Current PS3 and PSN games not compatible with PS4

We'd kind of guessed this already, but in a Q&A taking place this morning Shuhei Yoshida, President of Sony's Worldwide Studios for Sony Computer Entertainment has just confirmed that PS3 games and PSN titles won't be transferrable to the PlayStation 4.

This means that you'll probably want to keep your PS3 if you want to continue playing current titles or any of the PSN titles you currently own.

The main reason for this is because the architecture is so different between the PowerPC-based Cell processor used in the PS3 and the x86-based PlayStation 4, so only games that don't consume all of the consoles power with emulation will be brought across.

Sony is trying to use Gaikai in the future to provide streaming of PS1, PS2 and PS3 games to the new system, although any saves you have will probably not be compatible.

Edited On 21 Feb, 2013

Comments
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
Wonderfull news !!!! So wonder what this means with regards to trophyies etc???
lehhel's avatar
lehhel 4 years ago
Sad! If only PS3 games are not transferable, is OK, but also my online accont?? So I will need to drop all games fro PS3? All the money spent?? VERY SAD!!!!
Jamie 4 years ago
disapointing but its not going to stop me from getting the ps4.
LLOYD 4 years ago
That's OK, the streaming technology will fix all of these problems. Besides, it's the same when you see VITA content on the store, you can't use it on your PS3. The store is for multiple devices.
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
Shame, but can understand why and at least there providing and alternative solution which was inevitable. Perhaps if they put in some sort of cloud saving game function now similar to Xbox then this problem could be overcome and save alot of heartache. :)
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
They have a cloud saving game function if you are a Playstation Plus user.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Seeing as trophies are online things, I figure they'll be able to be carried over, seeing as they were talking about being able to still use your online ID last night.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Seems like the first bit of bad news so far! But it's a big one for me. PSN games are non-transferable! I can't sell them on, so If I haven't got my PS3 hooked up, they become pointless! The plan all along was to ebay my PS3 (god it hurts to say that) to help pay for my PS4. The way things are, it's the only way I will afford to do it. And gone are the days for me where i can keep all my consoles hooked up to play! It's a shame. inevitable! but a shame none the less. I hope that they come back through Gaikai in the future. But that comes with it's own issues!
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 4 years ago
this is slightly bad news but will not put me off from getting a ps4 already on planning to buy a super slim ps3 just in case my current one breaks down , i still plan to play ps3 as much as possible some great games still to come
Beazi's avatar
Same here, my library is only getting bigger in the next 6 months anyway with God of War, Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto and Aimee Kearsley and the Temple of Doom (Tomb Raider)
Beazi 4 years ago
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
this is bad news but i'm not really bothered tbh
screally's avatar
screally 4 years ago
Shame, but then again when ps3 came out it was backwards compatible and I never used it
deadpool19's avatar
deadpool19 4 years ago
What they could do is when someone inserts a PS3 game into the PS4 it allows you to play the game via Gaikai similar to how Blu Ray movies did digital copies before putting codes in the box. But I suppose that probably won't happen as I would like to keep my Batman Arkham City steelbook :(.
Wabisuke's avatar
Wabisuke 4 years ago
it really sux..... it didn't work with ps3 and ps2 so why would it go better with ps4? i don't think it is so difficult to make the console compatible with the previous console games. it's really sad..
troublemaker's avatar
I think it falls down simply to cost. Emulation for an architecture so radically different is expensive to manufacture. Hence the removal of BC from the PS3 after the first iteration. Still a shame though.
troublemaker 4 years ago
Not an issue for me as I don't own a PS3, but it would have been nice to be able to download some of the smaller games.
troublemaker's avatar
it's going to be a shame. For people that skipped the PS3 and go straight to the 4, they will miss out on alot of great games. Anything by "That Game Company" is a prime example. Every one of their games is critically acclaimed and absolutely beautiful. And without the ability to download to a new console, it's just going to get lost
troublemaker 4 years ago
I suppose, can't say there's much on the PS3 that interests me personally, can only think of Last of Us really, and if I can't stream it with my 20MB fibreoptic connection then I'll probably be able to pick up a PS3 for peanuts after a year of the PS4.
troublemaker's avatar
Oh yeah, absolutely. My issue falls down to simply not being able to keep both a ps3 and PS4 under the tv. Would be nice to be able to load up my Killzone trilogy and then follow up with Shadow Fall
troublemaker 4 years ago
Tell me about it, it's going to be a real stretch finding the space for 3 consoles in my living room unless the next gen are considerably smaller than the last. I can't believe that at one point I had 5 consoles hooked up to my TV.
troublemaker's avatar
I can believe the four consoles I used to have under the tv. I can't believe the cables that I used to have stretchy from all four to the sofa with controllers attached to the end. Haha!
troublemaker 4 years ago
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
last of us is out in june gta v in september so we don't have long to play our games
troublemaker's avatar
And Beyond: Two Souls!
troublemaker 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
If it takes me months to complete the last of us, gta and beyond: two souls, then I have problems :P
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
This was the 2nd bit of news that decided me on buying a new console sooner or later. I will now get the PS4 once I have finished playing through all my PS3 games, or whenever they shut down down the online services. The same goes for the the next Xbox if it does not support BC either, and it affects that more so than PS4 as I have way more Xbox 360 games to get through. I would think that the trophies and achievements should carry over, as Games for Windows Live game added to your gamertag. This just shows it is a possibility. With BC comaptibility on Wii U, means I can sell my Wii if I want, and get the new console and still play both Wii and Wii U games on the one machine. If the Wii U did not have BC I would hold off on getting that a bit longer too.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
But what will you do about not being able to play your Gamecube games?!?
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Or your N64 games?
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
Play them on my Gamecubes I have still. Most of my GC games were imported, my Wii was PAL. There was not much reason to import for Wii.
superniceguy 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
I still have N64s too. That is the problem, I got too many consoles and games, to go get more, and the current gen is tied too much online. After a while Microsoft shut down the original console, and the DLC all went poof, but grabbed the missed ones before it did. If they do the same for Xbox 360 and PS3 it will be a right nightmare, as I have way too much of it. The PS4 will be around for years, and chances are that in 6 years the DLC and games will be purchaseable still, but might not be for Xbox 360 or PS3. There is plenty of time to get into PS4 and next Xbox but maybe only about 2 years left for 360 and PS3
superniceguy 4 years ago
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Valid point didnt actually think about them shutting down the servers that would be quite rubbish.
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
Doesn't really bother me as i was planning on keeping my PS3 and xbox anyway. I don't understand why it is such a surprise to people as there are actually very few consoles that have full backwards compatability.
Omnislash_Vince87's avatar
Omnislash_Vince87 4 years ago
Bye Bye to all my DLC!!!
superniceguy's avatar
DLC should be fine as long as you have downloaded it, and is still safe on your HDD. Hopefully they will allow you still to download stuff again on the PS3, even when the next gen release, and keep allowing it and not discontinue even after 2-3 years or whatever
superniceguy 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
This is not good news... I have such a library and some of the current-gen games I have I love to bits! I will have to get another PS3 or something as I want something I can keep playing Dead Space 2 and God of War 3 on. I hope they continue to stock PS3's for the forseeable future. Is there any plans to discontinue PS3 stocks here at ShopTo Joe?
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Im sure sony will do what they done with the PS2 and keep making them and releasing games for quite a while after the new one comes out.
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
GTS82's avatar
GTS82 4 years ago
I'm a little narked I won't be able to play my PSN games on PS4 but not bothered I can't play PS3 games on PS4 as I want a PS4 for PS4 games. The PS4 will just sit next to my PS3.
Kizzy's avatar
Kizzy 4 years ago
NOOOOOO, Why Sony! I have so many games I don't want to lose them just like that, because of this I guess I will be keeping my PS3, just because of this devastating news T_T
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
A little bit disappointing as the PS3 is bigger than my car and it's very unlikely people will have the space to keep both consoles
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Bad news but I think we all expected it. The positives with the PS4 most certainly outweigh this one negative.
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
final fantasy xiv an mmo so u buy it and then sony don't let you play this is a joke. they are giving us 5-6 mouths to play the last of us
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
and gtav u have 2 mouths to play
Taz 4 years ago
Sony have a huge problem with this. They did the exact same with Vita and PS3 owners. If you own an PS2, you have to own a specific (and rare) model of the PS3 to play those games, not only that but it looks TERRIBLE. The same with Vita owners, good luck trying to get your PSP games on the Vita. Now your PS3 library is useless. Sony and their Giant Enemy Crabs, yo.
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
lol (: i will get a ps4 but i want to still play the last of us and ffiv i hear final fantasy u can use your account on pc i hope its true y release an mmo on ps3 now ffs please if xbox guys see this don't do the same
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
i can't understand why they would bring the last of us out in june then a new console where u can't play that game 5 mouths later ):
Robichoico's avatar
Can't wait for Last Guardian to not work on the PS4 when it finally comes out XD
Robichoico 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Do PS3's become defunct as soon as PS4 becomes available? If you're going to want to stick and play a game you've had for 5 months, and are using a PS3 as leverage to get your PS4, then don't buy it on release date. It is not a huge problem as is being made out, this is a next gen system for next gen games. Not a console designed to see how good Tony Hawks 2 would look on the big screen.
Even after the PS4 comes out i'm sure the PS3 will still get exclusive games made for it like how when the PS3 came out the PS2 got games like Persona 4, Ar Tonelico & Atelier Iris.