Bugbear teasing new next gen racer

Bugbear Entertainment is teasing a new racing title, which is says represents the studio going back to its roots.

The studio is responsible for titles such as Flatout and Ridge Racer: Unbounded and judging by the teaser trailer below, it's next title will offer the same quality, well at least in terms of presentation.

Consoles have been crying out for a Destruction Derby style title for a long time, could Bugbear be the team to make these dreams come true?

"We're making a new car game," says the Studio on its website, "This time we're going back to our roots - just like all of our fans have been asking us to do! If you like what you see above, you're going to love it. It's all in-game footage!"

Exciting stuff.

Currently the game is listed for PC and "and yet to be announced platforms."

Edited On 23 Feb, 2013

Comments
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Same quality as Ridge Race Unbounded? OH. DEAR.
LFC Bywater's avatar
Never had a chance to play it, is it really that bad?
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
It's pretty terrible. I got it for about a tenner for the Soul Calibur cars. Hated it. Gave it to my friend who loves realistic racing games. He hated it too.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
Its ok, if you spot it cheap its worth a buy. Its not really Ridge Racer though. It's quite hard to get into as it plays quite weirdly and has a bit of a steep learning curve (for a racer) but its still worth a tenner.
Datastatic 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Just saw it on here for £10.85. Might give it a try, even if it isn't too great it's only a tenner. The online any good for it you know? or is it deserted?
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Joe2120's avatar
Here's our review from ages ago, the review is from the old site so the formatting is slightly out. However the words should be the same http://www.shopto.net/news/30433/ridge-racer-review
Joe2120 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Ideal cheers Joe, will give it a read now.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
I like the fact that it seems like a mixture of Need for Speed, Burnout, Flatout and Motorstorm Apocalypse as they were all great games. Sounds like not a bad little game, especially for a tenner. Will pick it up soon, and just hope the online is still active. Cheers guys.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
It is a mixture of all those things, but not nearly as good as that sounds. If you don't go in expecting too much its ok. Online is still there (checked for you on PSN if you are a playstation person) but like most PS games outside of COD and Battlefield it is a bit sparse.
Datastatic 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
I'll go in with an open mind and not expecting much. Cheers for doing that, nah i'm a 360 man, but that might be changing pretty soon.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Unknown_1's avatar
I'd imagine the other game, Split Second would have been a better purchase than Ridge racer if destruction is what you want. I honestly can't say I'm too keep on this new game. But of course I'll check out what they have to show probably at E3 before passing judgement.
Unknown_1 4 years ago
Goose_1's avatar
Online servers I am sure will be up on Xbox but do be ready for dissapointment and a quick trip to Cash Converters to try an recoup as much of that tenner back
Goose_1 4 years ago
Split Second? There's another Burnout wannabe that was much better in theory than in practice.
LFC Bywater's avatar
Cex offer a fiver for, so worth it for the sake of a fiver. Just really need a racing game to play at the moment. Was tempted to buy the latest DiRT from here for £8, but i already know how that game is....
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Graphically it's looking pretty good, and I haven't played a decent Destruction derby game in a long time, so will keep an eye out for this.
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 4 years ago
Looks interesting, will keep an eye on this :)
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
i don't like ridge racer ):
Bugbears games always came across as a poor mans Burnout to me, but considering the direction Critereon have been taking I guess any sort of Burnout is better than the open world stuff.
LFC Bywater's avatar
Bring back Burnout: Takedown. Back to the good ol' Burnout times.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Kizzy's avatar
Yes completely agree :D
Kizzy 4 years ago
i loved burnout paradise, but thats just me. the others were very good too, even the latest one.
Rachael 4 years ago
by the latest one i mean burnout crash. yes it was different but still enjoyable.
Rachael 4 years ago
Takedown was the best, had many a late night online with it, Revenge was OK, but just not as good. I enjoyed Crash too, a different style, but it had the part of Burnout that got left behind when they went all open world. I do hope one day that Critereon will give us a good old fashioned Burnout again, but I don't think it'll ever happen.
LFC Bywater's avatar
The game mode Road rage was most probably my favourite ever gametype in a racing game ever. Gave me hours of replayability and good times.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Shoxy85's avatar
Takedown was the best racing game ever! Soundtrack was (and still is) unrivaled! I'd swap a kidney for a new racing game as good as that was.
Shoxy85 4 years ago
I think the best we can hope for these days was the NFS Hot Pursuit remake Critereon made, felt enough like Burnout without any of the open world nonsense.

Merging NFS and Burnout was the worst idea ever though, one that I saw coming a mile off, when EA bought up Critereon I made several non money bets that we would inevitably see a NFS Burnout hybrid, I wish I had made those bets for money now.
Shoxy85's avatar
To be fair I don't mind the NFS series when it's not a game full of adverts. The latest 'Most Wanted' was really good, I thought. But as a racing game it dosnt compete with the likes of Forza Motorsport. Apart from Horizon. Being run over was more fun than playing that game.
Shoxy85 4 years ago
when i read that they would be merging i was in hope that they could put together a masterpiece with good points from both games. but sadly i was wrong
Rachael 4 years ago
They got it right with Hot Pursuit, but then they went and messed it all up with Most Wanted.
Kizzy's avatar
Kizzy 4 years ago
Flatout was awesome, loved the whole demo derby thing, it sure was fun :D
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
ridge racer and quality do not go in the same sentence!
back in the day it used to!
Rachael 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
late 90s yeah
0000000000 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Always preferred Colin Mcrae rally myself. One of the first proper racing games i played.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Goose_1's avatar
Did till unbounded! The hype around Ridge Racer Type 4 and getting the super cars
Goose_1 4 years ago
Rachael 4 years ago
this game looks quite exciting, if the graphics are a work in progress then we will be in for a treat come its release. i wonder what other game types they will have with the game because i think a continuous destruction derby could get quite boring
Goose_1's avatar
It's about the gameplay and this developer seems never to get that right
Goose_1 4 years ago
Sadly true, their ideas are great, but somewhere in the execution something goes just a little bit wrong and they never quite live up to their potential.
well lets hope that this one will. i love my racing game so will be very disapointed if there are no good ones come release of the next gen
Rachael 4 years ago
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
I did like Ridge Racer but that last one was appalling I bought it at 9am and it was sold by 2pm! It was the worst game I ever played. Now Ridge Racer 6 was decent and the Playstation one games were fantastic.
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
Ridge Racer never did it for me. And I love racing games. It always felt really stiff and every car felt like it had understeer. That said, I probably just hated it because I could never win on it.
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
It is an Arcade series but that last game lost all of what made it great!
Rachael 4 years ago
i didnt find the latest one too bad, but it wasnt close to how it used to be. hopefully this will be more like the older games
Goose_1's avatar
Goose_1 4 years ago
I remember the blue port level with the funky music on Type 4! What a game!!! I found the latest one though Rachael almost unplayable and very frustrating! What did you enjoy about it!
alan james 4 years ago
more like destruction darby than ridge racer lol, think ill skip this one
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
The video looks like the first corner on most racing games to be fair. Theres always one that takes a racing line not quite like the rest of us.