Battlefield 4 confirmed for next gen release

Battlefield 4 has been confirmed as one of EA's 'big' next gen launches by EA Labels President Frank Gibeau.

Writing in a blog entitled 'Transition is our friend,' Gibeau said

"For EA's creative teams, this transition comes as no surprise. We've been investing and innovating on new technology for months. Console partners who have seen our early work agree, EA's next-gen software is nothing short of astonishing.

"At a GameStop company meeting earlier this week, we gave 500 store managers a sneak peak at Battlefield 4. The game received a huge ovation and thousands of fans reacted to a single enthusiastic Tweet by GameStop's CEO."

It comes as no surprise that Battlefield 4 will be one of the games gracing both PS4 and the Next Xbox. Now we await confirmation of other big name EA titles, such as FIFA 14.

Edited On 25 Feb, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Will it be coming to current gen too? It's actually a bad sign for the future. If EA are bringing one of the first games for the new generation, they can set the standard for next gen prices too! Anyone else see a £10 price hike in retail recommended price coming?
0000000000's avatar
prices will rise for sure... i will not pay more than 45-50 quid for a game else ill wait for every game to go down before i buy it!
0000000000 4 years ago
Yep, cand definitely see prices rising, was £10 last gen, maybe more this time, more powerful consoles mean more expensive development.
Sony specifically said last week that games would cost no more and no less than they already do on PlayStation 4. I can't say the same about the Next Xbox, but don't expect to pay any more (or much more) than you already would.
Jamie 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
What sony say and what publishers do are 2 very different things. look at prices in the UK for games. The RRP for most games is £49.99, BUT Acti price CoD as £55 RRP. Publishers can put whatever price they want on their games, that is, sadly, their right. If sony try to limit a firms profit by setting prices themselves, then publishers will just not publish for playstation.
troublemaker 4 years ago
Johno Muller's avatar
I'm still scared of potential anti-preowned games, games may hold their value as there is no 2 for £20 bins. but at the same time people may be less willing to part with their cash if they can't unload a bad title.
Johno Muller 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
My feelings exactly. With Sony stating it "will be up to publishers" I'm not going to part with cash for a title that I'm not sure about. New IPs will die under that kind of regime.
troublemaker 4 years ago
Yep, it's a bad situation, the gaming world needs new IP's a lot more than it does tired sequels, without them the industry will stagnate and eventually crash.
PrometheusFan's avatar
Actually, if anything early PS4 titles should be less expensive to produce than early PS3 titles now that every developmental stumbling block that plagued the first couple of years of the PS3 is a non-factor in the PS4. Accounting for individual game budget size and such obviously. But there's no reason to believe PS4 retail games will be any more expensively priced... even if places like GAME pull their usual stunt of charging 50 quid full for launch titles until initial sales buzz evens out.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Like nobody saw this coming, I expect Activision will be 'surprising' us with 'news' of next gen CoD soon.
There will be at least another 10 Call of Duty's before the next Gen consoles at this rate.. each one being 'revolutionary'
Jahlemn 4 years ago
In the next years, we will see remastered versions of previous CoDs. I hate this.
BARIS 4 years ago
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
At least it will be more in line with the PC version this time. Never could get into battlefield 3 though i did hear they fixed the things i had issues with like the torches that were stronger than the sun.
Allan 4 years ago
Not sure how I feel about this, since I'm not much of a Battlefield player (or COD for that matter). Will no doubt buy it anyway, especially if it has a CE (since I'm a collector). Might give me a reason to play it.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
No single player please, BF is a multi-player title. 32 - 48 player matches on console too, no excuse about the console limits this time as next gen are as powerful as my current computer.
Datastatic's avatar
I agree, but this is not gonna happen. Believe it or not there are some people out there (and quite a lot of them) who buy this and COD for the single player.
Datastatic 4 years ago
Johno Muller's avatar
I played the last 3 CoD for the single player because I got invested in the story as it was for all purposes a single player game with multiplayer to start with. BF has always been a multiplayer game and 3 was to be a multiplayer but had single player tacked on at the end and oh boy did it show. Imagine MAG2 with singleplayer added to it on PS4?
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Any confirmation on these games coming out for the current gen Joe? If not Call of Duty has won the battle by default. Black Ops 2 was quality though and EA's offering of MOH was shocking!
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I knew they were going to be bringing out a Battlefield 4, but it's nice to hear it from the horse's mouth. Will be interesting to see what they do with the player count. Could we be looking at 64 player battles like on the PC? i hope so!
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
To people complaining about game prices, the last few generations have actually been very cheap. Most games are instantly available for £30-£35 and discounted after a few weeks. When I was buying PS1 games they were about £40-£50 and it was harder to get hold of bargains. And let's not forget about the days of the SNES and Megadrive...
LFC Bywater's avatar
I remember paying £50 for a cartridge of Pokemon Stadium on N64. Good old days lol
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
Oh yes, I remember those days. But I think a price hike will absolutely come with complaints. Remember, the RRP for the most part asn't really changed. What has changed is the competition online for business. RRP currently is still £50 (for the most part). The fact we can get it for £35 means nothing other than either sellers are giving it to us at a loss, or they are buying so many that discount rates make it viable. Hoever, this generation has been the worst so far for Nickle and Diming the customer. If publishers see an opportunity to raise the RRP just a little, you watch the price we pay increase too.
troublemaker 4 years ago
I don't think I ever paid more than £30 for a PS1 game, the N64 was a different matter though, would regularly pay £40-50 a game, and there was no online shops to get deals either.
LFC Bywater's avatar
In game recently they have tried to push games up to £42.99. So can see them doing it again. One of the reasons i stopped buying from them. I think they will push cost up again, but hopefully not by too much. I can see games for maybe £45 on here and £50 in shops.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
I'll admit, i don't remember what I paid for PS1 games. I remember not buying many and usually scouring shops for deals. PS2 and 3 games though, haven't changed that much in price. Any console with a cartridge however, i remember having my wallet destroyed for it
troublemaker 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
The wallet may have been destroyed, but looking back now it was worth it :)
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Johno Muller's avatar
RRP of £50 companies start price of £40 and then drop to £35 to undercut competition. Pre-owned games are what really dictate the price of games after the first week, couple that with online passes what seems like a good deal could and often does involve paying more than you want for a game.
Johno Muller 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
Absolutely LFC. I wouldn't give up those memories for anything!
troublemaker 4 years ago
dazsuvo's avatar
dazsuvo 4 years ago
I personally will be getting both consoles as me and my son are gaming nuts lol. The price issue dosen't really bother me to much as the quality of the games, hopefully along with the gameplay will shine through. Battlefield 4 is definately going to be one to watch out for in the future of next gen games, god only knows where the quality will end as it it a gorgeous game now in my opinion. Don't really know how they can improve on the gameplay factor alot but as someone mentioned above a larger scale mutliplayer battle would be awesome...
LFC Bywater's avatar
32 on 32 player battles would be immense.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
HOWARD 4 years ago
Prices for console games have always hovered around the 40-50 pound mark as far as I can remember, and that's going back to the days of the Atari 2600. Thankfully these days we have online retailers such as ShopTo with their fantastically competitive prices. Back to the game, and although I do like the Battlefield series, I feel that it has shifted too far towards infantry combat and lost some of the vehicular combat appeal. The last great BF game for me was Battlefield 2 on the PC. Also, we're seeing too many releases for the Battlefield series for any true change or improvement to appear in gameplay. EA needs to let developers have more time to create well polished games and not fall into the rut that Activision has.
Going back to the days of the Atari 2600? Not that I remember, I was buying games for my C64 back then for as little as £1.99, and the average price of games was about £7.99.
I meant cartridge only titles on consoles :P Obviously cassette games are going to be far cheaper.
HOWARD 4 years ago
Rachael 4 years ago
i dont really mind how much new games are going to cost as long as they dont go overboard on it. the quality is what matter to me, and from what i have seen so far i am not worried about that.
LFC Bywater's avatar
Quality is a massive thing, but people don't want to feel like they have been robbed lol
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Knew it was coming, but it's still very odd EA weren't onstage for the PS4 announcement to show BF4 off. Either they didn't want to share a stage with Activision or EA has some sort of deal in the offing with Microsoft. Hope it isn't the latter as I don't fancy dealing with anymore "third party exclusive" releases this generation, timed or otherwise.
Robichoico's avatar
I think one of the first games announced was one that was quickly announced after the convention to be a timed exclusive and is coming to Wii U and nextbox
Robichoico 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
What?
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
alan james 4 years ago
i cant wait for this to be released. Ea have don so well over the years
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
After the cluster fuck of problems BF3 had/has I'm not holding my breath
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
i never seen this one coming......... ow wait