Rumour: Xbox Infinity seen in Bungie's Destiny Video *update*

Update:

It looks like Bungie did not plant this logo during the video, in fact contrary to what we were told, it appeared before the video did. Many are calling it fake, which it could very well be, however there may be some truth in the name at least.

Infinity makes sense for many reasons, for one the symbol for infinity does look like an eight turned on its side and if indeed the next Xbox is closely tied to Windows 8 then this would make perfect sense.

Another meaning for Infinity could be that it's always on, perhaps referring to the Xbox's always on connection?

All rumours of course, but feel free to speculate.

Original:

It looks like Bungie has planted a small hint to the next Xbox, or Xbox Infinity in its Destiny video.

We say planted because why else would the ID be blanked out but not the name? Sounds like something Microsoft would plan to take the limelight off Sony to us.

What do you think?

Edited On 17 Feb, 2013

Comments
Grumbul's avatar
Grumbul 4 years ago
This could not possibly be any more fake.
Delusibeta's avatar
Delusibeta 4 years ago
It's not in the video and is actually a fake mock-up by 4chan.
J-D's avatar
oh my gosh, this is like the worst thing they have ever done, they have gone too far.
J-D 4 years ago
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
Im thinking the same its got Alexander O neil all over it.....Your a fake ...etc etc
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Joe, I think this is a fake that some site made up. Dont think its in the video? Could be wrong, but thats what I heard! EDIT - This is why I shouldnt open pages and not reply for ages. Seems others already said the same thing.
Lavindathar's avatar
It was made by a site that took credit for it Joe, therefore MS have had nothing to do with it, and has no credibility whatsoever ;)
Lavindathar 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
FAKE written all over it.. although quite smart u have to admit
0000000000 4 years ago
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 4 years ago
Story is updated. Last time I listen to Colin haha :D
Lavindathar's avatar
Lol, its hard mate! Thre are rumours left right and center, no way to know whats real/whats not whats credible whats not!

No-one really has a clue whats going on, so we just gotta roll with the punches.
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Thats it Joe take the easy option out by blaming your colleague :P
Rachael 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
infinity would be an interesting name could this be the first and last upgrade able console meaning it will never grow old! thought!
Lavindathar's avatar
I hate the name ;) I doubt this will happen!
Lavindathar 4 years ago
J-D's avatar
yeah, i mean if they make a new one, what could they call it? Infinity+1?
J-D 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
As for my actual thoughts, I don't think this will be the name for the console. I dont think it sounds good, or rolls of the tongue right. Its not short or snappy enough. I doubt MS will go with it.

My money is on it following Apples marketing strategy, and just calling it "Xbox". It'll be known as the new Xbox until its not new anymore, and forever more they will all just be called "Xbox". Like with the Ipad/Ipod/Iphone
PrometheusFan's avatar
But with that approach wouldn't they run the risk of creating the same brand confusion that many people cite as being a primary factor in the failure of the Wii U(With the naming confusing consumers due to it's similarity to it's predecessor)? Personally, I like Xbox 720, but that might be due to that being bandied around for so long now.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Lavindathar's avatar
Good point Kevin! I guess it just shows the same strategy can't work for multiple products! However, I personally think the Wii-U's failure is down to lack of advertising rather than its name.

I also like the 720 name, and would be happy with it.
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
tell me if i am wrong but there is a iphone 4 and 5 likewise an ipad and ipad 2!
Lavindathar's avatar
There is, of course. But they aren't actively known as that. Its just, Iphone, and Ipad. Same way that there are multiple versions of a Vauxhall Corsa. they just get called Corsa, for ease, for brand recognition, and for advertising purposes.

I have three Ipads, a 1,2 and a 3. However, I don't say "pass me the Ipad2 please". I just say Ipad.
Lavindathar 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
First thing I thought of looking at that was that someone just had a brain fart with the rumoured "Xbox 8" name and turned the number on it's side. Don't like the name Infinity for it personally... just call it 720, that's what everyone is doing already, no point wasting the name unnecessarily imo.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
expect microsoft though to be a bit more original with the name though than sony can't see the 720 for some reason as it don't mean anything whereas 360 is degrees
Lavindathar's avatar
But no names mean anything! It's all down to marketing, what sounds good etc. Maybe the original name makes sense, such as "playstation", and then just numbered sequels after it!

And 720 would be the logical way to numerically order the consoles. But then again, even if its 360 degrees, what does that actually mean? Unless it means "a full circle" since the xbox, then this same logic would apply, as itd be two full "circles" since the original xbox?
Lavindathar 4 years ago
i think it will just be some random name, Where can i remember durango from? that was something xbox related in the past i think
Rachael 4 years ago
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
what does durango mean? i like infinity and a console you can upgrade like a pc
Lavindathar's avatar
Durango is a state in Mexico. It's also what the animated film Disney's Rango got its name from ;)

Microsoft have codenamed their next gen console "Durango". Doesn't actually mean anything specifically. Its not the name that will launch with the console, its just Microsofts official codename.

For fun, the Wii's codename was Revolution, the Dreamcast was Kitana, the Gamecube was Dolphin.

Just a name that the devs can use to discuss it, without saying its real name ;) Few more for ya, Gameboy was Atlantis. Can't remember original Xbox or Playstation though. Oh, and N64 was Project Reality.

There ya go, some fun facts for you! If anyone remembers Xbox or PSX, let me know!
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Yeh i though i heard it from somewhere! its a terrible name tho so im glad they wont be going with that lol. i think we wil lall find out at e3, and no earlier.
Rachael 4 years ago
I dont know what the psx one was, but the original xbox was DirectX Box i believe. ( i may have googled it :P)
Rachael 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
The original name for the playstation was 'Nintendo disc drive add on'. No seriously it was Play Station. With a space.
Datastatic 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Is the D in Durango silent?
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
lol ps3 was orbis if i am correct though
No, that's the PS4, or whatever it will end up being called.
THussain's avatar
THussain 4 years ago
This might be fake but I'm not 100% sure
craigwp2703's avatar
craigwp2703 4 years ago
Perhaps microsoft is dropping in a few hints, to under cut sony's reveal on the 20th
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
If the Vita: Life, why not call the Xbox: Mortis (Death). Terrible idea and name, I know!
THussain's avatar
I quite like that idea lol. It fits perfectly with their RROD
THussain 4 years ago
Barada's avatar
X-flop might've been a good name for the first initial run!
Barada 4 years ago
THussain's avatar
THussain 4 years ago
Is Microsoft planning to reveal anything soon? Want to see what they have in store for us
Jamie 4 years ago
maybe microsoft told them to drop a few teasers to try and get people to start speaking about the next xbox.