Rumour: Sony considering £300 PlayStation 4

Sony is considering selling its next PlayStation for the rather remarkable price of 300GBP, according to The Times.

The newspaper quotes 'Industry sources and leaked internal documents' which suggest that Sony is considering pricing the new device at about 300GBP, which works out more thank 100GBP cheaper than the starting cost of its predecessor, the PS3.

Sounds like a great price to us, although it's not confirmed by any means.

Edited On 18 Feb, 2013

Comments
Would be nice, but highly unlikely I think, they won't want to overprice like they did with the PS3 again, but they won't want to sell at too much of a loss either.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 4 years ago
fingers crossed at the price
adge_uk's avatar
adge_uk 4 years ago
I hope it isn't £299 - I hope it's a bit pricier with a bit more "grunt"... But I guess they hope local processing won't be the only delivery model with cloud gaming on the rise.
Lavindathar's avatar
Lavindathar 4 years ago
Personally, I can't see it. They'd lose too much. They lost on the PS3, and that was far more expensive at retail. I stand by my original estimate of 400.
I think that was more because the PS3 was made with state of the art components but the PS4 or whatever it ends up being called will be built with off the shelf components
adge_uk's avatar
adge_uk 4 years ago
I think £399 is about right. Although people will balk at it as a 5+ year investment, then spend £700 on a mobile telephone every year.
LFC Bywater's avatar
Off topic but i'm loving the avatar pic bud.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Would be a beaut if this was the rough price of a PS4, and the new Xbox for that matter. Like everybody else though i doubt it will happen.
Unknown_1's avatar
Unknown_1 4 years ago
The PS3 was an absolute mess going for £399.99 and $599.99. That E3 where Kaz Hirai came on stage for announce the price has become infamous on the internet. Just for that price point they alienated so many consumers (unless you are Chad Warden lol). Plus the Cell processor architecture made developers' jobs difficult and pushed them towards the 360 at the start of the console cycle. I think this price is just right for a barebones PS4 without a bundle. Anything over £300 isn't going to be mass market, which is what Sony wants. The Wii U itself has retailed for £300 for the deluxe set and PS4 coming in at about £300 with even more powerful tech and a bigger hard drive would give it very tough competition. Can't wait for the conference in 2 days.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
As long as it's got the games out then that's great..But this is Sony. They allowed the Vita to sell for a year at a high price 'because they couldn't afford to sell it lower.' so I'm guessing this is staying as a rumour. Sony isn't in a position to be losing money on consoles again anyway. Sell too low and then not sell enough consoles would be more of a disaster than the Wii U (where Nintendo at least have the 3DS to fall back on.) To be honest I'd be VERY surprised to see a price point the same time as an announcement in the first place. Have we ever had that? They always announce the consoles, then price them closer to it. I don't think we even got the Vita price until a week or so in advance
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
yeah right there is no way sony will only charge 300 quid for a new console.. the vita is only like 70-80 quid cheaper!
rossthebassist's avatar
rossthebassist 4 years ago
I think £299.99 is realistic. The problem this new generation is going to have is install base they want it as fast as possible before xbox get out of the gates!!! people are hard up and the world is feeling the pinch, i think £299.99 will have allot of people thinking yeah i could go for that now if SONY are smart they will go big with PlayStation Plus for this aswel 3 months for free. i cant wait to see what the future holds, but you have to think that SONY will want this announcement to eclipse anything Microsoft has planned. Which is why i think playstation plus may feature heavily.
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
Maybe this could be the price for the 8GB model that absolutely nobody wants and totally no one will buy leading to heavy discounts 2 weeks latter that sensible people still have NO interest in? It's been done before so the model is tested.
LFC Bywater's avatar
This sounds a bit more realistic, Maybe 300 for the smalled GB console and 400+ for the bigger GB model's? I doubt we will get anything to do with pricing on wednesday. They will probs hold out for E3 to do that.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Unknown_1's avatar
I don't think there will be anything 8GB will be able to hold next gen. Each game is going to probably be around 50GB. Plus you'll probably have to download mandatory patches, installs and stuff just on your first boot of the console and a game that will spend 8GB up. I would imagine any console coming out next gen will have around a 500GB hard drive and a "pro" version with 1TB or over. These things are relatively cheap though. You can get a 500GB for about £40, so it shouldn't cost them to put one in since they get it even cheaper like half the retail price.
Unknown_1 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
Not sure you saw what I did there.
Datastatic 4 years ago
No point being subtle round here ;)
I got it by the way, but I won't spoil it for everyone else.
Kizzy's avatar
Kizzy 4 years ago
I really doubt this rumor because PlayStation are good at over pricing things. Maybe they understand why there consoles aren't selling well?, might be due to the games on it or the price is to much (Similar to the PS Vita). Don't get me wrong I have a Vita and love it but I would love it even more if the games on there were better and they didn't keep on hogging all the games in Japan and if the price was a little lower.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
I reckon they will prob try and be similar to the Wii U in price so more people would by it over that. Either way i will be waiting a bit as im planning on getting the new xbox first.
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
I think someone has found the Japanese price and done a direct currency conversion :P I doubt we would get it this cheap, UK always gets messed about with prices. If this does turn out true though it will probably be the basic model but it's definitely an improvement on the PS3's launch price so that is good. Since Japan had the price cut announced for the Vita, it's very possible we may be getting PS4 for a good price if the Vita gets a price drop here too. If they want the Vita and PS4 to be able to work together then they want to set affordable prices so they can get both of them into peoples homes.
Pete992's avatar
Pete992 4 years ago
Can't see it happening really, unless this will be the starting price exculding anything that comes with it, so no game, one controller, no hdmi lead etc so you'll end up spending an extra ton on top
Jamie 4 years ago
this would be great news for all consumers as if they price the ps4 this cheap hopefully microsoft will follow suit and price their console low priced. however surely if sony say it will cost only £300 im pretty sure they will make a loss on selling the console and therefore have to once again ( like the ps3 ) rely on game sales to drive their profits. we have to remember though this is just a rumour and ive heard dozens of rumours over the last couple of months.
screally's avatar
screally 4 years ago
I hope its under 400, 299 would be awesome, but only if the tech is great and lasts the generation. I'm buying one for release regardless, I do want good quality components though, 299 might be a bit budget price for release.
fuggyfuggy's avatar
fuggyfuggy 4 years ago
i think the price point will be £400-£550. As people have already said £300 will prob mean Sony will be selling at a loss, and due to their continued financial situation i dont think that will be possible for them. The Vita they could make the money up with the memory cards, although they could make the money back on the new dualshock4 depending on the cost of them.
Jim 4 years ago
Well at least you will be able to play your old games on it and buy second hand games for like you can on the Wii U ...... oh wait . No you can't.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Yawn
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
Wonder if it will let you pay again for games you have downloaded from the PS store, also like the Wii U.
Datastatic 4 years ago
TromaDogg's avatar
You don't have to pay again for Wii U Virtual Console downloads if you already downloaded them on Wii, you can just do a Wii to Wii U transfer and play them on the Wii U free of charge. You only have to pay extra if you absolutely MUST have GamePad support and Miiverse intergration on them.
TromaDogg 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Yep we've all seen the Wii U's second hand games features in action. In the sense that all the games available on it are second hand releases of year old PS3/360 titles that is! BURNED!
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
I traded in some wii games and bought black ops 2 for just £4.99 nice to have that luxury for my next purchase. :-)
Jim 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
You need to have absolute proof before you can start screaming burned like a ten year old Kevin. The Wii U has plenty of multi-platform games (like the other two consoles.) but also has a handful of exclusives out now and coming up. @ Datatastic. You don't have to pay for the Wii U VC again? You can import them from the Wii if you want to.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Bindiana's avatar
I think Mario inappropraitely touched Kevin as a child its the only reason I can think for his constant pops at Nintendo.
Bindiana 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I think it's fairly obvious he's joking...
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Apparently not as obvious as I'd have thought. Only have myself to blame I suppose, given I usually take these discussions a bit too seriously for my own good I can see why it might seem safe to assume I don't have a sense of humour.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Johnathon 4 years ago
Another cheap console means another load of bad hardware, hope that this isn't the case or it'll be another 6 years of bad console ports for the PC....
PrometheusFan's avatar
Actually it's already known that the hardware is extremely efficiently designed with regard to ease of game development, so any bad PC ports that occur are going to be down to developers from here on out. Just because it's built to be low cost doesn't automatically mean there's going to be anything wrong with the hardware.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Didn't Crytek say that it'll be impossible to match the PC in terms of power anyways.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Skiba's avatar
Skiba 4 years ago
would pay £400 for one.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Beend rumoured for a while that that price point would be achievable based on the components and power levels being utilised for it. Barring any major surprises like bundled high spec camera or something to throw estimates off. I'm betting 300-350 range personally, which suits me fine for something of that level of power and functionality.
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
Most people dont go off the price of the console when it first comes out. Most people look at the price of the games! It's useless it coming out for £300 if the games end up being £60 or so.
Robichoico's avatar
RRP is usually £50 on games. And if Game are still kicking by the time PS4 comes we know they'll be that price on launch. Unless they try to stretch the RRP to £60 like you said. Which I doubt.
Robichoico 4 years ago
RRPs went up £10 on the last generation jump though, with the explanation that more powerful hardware meant longer more extensive, and expensive, development. Could easily happen again when power seems to be the most important thing about the next generation, despite the diminishing returns on it.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 4 years ago
Really looking forward to this lets hope it is true, also fingers crossed that the price of games isn't ridiculous
Gummy's avatar
Gummy 4 years ago
They've learned.
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
£300 would be great (especially if retailers discount it even further or bundle in games). Might even make me get it fairly early on - rather than my usual tactic of adopting very late into a console's life when there is already a large catalogue of games.
Andrew 4 years ago
£300 it a pretty fair price to me hope the quality is there too..................
Andrew 4 years ago
Andrew 4 years ago
James 4 years ago
Much kinder on my wallet than the £400 price tag it seems to have at the moment...