The evolution of PlayStation continues with PS2 in video

##@image@##

Sony started the build up to Wednesday's PlayStation event by exploring the evolution of PlayStation. In the first video the hardware giant took a look back to the console which started it all, the original PlayStation and now, in this latest video, Sony focuses its attention on perhaps the greatest console of them all - the PlayStation 2.

Obviously this console being the greatest of them all is open to interpretation, but no-one can argue that it's by far and away the most successful.

Edited On 17 Feb, 2013

Comments
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
I remember buying my girlfriend/partner a PS2 bundle back in 2002 - we took it through security at airports a few times, it used to get regularly swiped over by security and their brush-thing - as if I'd wanted to do anything to the thing - especially after just buying it! ;)
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
No mention in the video of the bulky PS2 having the ultimate stash spot? Shame
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
I never experienced one game on the PS2 via the network adapter. Can't think of any games I played that offered it? Although I was using the Dreamcast back then for an hour on a Sunday - through dial-up (1p per min) to play some Quake III: Arena! Seems an age ago, now.
0000000000's avatar
socom 2.. best shooter ever! lol i remember those dial up days! does seem an age ago.. 25 this year and i love my games more now even more so when i play the retros such as Final Fantasy VII VIII and IX and sonic!!
0000000000 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
I was playing Everquest Online Adventures on a US PS2 up until last year when it was shut down. The UK servers shut down a few years earlier. I've also got US FF XI which came with a HDD. I have not played that in a while, but I think it is still playable on US PS2. I was also in the official PS2 Beta tests for the games, and got to play some of the online elements before they released, Twisted Metal Black, SOCOM, Destruction Derby, Monster Hunter, and a few others. Also there was some games that had online in the US that did not get online in the UK - one of the James Bond games was online and one of the Lord of the Rings games was online, US only
superniceguy 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
loved my ps2 my favourite game was resi 4 but silent hill 2 was good too others were ico and extermination sega game with a purple shiny box
Rachael 4 years ago
The ps2 was and still is simply incredible, but my heart will always belong to my ps1. only a few more days to go guys!!!!
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
ps2 was better in my opinion although the resi games on ps1 are amazing and i would like one in that style again but i do love my ps3
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
i liked Dreamcast bestest. That or the SNES. The PS2 was nice though. I have a couple of old games lying around for it so might have to pick another up. THAT IS UNLESS THE PS4 (OR PLAYSTATION AS IT WILL BE CALLED) IS BACKWARDS, BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE !!! Oh and I also like Tobal No 1 and Um Jammer Lammy so it would need to be BACKWARDS BACKWARDS BACKWARDS compatible. Heres hoping !!!
PrometheusFan's avatar
The Dreamcast would have been a lot better imo if the controller wasn't a poorly designed mess and the internet functionality wasn't so badly conceived... plus the actual console was deeply unreliable. Some good games on it though.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I remember saving up for months for a PS2. Then getting GT3 for it and getting bored of that very quickly. Then also getting the turd known as Evergrace. fortunately Christmas then came around and I got Dark Cloud and GTA.3 And a memory card that didn't work well. Shaky starts but then that built into some amazing games like God Hand, Dragon Quest VIII, Suikoden 5, Disgaea DotHack and Dark Chronicle. Sadly all but two of those series are now dead and buried. -_- It also had the last few good Final Fantasy games too. So yeah. One of my fave consoles of all time. If my controller still worked for it I'd be tempted to fire it up again.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
my 8mvb memory card also died on me 1 day i had my silent hill 2 save on it and was nearly done gutted
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Probably had the best game library in console history imo. Just a shame so many third party publishers made so many bad business decisions throughout it's lifetime (Most especially Capcom, and how badly they handled the Resident Evil franchise during that entire generation).
Robichoico's avatar
Really? It got a great remake on the Cube. And 4 is one of the better RE games. 0 was decent enough too. I'd be willing to say it's the last time Resi was actually really good was during the PS2/Cube era. Allthough Revelations is decent enough too.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
I still consider the Resident Evil 4 Gamecube version as one of the best games I've EVER played. Few games have warranted a 2nd complete playthrough as this one did for me. Even began a 3rd effort some time ago, maybe I go through it again - for the 'first' time! ;)
Barada 4 years ago
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
I just loved Fur Fighters, and X!!! that cell shaded fps from Ubisoft was just sheer awesomeness and of course the faultless timesplitters and oh SSX the original(werent they gonna do an HD update of that bad boy????
J-D's avatar
you say timesplitters, i cry with joy
J-D 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
i do miss acclaim one of the quirkiest ever games developers ever shame they disappeared why i think was down to the ports they did for sega
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
GTA3 is still the best gta for me. My ps2 was so worn out playing single player games and PES. Such a good console.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
during the days i remember breaking a copy ofgta3 from overplaying it
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
timesplitters that was a game too!
Rachael 4 years ago
timesplitters is AMAZING. fun characters, fun maps and gametypes. more shooters should take note on timesplitters. i would give anything for a new one to be released
LFC Bywater's avatar
Timesplitters s one of the greatest FPS games i have ever played, as fun as the charcters are i can see people online picking to be the monkey's constantly. If i remember correctly the gingerbread man is extremely thin? sure it would still be a barrell of laigh's though
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Oh yeh, he would he harder to shoot. i think there was a floating snowman too lol. would be nice if they made a remake of future perfect and released it as an arcade title, would be extremely popular in my opinion.
Rachael 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
Another fan of TS2 here. The most harmless looking FPS game around - one that I could play with my girlfriend's young son (at the time) quite easy - gingerbread men and monkeys made the 'violence' way more palatable - and no blood was ever spilt!
Barada 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
it was a game too early for that gen imagine the mapmaking potential nowadays where someone can select there favourite home made map to battle in i could play that game for hours what happened to the studio who made that game?
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
just found out its part of crytek now
craigwp2703's avatar
craigwp2703 4 years ago
Ahh, the ps2 good games, great memories!
THussain's avatar
THussain 4 years ago
There were some great games for the PS2, I miss playing most of those games. The Good old times, won't forget the fun I had with the system