to get a PS3 when the next gen console is about to release, but then again who am I to judge your opinion
THussain 4 years ago
wiiluigi's avatar
wiiluigi 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
More rumours. Seemingly based on existing rumours. Christ the sooner the 20th rolls around the better.
wiiluigi's avatar
wiiluigi 4 years ago
THussain's avatar
THussain 4 years ago
I would love it if the PS4 could play PS3 games without steam but if it can't then I'm not so worried, ill just use my PS3 to play the game.
craigwp2703's avatar
craigwp2703 4 years ago
Hopefully gaikai will read your own ps3 disks and authenticate the stream of it to the ps4. Not rebuying my ps3 games again, I'll just keep my ps3 (as i plan to anyway) but this would be a good way to keep BC for all future consoles :D
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
This is like totes obvs innit. Next up. Rumour : PS4 to connect to TV's.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
just watched this bubble away tonight after seeing some of these comments. first the idea of streaming is a nightmare i don't like it and like gloria has mentioned some people don't have a good net connection and some none at all what happens when you move and need to get reinstalled etc it is a good point. on the subject of gloria bashing i am going to stick my penny worth in it really is not fair she is one of the best contributors to this website and is allowed her own opinions and i never had any runs in with her also does it matter who wins the competition as said if you dont win keep going law of averages mean you should win every now and again but dont make a good thing disappear because your bitter of someone winning as shopto might just stop all competitions enough said
Lavindathar's avatar
As I said earlier Kelly, streaming does work. I've played quite a lot of Onlive on a 50mb connection here at home, and you notice no lag, its very playable.

However, and without finding the file I can't be sure, but I did an interview with the president of Onlive a few years back, and he said (and this is me remembering), that at least a 4mb connection was needed, with 8mb needed for an optimal connection. Now, i dont know the %'s but I guess at least 40-50% of Broadband users have over 4mb? Anyway, by the by. It will happen, so lets see how it performs.

I dont think the competition has anything to do with it tbh, there are plenty of people on here who just spam one or two line posts without actually putting any thought into it. Its Joe's job to sift through the rubbish and decide whos worthy of winning........im not sure why the above guys brought that up, or whoever did, but if people are just here for the compos then the site will struggle to provide healthy debate.
Lavindathar 4 years ago
think i will agree to disagree as this is the same onlive who made very little money and let all there staff go. I agree with the stuff about the compo though
Lavindathar's avatar
Im not saying they succeeded as business, dont get me wrong. I'm saying there technology DID work. However, it's a risky plan, as it has to pry people away from the consoles, and convince skeptics (like yourself) the technology can do what it says.

Im just saying from a personal experience, the technology can do what it says.

However, as a business they were very poorly ran indeed. Shame, the president of the company was a real nice guy too.
Lavindathar's avatar
Oh, and as I said earlier - if the tech didn't work, Sony wouldn't of spent 380million on buying Gaikai. The hard part isnt streaming, its convincing the world this idea might work.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
get that point but if the tech was so great why didn't millions just queue up for it anyway
Lavindathar's avatar
I guess the same reason I didn't? I like my 360. I like retail versions of games. I like owning a disc, and being able to trade it if I want too? I want to be able to play if my internet goes down.

The list of cons is long, im not disputing that ;) Im just saying, it does work. Its just not for me!
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Sometimes i cant afford to pay my virgin media bill due to other bills mounting, i dont want to be punished by not being able to play games for that reason. physical discs for me all day long
Rachael 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
It would kill me to be honest, as I work on Oil rigs, and I take my 360 with me. While we do have internet out there, dependant on weather its not very stable, as we are like a thousand miles from land or w/e.

But, I doubt any next gen console will NEED a permanent net connection, but obviously this streaming service would.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
spot on that is why i hate the idea i like physical stuff even cds too
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
i serously can't wait for next gen i don't care who comes first i just want to have better graphics and see what sony and microsoft have to show this is going to be epic one tning im worried about is the price points
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
in this market might enter cheaper than last gen but will see
Lavindathar's avatar
360 around the same as the next xbox, but I think the PS4 will be cheaper than the PS3 launched at. Both around £350-400 I reckon.
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
Having read through the conversation finally I feel some great points are made. It might be a good idea for Sony not to make the next gen HD because not everyone has an HD TV and to remove game chat because not everyone has a Mic as well. Also to clarify things Nintendo are best and Sony are rubbish, Microsoft are somewhere in the middle unless they dont allow you to play second hand games and then they are the devil. This is despite I have no evidence to back this up. Oh and finally my comments are best because they are the longest despite the fact I am new to the site. Also I definitely didn't just come here to win a free game. The Vita and Wii U have loads of games and are selling really well. I know because I have played games the longest out of anyone and worked in some part of the games industry at some point but am now a bin man. That is all.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
If Aliens wasn't up for grabs this week, I'd recommend you win the competition for that post alone.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I agree with Whyte. Awesome comment Data, made me chuckle
Konakona's avatar
Great post. But It might not be a good idea to type that because some of us might be dyslexic.
Konakona 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
pml post of the day datastatic
Rachael 4 years ago
I remember when this new section was peaceful and not full of over aggresive idiots who decide to gang up on one person, one of the reasons being her avatar has red hair... Pathetic. miss the good old times. oh well...
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
To be honest, kevin used to get ganged up on all the time by people for all his nintendo posts. Now one guy's went OTT on Gloria about her anti-sony/ubisoft ones. But the point still stands, people need to chill out more.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
It wasn't even an "anti sony" post, it was about the feasibility of widespread cloud gaming, wouldn't matter who was doing it, my opinion would be the same.
Lavindathar's avatar
I wouldn't worry, the majority of the site stuck up for her. :)
Datastatic's avatar
This. All of this. Although the community has got a lot bigger, it has also got a lot sillier and more territorial since ShopTo decided to kindly give away a free game. Thats not my opinion, thats just a fact.
Datastatic 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Its not really conveinient this. I have dozens of PS3 discs up there. Why shouldn't I just be able to use them? It took me hours to play Ken's Rage 2 the other day cus I had to download it. Why should I have to download when I have the damn disc in front of me? Sounds like the Vita all over again.
Datastatic's avatar
Isn't this just the same as saying 'why cant I play my video tapes in my DVD player'? Its a different machine.
Datastatic 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Don't both use blu-ray format? Like I said I haven't bothered with the specs. But as far as I'm concerned the 360, Wii, Wii U, DS and 3DS all had backwards compatible as standard. Baffles me how Sony cannot do it. But meh. Just another reason to not buy the console on launch for me.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
The Blu-ray thing is a good point but as the PS3 as such a silly architecture it would most likely have to be through emulation like the 360 was. Personally if I want a new console I will buy it to play new console games on. If I want to play PS3 games I will just play them on the PS3.
Barada's avatar
Anticipation that the new Sony system will fill the PS3 void in a hurry have to look at all launches of new tech. It'll be a good couple of years before you can safely move the PS3 out of the rotation. And why would anyone willingly want to disregard a perfectly decent machine? It's not as though I'm in need of PS4'-ing all my PS3 games (through way of emulation or steaming them through, again). Still have a PS2 sat next next to a Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 and PS3 - the Gamecube, Dreamcast and PSone are 'hidden' (and unconnected) but within a couple of feet if nostalgia rears its head! It's all good! ;)
Robichoico's avatar
My problem is space. I don't have the space to keep a PS3, a Wii U, a Wii and a PS2 all up. PS2 and Wii are both tucked away. And Wii U aint that big. The space problem is the PS3 itself. Now it's not a problem a year or so down the line but no doubt when the PS4 launches there'll still be new games coming out for the PS3. Or there'll not be many new games for it until devs think its worthwhile to bother updating the games (considering how many devs are struggling and going bankrupt I can't see them rushing to go to a new system immediately and upping their development costs.) Gives people something to play in the meantime. Not to mention there's stuff like GTAV and I'm sure others that will be out around the same time. I made the mistake of getting a PSV and putting my PSP into storage and then had the PSP get tons more games than the PSV. Not planning on making that mistake again due to lack of
Robichoico 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Concerning space, at 'breaking point' now. We did slide the Wii U (stood up) next to the Xbox (also standing), for now, but no more room for anything else now! Think the PS2 would be 'sacrificed'.. ;)
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
i still want backwards compatibility what happens when your ps3 breaks then?
Barada's avatar
Isn't the whole thing screwed if that happens?
Barada's avatar
Don't they just allow people to re-download content if you lose it, or machines die on you?
Robichoico's avatar
Its the same with anything. What if my N64 dies tomorrow? Will never be able to go to Game and buy a new one lol.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Golden Eye and Super Mario 64 - the good old days of N64!
Barada 4 years ago
I always preferred Banjo Kazooie to Mario 64, back then Rare could do no wrong, so many great games like Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini too.
you can use ebay tho robochico :) i think they sell for roughly 25-30 pounds. i consider that money well spent :)
Rachael 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Yeah you could. But I was simply getting the point that if you want a new one. Then it's impossible XD. Then again some consoles go for stupid money on ebay. Like the SNES
Robichoico 4 years ago
Isome's avatar
Isome 4 years ago
I'm not exactly happy about streaming games - I'm a bit 20th century I guess as I prefer physical media. I also like being able to get rid of games by using them to trade for others or sell on ebay. You can't do that with digital downloads. Price is another, I'm still trying to figure how game prices in $59.99 equates to the same price being £59.99. Especially as with digital games there isn't the overhead of packaging, manuals, etc For the first time ever, I'm not excited by the prospect of a next gen machine
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Michele, you should be :) Remember, this is just a FEATURE, not a defining feature at that. Just an optional extra for those who do want to take advantage of it. I for one, can't wait for next gen to see what the devs can come up with next!!!
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Wow reading the start of these comments was like being back in the playground in the 1990s with the Nintendo/Sega fanboys. I've always made a big fuss about backwards compatability, but if I'm honest I'd barely use it. Most big games have new versions out soon enough. With my Xbox - 360 upgrade it was only Mashed that I ended up going back to as a new version took years to arrive.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
it's a big feature tho brad and one i don't like
Lavindathar's avatar
Thats fine, not liking it I mean, but if thats the case, don't use it. There are tons of things on my 360 I don't use....any of the music stuff, any of the film stuff, so I guess you could say I dont like/care about it. However, its a feature, and I dont have to use it if I dont want.

It doesn't effect me being there, if you get me.
i wanna play ps3 on ps4 too due to my library and would rather play from disc
Datastatic's avatar
I think everyone would Kelly-Marie. I would love one box that played all games Xbox, PS, Wii, PC the lot. Thats my dream. I would also like a pony.
Datastatic 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
I guess Nintendo and Microsoft are wizards since they managed it with their consoles. How very sinister.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
I am just going to pop Sudeki into my 360 and have a blast. OH NO it doesn't seem to work. Bad wizards.
Datastatic 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
We have months before the ps4 comes out. Why don't we complete our games? I know my catalogue will be done by then and Ill keep my ps3 for anytime I need to go back and play something.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Oh believe me it will take more than a few months to complete my backlog. (Mainly due to Steam sales)
Also more than half the games in my backlog are of the RPG genre
fuggyfuggy's avatar
fuggyfuggy 4 years ago
Hopefully they will link it to your PSN account so you dont have to rebuy the purchases. if it includes PS+ content this will be a big bonus.