Sony announces Vita price cut for Japan

Sony Japan has announced via live stream that both models of the PS Vita will receive a price-drop in February.

The new price from February 28 is 19,980 Yen, which works out to around 138 GBP.

In addition Sony has announced that it'll be providing more incentives, such as PS Plus free for a week and new bundles, such as a Phantasy Star Online Portable 2 bundle and the previously announced Soul Sacrifice bundle.

Sony also used the stream to talk about monster hunter style games such as Valhalla Knights 3 and the curiously titled Gundam Breaker, which from the trailer looked action packed. Sony also showed off God Eater 2, another monster hunter style game. Most of these have already been announced, but it's nice to see more on them.

In non-monster hunter style news, Sony showed off an RPG from Atlus called Dragon Crown,which looked interesting. Although perhaps the biggest news was square showing off a small glimpse of Final Fantasy X HD for Vita, which looks like it could prove very popular.

The above price cut and games are all Japan only for now, however we wouldn't be surprised to see news of a Worldwide price cut this Wednesday at Sony's PlayStation event.

Edited On 18 Feb, 2013

Comments
All they need to do now is make it worldwide and sort out their memory cards and it might just stand a chance.
0000000000's avatar
agreed price and memory cards are the reason i dont own this.. but its never going to happen! so screw waiting for that im getting the monster hunter 3DS XL 28/03/13 :D got to start saving
0000000000 4 years ago
Can 3DS MH3U players play with Wii U players online? If so we'll have to play sometime.
0000000000's avatar
from the vids ive watched and the things ive read yes it is Wii U and 3DS cross play
0000000000 4 years ago
I don't think the 3DS version will be able to go online by itself but i'm thinking that if the 3DS is connected to the Wii U that you could maybe play online (This will be the deciding factor for me)
Not gonna lie, paying £60 for a 32gb vita memory card was one of the most painful purchases I have ever experienced. Would be better if it was £40. The memory cards are probably this expensive so they break even. They know its a marathon and i'm sure like the PS3 sales will pick up with price cuts and AAA games.
James 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
60 for a memory card is completely ridiculous. That's almost equivalent to 1 and a half brand new games. The memory card situation was the sole reason I did not purchase a vita.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
The most i would ever pay for a memory card is 30GBP
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
A 20% price cut on the console and memory cards could see it selling a lot more over here. But it has a solid market to compete iwth the 3DS which is built for handheld gaming more with it's type of games.
I think the memory cards need more than a 20% price cut, more like 50% and they'd still be expensive compared to SD cards with that.
THussain's avatar
THussain 4 years ago
A cut in the Vita's price should convince gamers to pick a Vita up now.
craigwp2703's avatar
craigwp2703 4 years ago
I wonder if that'll breach to the west, I already bought one now, but a memory card price drop would be great!
THussain's avatar
I hope so too, the memory cards for the Vita are very pricy and simply getting a 4GB memory card is not enough to keep you going
THussain 4 years ago
Gummy's avatar
Gummy 4 years ago
If they do this over here then I'm sure many more would buy one, that's a really good drop in price. And X HD is coming to the Vita? Hopefully that will come to the west, I'd really go for that. Please, Sony!
Barada's avatar
Barada 4 years ago
If only those price equivalents travelled across the globe like that. Suddenly, the Vita appears on the radar of possibilities!
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
I would buy a Vita if we got a price cut. I'd have to save up for a few months as I am not able to work but still I would buy one. I've wanted one for a while but until recently, the only real thing that had me drawn to it was the ability to play the downloaded PS1 Classics. Being able to play Final Fantasy 7 and 8 whilst on the train to a convention would be brilliant. So I hope we get a price cut too! :)
A price cut would make me buy one (Persona 4 Golden) but as Gloria and Whyte point out, that prince cut needs to include the memory cards
Price
fuggyfuggy's avatar
fuggyfuggy 4 years ago
Price cut on memory cards and a big name game is all the Vita needs. Easily my favourite console!!
fuggyfuggy's avatar
fuggyfuggy 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
If they had a price cut over here there would be no hesitation from me to get one, Especially with a FF10 HD coming out for it, loved that game. Not as good as the other FF's but still a great game.
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
ps+ free for a week? That's pointless. Make it 30 days or don't bother
LFC Bywater's avatar
I was thinking they are being a bit stingy when i read that too, Free is free though.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
Boo. I like the fact its expensive and no-one is buying it. It means I can get all the games cheap. Picked up 2 brand new for a tenner for both last week. Put the price up thats what I say to......a million pounds !!!!
Coolsambob's avatar
Coolsambob 4 years ago
Finally! I really hope it picks up and starts getting games made for it, there's nothing on it I want to play, but I still desperately want one
Datastatic's avatar
Just because I am interested. Why would you want one desperately if there's nothing you want to play on it? Just curious is all.
Datastatic 4 years ago
Jamie 4 years ago
on wednesday i think sony will also announce a price drop for europe and north america. this is really good news for alot of people as im sure they were waiting for a price drop like the 3ds had and look how much nintendo have benefitted out of that. i already have a vita but hopefully this will convince some of my friends to pick up the system.
i hope that you are right, a price drop and hopefully ps4 announcement would round off a perfect day
Rachael 4 years ago
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
I'd be more interested in strategy games and RPGs for a hand-held than all these action games.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Will be good for Japan considering Soul Society and One Piece are out next month. Should help shift a few units back home. Sony need to start implementing some steps over here too. A price cut is needed first. Lop £50 off the price and bundle in Little Big Planet or COD and a download code for a single PS1 game up to the value of £8. For people who already own the console give them 3 months free PS+ at least. Or 4-5 free games worth up to £8 each (covers pretty much every PS1 game then.) Start pumping some games out for it. Not sure what however. Sony have already thrown Uncharted, Sly Cooper and Little Big Planet at it. Only really God of War and Gran Turismo left. Or how about they start putting PS2 games out for it? Some great titles I'm sure people won't mind buying again due to the PS3 not being backwards compatible anymore. And by which I mean actual titles. I want Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud 1/2, Suikoden 3-5. Price them around £5-£10 and should do well.