Yoshida: PS4 will not block used games

It had been rumoured that the PlayStation 4 would block used games. It won't.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said, "Used games can play on PS4. That's the general expectation by consumers. They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right, So that's my expectation."

It was thought that if one system blocked used games the the other would too, however it seems Sony is staying away from this idea. So what will Microsoft do? It does seem unlikely that it would give Sony any sort of advantage, which this almost certainly would be if Microsoft to the no bused games stance.

Edited On 21 Feb, 2013

Comments
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
financially it might benefit them but then all other forms of media would have to follow... can you imagine buying a film that you couldn't lend to your friends and family?? this is not the way media and tech needs to go
0000000000's avatar
i totally agree pyro they would be stupid to do it. im not really overly impressed by the ps4 i might be a bit biased loving my 360 but i think microsoft will top it! saying that if they make a final fantasy HD/remake ill get 1, or a new getaway im in!
0000000000 4 years ago
screally's avatar
screally 4 years ago
They didn't actually mention an optical drive? Sure it'll have one since Sony really pushed blu ray. Excited! Sign me up!
I'm sure that's a weight off a lot of people's minds.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
You'd think, but they'll now go after Microsoft till they announce it, or they'll just find something else to moan about.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Moaning is what us Brits do best :p now that this is off the agenda we can move on to moaning about the weather or the cost of petrol :D
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
I think it is more of a weight off Sonys minds, as I would have been quite content sticking to the Wii U if PS4 (and next Xbox) blocked used games. I think all these rumours were for them to test the water and see what the public reaction would be. I am still not ruling it out completely yet. Sony have acquired the patent, and they could change their minds, or it could be to just allow certain developers to control certain games. MMOs always have DRM, and maybe it is for these games. If they do change their minds completely after buying a PS4 and make every game have DRM, then I will not touch another Playstation ever again
superniceguy 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Acquiring a patent doesn't mean anything. They've acquired patents for everything, as have all the other companys about. Sony have announced they aren't doing it, why keep going on about it?
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
People say things and then see that it makes more financial sense to do them in the end. Nothing is set in concrete. I am still going on about it as that is what this news article is about, and blocking 2nd hand games has been rumoured for over a year, which I think that Sony/MS were putting the thought out there for discussion, but with all the backlash from it they will not in the end do it now. However, the actual Eurogamer article, which I had to search out, provided more info, the info in this article was rather cryptic, and does not even specifically state that PS4 games would be blocked, which could have been older PS games. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-tells-eurogamer-playstation-4-will-not-block-used-games "Interestingly, I also spoke to a Sony source elsewhere at the event this evening who told me that the anti used-game patent discovered last month was actually nothing to do with PlayStation 4 at all." After reading the full article in Eurogamer, it is more clear that they will not be blocking 2nd hand games, and after this, talk of blocking 2nd hand games will begin to die down.
superniceguy 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
It was a rumour. Sony patented it but it meant nothing. They also patented other things that haven't come to fruition. There won't be any second-hand-game banning. Don't worry so much.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Sounds like Tony doesn't like to admit he was wrong with his "guilty until proven innocent" approach to this subject :)
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
Sony and MS are not guilty of blocking 2nd hand games, they are guilty of keeping the rumour alive for over a year. Yes there is nothing to worry about as the patent was apparently not to do with the PS4. It was a year long rumour, that Sony and MS let manifest, and did nothing to dispel the rumours until now. Why didnt they say anything sooner? It is going to take some time to get the rumour out of peoples heads. I was not wrong, I was only paying close attention to the goings on, and working with "what if 2nd hand games were blocked?" now they are not blocking 2nd hand games it gives a whole new perspective. I was only posting against it to help prevent Sony from deciding to block 2nd hand games, which seems to have worked. I bet if the majority of people were for blocking 2nd hand games, they would have done it, but that was not the case. I doubt they would have left the rumour carry on this long if they had no intentions whatsoever to block 2nd hand games.
superniceguy 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Sony/MS aren't going to shut down every rumour they have about each console. Imagine they shut this down. Then they are to shut down the rumour they are only having 2gb ram. Then the rumour they are charging everyone to view the console etc. It's stupid. They had a date for the reveal, and so they revealed on that said date all they had to.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
Yeah, but it was a whole year? This needed to be shut down as it went on too long. They had plenty of time to say something. Where there is smoke there is fire. They did not shut down the rumours because it was probably a possibility, and they are the ones who started it to test the water. They had not made up their minds, or trying to throw confusion to the competition. It is not just me, one person is doing an assignment on MS/Sony blocking 2nd hand games, I guess he is going to have to do something else now!
superniceguy 4 years ago
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 4 years ago
From what I watched last night it seemed there may not even be pysical copies of game they seemed to be pushing instant downloads and didnt mention in the specs bit that it had a blu ray drive.
Well they did just quote him mentioning a physical form, so it's likely to be a disk, unless they mean a digital copy on some sort of proprietary memory card.
Bindiana's avatar
Depends how you interpret that quote I see it as a general quote about consumers buying physical products have a right to sell it not confirming PS4 will have physical media. If the console is all digital it gets round the used games conundrum.
Bindiana 4 years ago
I suppose, it was a bit vague, but it would be a mistake to go digital only now, the world isn't ready for it.
Bindiana's avatar
Looking at another article on this site in the specs for the console it is coming up with Blu Ray Drive and DVD drive so looks like there could be physical copies.
Bindiana 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I think there will be a massive push for digital media from Sony, especially with their 'play it while it's downloading' thing. But I doubt they'll go without physical copys this generation. And if they do, it'll be a version of the cheaper console with a huge HDD years down the line that'll give people the option of who want to go the whole apple route and not have physical copys kicking about.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
The console is confirmed to have a Blu-Ray drive. All games will have physical copies (Download only titles excluded obviously).
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Jamie 4 years ago
this is really good news for alot of people but i buy all my games new so doesnt affect me.
LFC Bywater's avatar
I never buy used games either, but it would affect me as you would no longer be able to trade in games you don't want anymore. Buying new IP's would be a huge gamble, as you may not enjoy it but would then be stuck with it.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
The only time it would effect me would be when me and my mates host our bi-annual fifa tournament. Need copys of FIFA on different playstations. But apart from that, I'm a new buyer and never trade in games(I like my collection, especially now I've moved out. My nephew managed to lose my Collectors Edition Infamous, my Platinum Replacement Infamous etc. I just got my Rainbow Six Vegas games back from finding them in his room)
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
This is great news. I'm not ready for all digital yet, nothing better than having a case, disc and a "manual". Microsoft cannot afford to block used games, if they do I can see the PS4 being my main console, but still having the Xbox for Halo and Gears.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Basically what I bought my XBOX for. Mass Effect, Halo, Gears.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
When i got my first original Xbox it was for Halo CE. Have been solely an Xbox gamer ever since. Microsoft really do need to pull something massive out of the bag though. sure I'd still get one if they don't, but i would be investing more money into my PS4
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Kizzy's avatar
Yeah Microsoft will have to pull something pretty big in order to beat this! :D
Kizzy 4 years ago
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
i was hoping this would happen , its great news i did not think sony would shoot them selfs in the foot and stop pre owned games , if the new xbox does its going to look very stupid
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
Xbox and MS blocking 2nd games is only rumour, but Sony actually acquired a patent to block 2nd hand games. If Sony won't then MS won't If this does not happen, then it is down to what each console can do, but I will no doubt get all three eventually
PrometheusFan's avatar
The rumour about the Xbox 3 blocking second hand games comes from a source Edge magazine is adamant is correct... and while that in itself is hardly concrete, it's worth keeping in mind that so far Edge's sources have been right about everything else next gen related so far (eg. they were the only ones that called the RAM specs for the PS4 correctly). Worth thinking about.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
It is OK to now think MS is blocking 2nd hand games but was not OK to think Sony was blocking them? It probably was true before yesterday, but I doubt they will be blocking 2nd hand games now that Nintendo and Sony are not.
superniceguy 4 years ago
Johnathon 4 years ago
Thank god for that, I was genuinely fearing for the end of pre-owned games but this is good news, although we've still got to wait for Microsoft...
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
I tend to only buy new games anyway (supporting the developers) but am still glad Sony aren't blocking 2nd hand games. That would have been a (very big) step in the wrong direction.
TromaDogg's avatar
TromaDogg 4 years ago
I'm also glad about this. As Gloria said, the world just isn't ready to go fully digital yet. Even if you take piracy and preowned out of the equasion, any console manufacturer who puts out a console that requires an 'always on' internet connection to work is going to cut off a large chunk of their potetential userbase....there's still people who haven't got the internet or never connect their consoles to it for whatever reason (their choice) but still enjoy games. And since preowned sales have been around (mainly the last 20 years), gaming has become more profitable not less. It's all too easy for a publisher or developer to blame the customer when one of their games doesn't sell as well as expected, the crusade against preowned is (for the most part) mainly motivated by greed.
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
This is the best news possible. I always buy new games, but I honestly believe that the struggles with this generation have been down to "codes to unlock multiplayer" which mean a used game is more expensive than a new one. Now that the PS3 is in its later stages of life (as is the Xbox), this means that the casual gamer has now picked up consoles. These casual gamers dont usually spend as much money as the die hard user (like me and my 46 game strong collection), and would rather go for the older titles. A lot of these users will also be kids whose parents will unwillingly pick up a copy of Ratchet and Clank Second Hand for them because they know nothing else. This is where Sony have fallen a cropper as have Microsoft. Relaxing these rules will allow for the games industry to move forward. As good as the iPhone has been for Apple, has it really been good for the music industry, where now no CD's seem to be sold in big bulk? I don't think it has to be fair.
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
Good move, I agree with beazi regarding second hand games an codes. It can be very annoying but I too support good games that have an immersive multiplayer experience from day 1 and buy new. It's only the occasional game I want to go back and play or one that I haven't tried yet but am not to fussed. If they decided to block used games this could cause alot of uproar in the media market!
Kizzy's avatar
Kizzy 4 years ago
So happy about this, the whole thing about stopping used games from playing on your console was such a depressing thing to think about. Really happy to see that's not the case, now will the new Xbox follow suite or will they be doing the opposite? if so its a PS4 for me then :)