Bungie's Destiny officially revealed at last, requires always on connection

Bungie is tonight revealing Destiny via an IGN live stream. We'll update this story as the information comes through, but in the meantime you can watch live below.

Update 1 - Below the live video we have added a brand new vidoc from Bungie regarding Destiny.

Update 2 - Details at last: Bungie has finally revealed details on it's upcoming game Destiny.

First off, what is Destiny? Well Bungie describes it as "ambitious in its scope, innovative and creative in its approach, elevated in its tone, and is the kind of ass-kicking trek through the universe that only Bungie could create," Activision's Eric Hirshberg told Games Industry. "Very few games transcend their medium and their genre to truly become part of popular culture. We believe that Destiny could become one of those rare games."

"[This] is the kind of ass-kicking trek through the universe that only Bungie could create."

Bungie is really bigging up its new creation which incredibly requires an always online connection to play, although there will be no subscription fee. The developer says that it has elements of a first-person shooter, elements of an open-world sandbox, and it has elements of a persistent world. You will also be able to play by yourself as there is a story, although the multiplayer is obviously a large focus.

The game takes place in the future, on Earth and throughout the Solar System. Players will take on the role of a Guardian of Earth's last city, fighting against a variety of aliens.

What seems interesting is that the game is slated for Xbox 360 and PS3 as well as next-gen consoles. Surprisingly you will not be able to play on PC whatsoever as the game was constantly revealed to be a console game throughout the presentation.

That's about all we know for now. A bit vague yes, but perhaps Activision is saving the rest for this year's E3.

Edited On 17 Feb, 2013

Comments
Rachael 4 years ago
thanks for the link, will watch it now :)
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
my this looks amazing joe i want it now!!!! graphically it is stunning better not be a letdown but this is bungie doubt it will be
so excited for this, happy they said competitive multiplayer will be opt in. everything about this sounds brilliant, looks like we may have another great game series on our hands for the next 10 years.
Rachael 4 years ago
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 4 years ago
Story updated. Refresh your screens :D
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
think i just wet myself with excitement.. i think with it being a MMO it was obvious it was going to need constant internet connection to play! love it.. want it! NOW!!!!!!
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
joe this always on connection is drm coding am i right if so major dissapointment on that front :(
Joe2120's avatar
yes, you can only play when connected. even in single player.
Joe2120 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
its an MMO perfectly normal in that aspect so its no shock it requires constant connect... 0 disappointment for me
0000000000 4 years ago
but they could have kept it to multi player only
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Agree, zero dissapointment here as well. Its not typical DRM, its more to the fact that it ensures online worlds can't be manipulated.
0000000000's avatar
i love it! i physically cant wait for this 1... i assume this is coming next gen also! if so ill be waiting until then
0000000000 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
No kelly...I think your missing the point of the kind of gmee this is. It's an MMO. There is no SINGLEPLAYER. It's all multiplayer, connected to one large world. You can play it solo if you wish, but your always playing multiplayer. Like real life. If I go crash my car, and you drive past it, youll see it crashed. Every change is reflected in everyones world.
LFC Bywater's avatar
Been waiting for a decent MMO to come out for the 360, It's just a huge bonus that it's being done by Bungie aswell
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Looks nice. But the fact that both Bungie and Activision have their names on it makes me dubious that the final product will be half as good. Not keen on the 'Always Online' thing either. At least not till they start sorting out Fibre Optic up and down the country.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
really disappointed with that side of things then what happens when the servers are turned off this is why i am not excited about next gen as much as i should be oh well :(
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
and those without a net connection cannot play this one
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 4 years ago
I can see Microtransactions coming for this one a mile off. In game store is surely on the agenda.
0000000000's avatar
yeah agreed thats a given!
0000000000 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
I wouldn't go that far. Typically, MMOs dont use microtransactions. Thats a feature of IoS games and those based on the F2P model. There aren't many MMO's utilising microtransactions, even ones with no sub fee. I'm not saying it wont happen, but its definately not a given.
Lavindathar 4 years ago
got to agree sadly joe this dont excite me as much as it did originally due to all the drm stuff bet you have to buy it through sony too
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Lol its not DRM!!!!!! It's an MMO.
Lavindathar 4 years ago
i agree, if its good enough tho i will have no problem paying bits and pieces here and there.
Rachael 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
I suppose it depends on whether its subscription based or not. If it don't need a subscription then I can see it doing so
Robichoico 4 years ago
They did say no subscription fee.
LFC Bywater's avatar
No supscribtion fee is perfect, they could have easily gone down that route knowing that people would have been willing to pay ( they way it's looking i would have been one of them) Nice for a company to treat their customers this way.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Very out of character for Activision though, they must be making their money from it another way.
Lavindathar 4 years ago
This is the game I've been waiting for. An FPS MMO. I can't wait. And, Bungie are a great dev studio. As long as they don't make it feel like Halo, they need to go fresh.

And as I said earlier in a mini-reply, the always online part is kinda essential. Its because any changes you make in solo play, effect the world. It's an MMO. If you play Warcraft solo, and you kill mobs, they die in other peoples games....its the same deal.

So, if you want to play in an MMO kind of game, you have to be online...its just how it is.The game doesn't work without an internet connection....
Zombieflamingo's avatar
You should check out defiance its an MMO third person shooter made by the same people that made Rift. Its coming out on 360, PS3 and PC
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Oh don't worry, thats a Day1 purchase for me :D I'm just an MMO addict. Wow/Swtor/Tera/GW2. You name it ;)
0000000000's avatar
im playing WoW as we speak :D just leaving orgrimmer having an other hour on it then on me xbox for a few hours before bed.. whats ya WoW name Lavin
0000000000 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
I don't play it anymore Kiki...I left WoW for Swtor. I play pretty hardcore, so can only concentrate on one at once. My main in WoW was Ultemicia, undead Warlock. I was in a guild called Last Resort on Kazzak EU, we were ranked World 3rd in PvE. Got a few world first kills under my belt, so im happy with that, some cool titles. Been at least a year since I logged on though!
0000000000's avatar
impressive stats my friend ive just recently come back after 2 years out.. i left Swtor to come back to this lol! on my lvl 55 pally at the minute! it kills the hours my wife has the tv lol
0000000000 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
I left SWtOR for Tera (that was very different and cool), then GW2. Back on the XBox though now, MMOs take over my life too much. Just hit 200k GS though, so i guess this does too lmao.
0000000000's avatar
have i got u on the xbox yet?? VII Sparrow VII if i aint add away my friend
0000000000 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
fair point brad it do open it all up but still think there should be an offline element to this
Lavindathar's avatar
There can't be an offline element. Its kind of like a fundamental design feature, if you've never played an MMO its hard to explain. Its not like say, Borderlands where you can have offline/online. There can not be any solo/singleplayer, without breaking the design principles the game was based on.

So, if you had single player, it wouldnt be this game they are designing. If that makes sense.
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Looks interesting, has a Mass Effect meets Borderlands kind of feel to it.
0000000000's avatar
2 immense games combined can only lead to (expected by me) amazing things right?
0000000000 4 years ago
Looks that way.
Lavindathar's avatar
I got a Star Wars feel more than anything else tbh.
Lavindathar 4 years ago
The guy in the cape looked a bit like a Tusken Raider I suppose.
Lavindathar's avatar
There seems to be SW themes in the concept art. For instance, look at the picture at the top of this article, the trooper there is basically wearing Bounty Hunter armour from Star Wars.
LFC Bywater's avatar
I got a big Star Wars vibe from it, not a bad thing at all!
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Generic armour guy? He could be from lots of things really.
Rachael 4 years ago
Looks like a first great MMO for consoles is here! ( i know that there was a Final fantasy one but heard it was absolute poop)
Lavindathar's avatar
FF was ok. If you like that kind of MMO, which I do. And Defiance will be out before this, and that looks good too.
Robichoico's avatar
Dragon Quest X is supposed to be amazingly good. But its not out here yet so :/
Robichoico 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
reading some of the posts maybe i jumped too soon we will see when it gets here
Dats mah gurl!
0000000000's avatar
wheyyyyyyy!!! go kelly!
0000000000 4 years ago
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
Yeah looks as soon as bungie eff,d offv to Activision my heart sunk like everybody elses , I cant wait to now have this and CoD MW15 or whatever the hell it just ramned down my throat for the next god knows how many months........gonna b honest here I dont really care im gonna buy it its a given!!!! i would b hore hyped if this was something like I dunno Mirrors edge 2 or I dunno a remake of fur fighters or something we do nont know so much about hey sorry abut the rant i drunk way too much captain morgans last night he he!!!
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
Quite excited for this! I hope my internet can handle it! :D (Apologies if this posted twice, computer is playing up. Not a good sign for Destiny is it haha.)
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Martin O'Donnell is doing the soundtrack :D The mans Halo work is untouchable
Love all of the music from the halo games, no other game even comes close to how epic it is
Rachael 4 years ago
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Surprising that it's console only, but I suppose the PC does already have an abundance of these types of game.
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
This is going to be epic i can't wait to play this game it's going to be amazing
Rachael 4 years ago
im already calling for it to be GOTY 2013/2014. whenever it comes out
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
lots of excitement about this so will give it a go think the idea of me building a house and someone visiting it is pretty cool
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Going to be a long long year :(
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I just love the fact that it is set within our universe too. Makes games feel better when you know the locations.
Lavindathar's avatar
It'll be that far in the future in a ravaged world, I doubt we'll recognise anywhere ;)
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I doubt we would recognise much on Mars anyway ;)
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
THussain's avatar
THussain 4 years ago
Game looks amazing, can't wait to hear more news on this
craigwp2703's avatar
craigwp2703 4 years ago
Looks great! but, i'm not one for multi-player especially MMO's :/
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
Are they talking about an expected lifespan of the game to be an estimated 10 years? Sorry, but the attention span of many isn't 10 weeks for a game! I fire-up games from all over the place, so never really see the 'ending' to most! I'm making a concerted effort to finish what I start, though - call it a 2013 resolution. But still, 10 years? We'll all be playing 5th gen consoles by then!
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
It depends how they proceed with it, If they have things being constantly updated, large pieces of DLC ( like new planets) then i think they could get a fair few years out of it. Not sure about 10, but i guess we will have to wait and see.
Barada's avatar
Can't fault their enthusiasm or ambition for the project, that's for sure. Console-based as well, this could be the next step for many types of game.
Barada 4 years ago
I'm going to keep my eye on this since it sounds like my ideal game and Bungie is the developer so it's win win, I mean they did create Halo.
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
i don't really mind if it always needs to have a connection its an online only game so. i only care when diablo 3 does not let you play ofline ):
its the only way they could do it. missed out on diablo 3 because my pc broke :( diablo 2 was one of my most favourite games ever!
Rachael 4 years ago
Jamie 4 years ago
the game looks very good but the always online thing is an issue for me as if my internet goes down the game is essentially useless to me and i would normally trust bungie but now they have activision looking over them.
LFC Bywater's avatar
I understand your'e annoyance, but this game is an MMO. There is no way possible that it can be any form of online. Same applies to all of the other MMO's out there.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago