Sony's PS4 announcements have barely scratched the surface of what's to come

The PS4 was announced earlier in the week and already the doubters are out in force, with quite frankly silly questions such as where are the games or why haven't we seen the box in which its housed?

In my opinion, Sony got its conference spot on. Sure they only showed four new first party IP's, only one of which was not a sequel of sorts, however this is not the point. It seems to me that if Sony could have got away with it then it wouldn't have shown any games at all. Think about it. The whole point of revealing the console now was to explain the features you can expect to see. This reveal was as much about showing its console off to retailers and game developers as much as it was gamers. Sure there was a need to show games because at the end of the day it's a gaming console so we all want to know what the games look like, however there was so much more to Sony's plan than gameplay footage. It was about showing what the console will bring to games, how it will be different from the PS3 and how Sony has learned from its past mistakes.

Make no bones about it, the games will come and E3 is the time for that. This is the traditional time for companies to show off their wares, so why on earth would Sony show everything it has now when it would leave no surprises for the main event in June. Also, these games are still not the finished article, so why not leave off the announcements until they can be shown in a much more polished state. What would impress you more? Early half finished footage from Gran Turismo 6 or something far more impressive looking thats had some more time for polish?

We know the games are coming, Sony has already said that everyone of its first party studios are working on PS4 games, so why the doom and gloom already from certain media outlets? What's the need for the "PS4 had a disappointing show in terms of games comments?" I'm pretty sure most of these writers understand that Sony would rather show off proper game footage than quickly put together trailers. In fact if Sony had came out with a bunch of trailers it would be these same outlets criticising the company for doing so.

Everyone is desperate for the next generation, that much seems obvious, however instead of certain members of the media praising Sony for what it is trying to achieve, they are going out their way to pick holes: "Why were there no women presenters at Sony's conference?", "Why didn't we see the PS4", "I'm disappointed with the games on show?" Really? Is this the level we are stooping to these days. I for one am glad to know that the PS4 will soon be sitting under our TV's come the end of the year. I have enough faith in Sony to know that there is still a lot more to come. We don't even known all there is to know about the console yet.

E3 is going to be very exciting this year and Sony will no doubt bring its 'A' game. I refuse to believe that Sony isn't sitting on some exciting new IP's, it has to be. We've still to hear from Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digitial, Team Ico, Studio Santa Monica, Studio London, Media Molecule, Quantic Dream and a lot more, including Third Parties and Indies. Sony will also be holding more back for gamescom too. So don't tell me that you are disappointed with the showing of games during the week and are worried about the consoles future, because if you really think this then you are in the wrong job.

Edited On 23 Feb, 2013

Comments
Christopher 4 years ago
Spot on I know eurogamer have been very critical of the PS4 so far, for the life of me I don’t know why. It’s going to be a very interesting E3. I’m looking forward to playing the new Killzone and Infamous but the one thing that really peaked my interest was Media Media Molecule project. It was so different that it really stood and can’t wait to see what they bring to E3 and beyond
LFC Bywater's avatar
I pointed this out earlier in the week, Eurogamer are negative nancys.. This proves this :P
PrometheusFan's avatar
Eurogamer embarassed themselves when the PS3 was announced by going OTT with hype. This is them getting "payback" on Sony for their own stupidity.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
jamie9000000's avatar
jamie9000000 4 years ago
I have to admit, Microsoft has it's work cut out to top sony this year.
Goose_1's avatar
It has the advantage as they can match any Sony enhancements
Goose_1 4 years ago
iMerle iDixon's avatar
Except there isnt much they can do now the wheels are in motion, the console will be all but complete by this point, from a technical standpoint, so changing things around now could really damage the machines, stability.
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I wouldn't even worry about ut, these "journalists" are probably usual Xbox users who are just showing bias and trying to sway their readers to be off put by this Sony presentation and to think negatively about this. It worries me that some of these people are on a decent wage yet show a lack of professionalism.
leslie 4 years ago
It was mint
screally's avatar
screally 4 years ago
Good read. Not showing the box is such a moot point, look at what it can do. Also leaves something to reveal after MS show their hand. Interested in what Xbox will do different.
shane_5121's avatar
shane_5121 4 years ago
I gotta say i don't think Sony could have played this any better. They gave a glimpse of the future that PS4 could provide and while doing this they didn't give too much away. Like Joe said in his artical what would have been the point in showcasing all that Sony have up their sleeve? I personally think that this is a big step in the right direction for Sony, even the developers themselves go on record to say that they were surprised as Sony approached them about what they wanted to do with the system etc This is what people wanted Sony to do. Take notice of your customers, take notice of the game makers! and Sony have done exactly that. I am far from 100% confident that Sony will totally deliver but that's only because of how they screwed up the PS3's release. But this unveiling, and all that went with it has given me a renewed faith in Sony. I feel the same kind of excitement as what i did when hearing about the PS1, or the first trailer I saw for Metal Gear Solid 2.
I did feel it was a little lacking on the games front, but there's plenty of time for them at E3, overall it was an OK reveal, at least they weren't relying on Ridge Racer and giant enemy crabs.
Jokerduo3's avatar
Jokerduo3 4 years ago
This is why I don't check gaming sites there all so negative I get most of my news from here. I'm also glad they didn't show everything this way we've still got stuff to look forward to before the console release. It would be hell knowing everything and waiting till fall.
bung's avatar
bung 4 years ago
I thought it was a good show it showed you what you need to know at this early stage. Covering the dual shock 4 and its new touch screen and giving an insight into the consoles working. What games where on show looked amazing and I'm really looking forward to being able to give them a go. A small sample is all that's needed at this time with the console being many months away from launch. It just wets the appetite and leaves you wanting to see more which I'm sure there will be lots more news at E3. What I do find annoying is how quite a lot of people dis the console because its not backwards compatible granted the PS3 was at launch but to be honest with you I can't remember ever playing PS2 games on it as I was to engrossed in the new games for the new console so therefore I can't see this being an issue for myself and it won't deter me from getting the console at launch.
Jokerduo3's avatar
I admit the backwards compatibility doesn't bother me at all. I only once played a PS2 game (MX 2002) on the PS3.
Jokerduo3 4 years ago
Johno Muller's avatar
Backwards Compatibility wasn't an issue for current gen because of the jump to HD from SD, next gen could do with BC because there are plenty of titles that I still enjoy despite being several years old, Mass Effect being one, I would love to still be able to play that trilogy because I will likely drop my current gen for the new one.
Johno Muller 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Just as long as that 'A' game isn't a Uncharted 4 or GT 6 reveal, then I'm happy. This comment section needs an edit button
Joe2120's avatar
Will suggest the edit button. Also trying to sort out some sort of formatting so that paragraphs are possible instead of comments being bunched up text.
Joe2120 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
If GT6 is announced it probably be years before it surfaces! I bought a PS3 for GT5 in 2009 but then it got delayed again for whole year, so I did not need to have gotten a PS3 when I did. As a workaround for editing, there is a delete button, so copy your text, then delete post and repost pasting your text back in and then edit.
superniceguy 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
What delete button? I don't have one!
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
karlo87's avatar
karlo87 4 years ago
These "naysayers" confuse me, I mean i frequent many gaming news websites and the general feeling is positive, amongst both journalists and community. I think some people would have only been impressed with a pen that fires lasers of games straight into your brain, or a Matrix style pod to have a snooze in. And the graphics? Well i think some people were expecting in-game graphics along the lines of the Elder Scrolls Online CGI trailer! Honestly, i think the leap from SD to HD made people a bit too expectant of the next-gen offering. We won't have a leap like that for YEARS. The main thing to be excited about here is the specs, yes seeing some more games would have been nice, but did you see how excited the developers sounded? Excited developers = exciting games. And at the end of the day that's all it's about, the games.
Johno Muller's avatar
The next step is 3D, but even that is only taking off in the UK because Sky is pretty much forcing it out, and the influx of 3D superhero movies. 3D gaming could be done nicely if you have the right game for it. Borderlands 3 with that animation style, or an expansive city like in GTA or the next NFS/Burnout title.
Johno Muller 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Simple: Negative news generates more traffic than positive news, hence news sites being willfully stupid about very basic things like no price announcement or no box shown. It lets them play dumb to get hits.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
I look forward to seeing what else they have up their sleeves. E3 should be really good this year. Last year was a bit boring. Can't remember the year before :P
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
both ps4 and the next xbox will be good. i don't care what the ps4 looks like i only care about the games and so far diablo 3 killzone and watch dogs have more than sold me on the ps4
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Same here though will probably get watch dogs on the new xbox assuming they are out at the same time as i have more people i know on the xbox so if it has good muliplayer will prefer it there.
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
Something i was wondering is the whole thing about friends being able to watch you or take over i assume they need to have the game as well or you could just get loads of people just doing that to play the full game..
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
It is all good, it just depends on how it goes. The PS3 took off slow and the PS2 died off slow, but the Xbox 360 took off fast and the Xbox died off fast. The Xbox 360 and the PS3 have been around longer than previous consoles, and I have acquired more games for the Xbox 360 than any other console. This generation also holds a lot of ties to DLC and being online, whereas previous consoles were just plug and play, all making it easier to transition to a new console, as there was not any worry of online services possibly shutting down taking away the DLC you have not gotten around to downloading. Games were all stored mainly on the disc / cartridge, so you could put them aside and get the new stuff. Now you have to sift through your collection making sure you get the DLC you want before it goes poof. Also the difference between Xbox and Xbox 360 or PS2 and PS3 were huge, but the difference between Xbox 360/PS3 and next Xbox/PS4 does not seem that huge yet. I think the next gen will take off a lot slower. Backwards compatibility would help a lot in getting people from current gen to next gen faster. My main console was Xbox 360 so it will take me longer getting a next Xbox than PS4 as I just used a PS3 to play the PS3 exclusives, and watch Blu Rays, so do not have that many PS3 games to worry about. Also that makes Backwards compatibility better to stay loyal with same console. If there is no BC then I will mainly go with whichever console gives me the most games I want to play and also which one my friends mainly choose, and then the other two just used for their exclusives. Considering Wii U is BC with Wii, then I will start the next gen off with the Wii U. The Wii U will probably hold the lead for a couple of years, until the next Xbox and/or PS4 gets going
Johno Muller's avatar
The problem is in the PS3 architecture, PS3 didn't have BC unless you bought a specific console. as a PS+ sub no BC is a bit of a kick in the nuts and Instant Game Collection will be a little rubbish for the first year but with PS4 being a decent bit of kit I expect it to take of like a rocket, 3 times the number of games in it's first year to what PS3 had.
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Kizzy's avatar
Kizzy 4 years ago
How about a Ape Escape game that didn't require move and sucked? or even a new Timesplitters? (doubtful). I hate waiting >_<
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
If the did announce a new Timesplitter, and lets say it was a PS exclusive (hopefully not) I would have to get a PS4. Even if it meant waiting longer for my Next Xbox. Can see us waiting for a long long time for a new Timeplitters though Kizzy.
Kizzy's avatar
Yeah :(.....DAMN YOU CRYTEK!
Kizzy 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
From what i have seen from Crysis 3 though atleast they are not slacking and doing nothing.
Kizzy's avatar
Yeah true, but there is a high demand for it (not enough according to crytek), they really should start work on it. I want to play Flame Tag/Virus on my new updated console >_<
Kizzy 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
People should start up a petition, i'm sure there would be demand for it.
Kizzy's avatar
There already is one https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/crytek-uk-create-a-timesplitters-hd-collection ^_^
Kizzy 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
haha Nice. Will do that now.
Kizzy's avatar
Awesome! :D
Kizzy 4 years ago
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
On the first note do not read Eurogamer I am an Xbox man and it seems they favour the 360 but the reviews do miss the professionalism I would rather read reviews here where they are neutral. All we know is we will have two great consoles to choose between but can't see Nintendo pulling off another Wii miracle this time
LFC Bywater's avatar
I'm and Xbox man too bud and i completely agree with you.
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
Crysis 3 looks amazing can't wait to play it! Timesplitters would be good always very indepth but shooters have moved on.
LFC Bywater's avatar
I think they would be able to adapt, but being able to have the smaller characters in the game whilst trying to balance the game would be quite difficult.
Unknown_1's avatar
Unknown_1 4 years ago
There will always be haters and fanboys. That's just part of the game industry at this point. Sony did a great job. They showed some of the most meaningful things that we could hope for: Specs, connectivity, games, etc. Sure they haven't showed everything, but that's so that they can build hype for the next 8 months or so until the console is released. If they showed everything then there wouldn't be any coverage for the rest of the year. They are going to release info slowly from now on so that we can get excited about everything new they have to say. Eventually E3 will be a blowout where almost everything will be clarified. At that point our hype will have reached max and the console will come out in a few months for us to buy it.
LFC Bywater's avatar
One thing is for sure, this year's E3 is going to be one of the best ever!
Unknown_1's avatar
That is for sure. Two new consoles at one E3. SIGN ME UP!!!
Unknown_1 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
And all the new games that will come with it. Hopefully some brand new IP's.
Unknown_1's avatar
Oh man tell me about it. Just this PS event brought so many new games to the table with a couple of awesome looking IPs. Can't wait for E3 where all 3 companies will bring their A game. Plus can't forget the consoles that already released as well. Overall this E3 should be one of the best in a long time, especially given the last few years have been not too stellar.
Unknown_1 4 years ago
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
It would be great with the endless customisation but Timesplitters really was built on the premise that it does not take itself seriously. For that reason alone I think it doesn't belong in this era. On Sony releasing or drip feeding information, good point there will be hype till the final release but I just cannot see how noone can get excited about Xbox which diverts the attention away. I can see both consoles coming out in the months leading up to christmas and that's the big battle!
You're right about it not being the right era for another Timesplitters, everybody takes themselves far too seriously nowadays, look what they did to Batman and Bond.
LFC Bywater's avatar
I think a Timesplitters arcade game could work. I'd more than happily pay £10 for it. I think a game that is kind of similar is Gotham City Imposters. Doesn't take itself seriously either and there is quite a few people playing it even now.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
To be fair, Daniel Craigs bond is much closer to the source material than Connerys/Moores etc.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
Bring back Abe's Odyssey. They were simpler times.
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
Oddworld games easy? I have found every one but the one on the original Xbox painstakingly hard!!!!
Shoxy85's avatar
I was joking about how live used to be simpler back then with consoles. To be honest I don't know any other game I couldn't complete, that I loved so much.
Shoxy85 4 years ago
Goose_1's avatar
Will let you off that one ha!
Goose_1 4 years ago
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I think that PS1 games are more difficult to be honest. It's probably down to the sticky controls and dodgy movements.
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
I haven't played a Playstation one game for years but you made me think of cracking out my dusty one if it works and firing up the clunkiest game ever! Nightmare Creatures!!!
LFC Bywater's avatar
I've got mine set up underneath my 360, Some great games to play on it. I have Final fantasy 7, The original GTA, all of the Resident evil games and a bunch of other ones. For me it's still as fun as it used to be :D
Unknown_1's avatar
Unknown_1 4 years ago
It is safe to say: ALL ABOARD THE PS4 HYPE TRAIN!!!
hightonviewdistrict's avatar
hightonviewdistrict 4 years ago
I was really impressed with the sony press conference. We got shown LIVE GAME DEMOS what more do you want. And a glimpse of the DUALSHOCK 4 controller. We got confirmation of the tech of the console. Sure seeing the console would be nice but that's just sony for you, always holding back. I'm just wondering with all this online features/services will it remain free to play online or are they going to join the xbox regime and charge everyone?
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
They stated that it would be an Online subscription this time around i think. Will be worth it though, I have been paying for Xbox Live for a long long time and it doesn't bother me. A small fee for something i have so much enjoyment playing.
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
The subscription isn't a bad idea when you get superior quality in Xbox multiplayer games!
LFC Bywater's avatar
With the Subscription i pay for Xbox though it would be nice not to be bombarded with Lovefilm adverts on the dashboard. I agree though it is a good service.
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
I would like to see more of Deep Down at E3. I thought it was the best part of the Sony event though I have a feeling it may be named 'Dragons Dogma 2' by that point ;)
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
Deep Down does look good but can see where the similarities to Dragons Dogma can be made! I wonder if we will get it on the new Xbox or if Sony have tagged it as exclusive
Cathe's avatar
I have a feeling it will be out on Microsofts console too, but since that hasn't been officially announced yet they can't really talk about it. Sony showed a couple of other games in that segment of the presentation (Watch Dogs and Destiny) that we know are coming out on other consoles too (since they have been announced as cross gen games) and if Sony had it as an exclusive I think they might have pushed that during its trailer because it looked gorgeous :)
Cathe 4 years ago
i hope it is for the xbox too i think the graphics were amazing and if it is anything like dragons dogma then we would all be in for a treat. just hopefully this time there will be fast travel.
Rachael 4 years ago
Johnathon 4 years ago
They can't scratch a non existent surface! Need to see the console first before you're able to do that! Haha just kidding, but seriously I hope we get to see the console itself soon or I can't help but start worrying...
LFC Bywater's avatar
It's going to be E3 earliest I reckon. No point them doing an event before then. Not long to go anyway :)
Allan 4 years ago
Can't wait for the PS4. I'm more of an Xbox fan, but will definitely pick this up on release (depending on cash flow at the time!). I must say though, my PS3 is only ever used for exclusives (and used to be my bluray player, but I've since bought an actual bluray player). I think PS4 will probably be the same for me. Hope it gets good exclusives this time round, too.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
The fact I had to explain to my friends the specs and why it looks like it will be a fantastic piece of kit, people calling it to be a flop with no word from Microsoft yet is just wrong. Sony have set a benchmark, if "720" has even one mention of being a media device in their conference I will be very disappointed. The announcement is for Retailers, Gamers, Devs and Publishers, not people who want to "Be watching an episode of South Park and thought 'I'd like to be able to watch this on my television, while hooked into my mobile device, which is being controlled by my tablet device, which is hooked into my oven all while sitting in the refrigerator'?"
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
A very good article Joe, and very interesting. I believe there is loads to come from the PS4, and it has kind of won me over. I am very happy with this gen, but the conference was fantastic. I agree with some of above, Deep Down and the car game whatever it is called looked the best two out.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
I thought Sony showed enough to get people excited about the PS4 and still held back some more details for gamers to look forward to E3. I like the direction Sony are going down with so many PlayStation exclusives, such as infamous and killzone. I know most of the games on show weren't PlayStation exclusives but we still haven't heard anything from NaughtyDog who could be working on the next Uncharted game. I will wait and see what Microsoft has up it's sleeve but I am already leaning towards PS4 for my next gen console.
alan james 4 years ago
lets judge them when they come out looking forward to seeing whats gunna be the next gen of gaming,for now xbox 360 is just that lil bit better