Sony: We could support existing digital purchases through cloud, if we choose too

There may be some good news for those who have splashed out on PSN content and are keen for it to be transferred to PS4. Sony could support this if it chooses to do so.

Speaking in an interview with The Verge, Sony Worldwide Studio boss, Shuhei Yoshida told the site that Sony could support existing PSN purchases via the cloud, if it decides to do so.

"We know who purchased what as a record. But we are working on service plans and we haven't decided."

Retail PS3 games won't run natively on PS4, so Sony is still trying to figure out a way to bring them via the cloud. It seems this may prove difficult though, with Gaikai's Dave Perry last night implying that the functionality will not be available anytime soon.

Edited On 21 Feb, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
The problem with streaming a game that was previously bought on disc, is you may as well just give your games for free. You'll never be able to tell what was bought, rented or borrowed from Bob, your mate with too many games. And Mr. yoshida, "if we choose to" is a really bad way to say it. Hopefully that was just broken in translation.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Think it would only be the ones that have been bought through PSN that they have the records for and lets be honest they will only do it if it does not cost them too much.
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
Or they get to charge us for the pleasure! See the removal of BC from PS3, then charging us £8 a game to download PS2 classics
troublemaker 4 years ago
Johno Muller's avatar
And won't include Instant Game Collection titles
Johno Muller 4 years ago
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
so this means if i buy the last of us on psn i may be able to play it on my PS4
Steven 4 years ago
I really don't get this, ps3 and PSN games can't be played on PS4 because of the architecture........ only they can.... if they want to?? WTF?
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Think it may be in the same way that only some psp games run on the vita.
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
sergiodaly's avatar
sergiodaly 4 years ago
all the time a new gen comes, its the same thing all over again... BC this BC that... i get that people are accustomed to have BC, but why to people care so much about it is beyond my understanding. Didn't the games say "Playstation 3 Software" and "This software is licensed for play on authorized Playstation 3 only" ? (same goes for other consoles) why do people expect to be able to play it on another machine? when we buy the SW we know the purpose is to be played in the system it says on the box, expecting it to run on another place is just not understandable. Your PS3 does not break or pouts just because you get a PS4. would be good for the SW to transfer? yes. is it such a big deal if it doesn't? no because you bought it for another machine, so play it on the other machine... things have to evolve and change, being tied to the past does not help the evolution... IMO of course!!!
Steven 4 years ago
I get that but what of the 300+ ps3 games I have bought, what when the servers etc get turned off? I'll still buy into ps4 (hopefully Shopto will sort their act out with shipping to Northern Ireland or I'll be going back to amazon!) BUT I would have liked to take my PSN games and trophies with me at the very least!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
http://d35lb3dl296zwu.cloudfront.net/uploads/photo/image/10168/ps4-event_0144.JPG - For anyone worrying about carrying trophys forward. It seems like it's going to be done.
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
off topic but a suggestion for shopto could we have an installment setup on here where we can pay £40 a month or whatever we can afford and as long as we have paid the ps4 price prior to release date it will be sent out. therefore it would not be a credit agreement but a savings for the new console. just think it will help shopto achieve more sales in a tough climate if people could pay what they can a month leading upto release as opposed to it all on release day and if they don't pay it off in time they can keep paying toll they do
Joe2120's avatar
That sounds like a great idea to me. I passed on your suggestion, tho I don't have any influence on the shop side I can at least let them know your idea.
Joe2120 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Sounds good to me, if that doesn't happen though you can always do what i do and just put say 40 a month into a little pot or something.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
im so poor at saving.. i get to about 400-500 quid and bang i must spend! so im doing the old cookie jar thing going to put 20 quid a week in it from now which is around 40 weeks if microsoft aim for november release... which means ill have 600 quid to spend on the xbox :D ooooooooh can i not spend it though lol
0000000000 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
This sounds a great idea as like kikicookie90 I am absolutely shite at saving myself. One idea would be to open a second bank account and pump in a standing order each week/month till the amount is in there, then change the card details to this second account. But it does seem like loads of hassle. If the PS3 is coming out in November say for example (lets say 1st week 44), and we started this next week (week 9), and the console was £400 to buy (if its less you can get a couple of games), then this would be £11.43 a week. A lot cheaper than if you used Brighthouse or Provident or something with stupid APR and you would have paid for it prior to release.
Beazi 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Kiki, if you put £20 a week for 40 weeks, you would have quite a bit more than £600 :P
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
800 typo lol
0000000000 4 years ago
Hey Joe, how come you'll happily reply to a message asking if shopto can be paid money, but you continue to ignore my posts about the £25 shipping to Northern Ireland if I preorder PS4 from shopto?
Steven 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Because, as he has said, is that he doesn't deal with the shopping side of things. E-mail Shopto about it.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I have but they didn't reply either, which I'm a bit pissed about as I'm a loyal gold member. Joe was happy to pass the other info on to the shop, maybe he'd be kind enough to do the same here?
Steven 4 years ago
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
Don't worry about your psn account guys and trophy's you will carry over your psn account if you remember the username and password you used so dont't worry guys only thing we need to do is make a stand about this no ps3 games on ps4 guys really
Kelly-Marie 4 years ago
problem is the hardware not that they dont want to this time but not happy wanted backwards compatible
Unknown_1's avatar
Unknown_1 4 years ago
I honestly hope they let us have access to a digital copy of a physical game we own. Making people pay for the exact same product would be very bad. But I do think the whole streaming games might be exclusive to paid members of PS plus. We'll have to wait for E3. I want to trust in Sony until then.
petesky's avatar
They won't give you a digital copy of a physical game you own - certainly not for free. PSP owners had the exact same issue when the Vita came out. Sony didn't let users have free digital copies then and I'm 99% sure they won't now for these reasons: 1. It costs lots to create the games in a new compatibility format. 2. Sony gets no money from playing old games. 3. It hinders sales of the new titles. 4. Statistics show that people want backwards compatibility but in reality it is seldom used.
petesky 4 years ago
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
It's so unfair if u have a ps3 buy final fantasy xiv and u want a ps4 but you know you can't play your mmo on it ): same with last of us but not as bad
Kizzy's avatar
Kizzy 4 years ago
I'm not sure what to make of those, I want them to provide us with digital purposes because that seems really unfair for us that spent money on the games and then having to pay more money if we get it again. Hopefully they can sort it out for us otherwise its going to be another bad thing added to the list :(
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
simple fix, keep your ps3...
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
Yes it is really unfair on us that we buy good games and know we can't carry on playing them. like i have said for example final fantasy xiv is an mmo which is coming out soon and the ps3 is out in 9-10 mouths so how is that fair that we have that long to play an mmo. I know someone will say now you can still play it on your ps3 why should i go though the effort of changing the hdml stuff and logging in and out of psn it's a joke i have the ps4 pre-orderd but this is one thing xbox could win on. If they come out and say u can play xbox36o on what ever the next xbox is it's amazing
I hope what they might do is if you buy it for the PS3 you will get the PS4 version for a free download or at least at a discounted price with a expansion. Either way i'll be happy since i'm only paying 8GBP for it
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I genuinely burst out laughing at the 'why should i go through the effort of changing the hdmi stuff and logging in and out of psn it's a joke' statement. Definantely comedy gold.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
typical sony... if we choose too means.. if we can be arsed to spend time doing it... im not suprised in the slightest
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
This sounds a great idea as like kikicookie90 I am absolutely shite at saving myself. One idea would be to open a second bank account and pump in a standing order each week/month till the amount is in there, then change the card details to this second account. But it does seem like loads of hassle. If the PS4 is coming out in November say for example (lets say 1st week 44), and we started this next week (week 9), and the console was 400 quid to buy (if its less you can get a couple of games), then this would be 11.43 a week. A lot cheaper than if you used Brighthouse or Provident or something with stupid APR and you would have paid for it prior to release
Goose_1's avatar
Good maths but will wait for the Xbox 720 before I decide which way to go
Goose_1 4 years ago
Jamie 4 years ago
why wouldnt sony allow gamers to stream their digital titles??? thats just being greddy.
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
Cannot see why Sony would not allow this as many people have spent far too much money on these games in the past 6 years.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
We COULD support existing digital purchases. But it's far better for us to just remake them and sell them to you again. And you KNOW you'll buy them. You little sheep you.
HOWARD 4 years ago
I'm not a fan of digital only delivery for games. I love to have the physical copy in my hands than some licence to the game that could potentially be declared void when servers get shut down in years to come. at least with vintage consoles, you still have the games themselves if they are in full working order to play at your leisure. Only Valve's Steam service has got me interested in buying a digital copy of a game, and that is purely because of their incredible offers when they have a seasonal sale on. Otherwise I prefer a hardcopy, especially collector's editions.