Project Gotham trademark renewed by Microsoft

Microsoft has recently renewed the Project Gotham City trademark, leading to suggestions that a new game in the series could be ready for the launch of its new console.

There are rumours over the team at Lucid Games taking control of the series, especially after its cheeky tease from earlier this year, however Lucid was listed as one of the developers on PS4 at Sony's recent conference, so this may not turn out to be the case.

Another studio which could be working on the game is Playground Games, since it has many ex-Bizzare staff amongst its ranks.

Edited On 25 Feb, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
this was the most obvious thing to happen before xbox have announced anything of course a new PGR was coming
I just hope they can get the balance between arcade and sim right, the last two in the series couldn't manage it and they were made by Bizarre.
0000000000's avatar
cant beat number 2 in my opinion! didnt even bother with the last 1
0000000000 4 years ago
2 was the best, 4 wasn't bad though, definitely better than 3 which was just too simlike.
LFC Bywater's avatar
I enjoyed 4, was 3 a launch title for the 360? i think i remember it being, so makes sense that the Next Xbox will come with a PGR launch title too.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Yep, 3 was a launch title, not the best, but not the worst either.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
Remember the fun we had in 2 and 3 so i would nice to see another never got round to trying 4 though
The Auracle's avatar
The Auracle 4 years ago
I played the entire life out of PGR 2. It'd make perfect sense for Playground Games to do it, since they've proven their chops with the Forza spin-off and having plenty of ex-Bizzare Creations staff on hand to make it happen. [insert obligatory "If only MS would get Rare to make a proper game again" comment here]
Rare should make a new Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Even if they brought out Conkers bad fur day to download i would be happy. But it looks like rare is delegated to kinect stuff now.
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
Would be nice if they gave Conker the HD treatment and put it on the arcade, was an all time classic that one, even the online on the Xbox remake was pretty good too.
LFC Bywater's avatar
Conker and a new Viva Pinata. I would be set.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I could never get on with VP, strategy games just aren't my thing. Rare have an awesome back catalogue though going right back to the Spectrum and C64, so much they could bring back, would be epic to see a return of Sabreman and Jetman, as well as some of their lesser known N64 stuff.
Robichoico's avatar
No No NOOO. Why won't people realise that Rare is pretty much just a shadow of what they were. All of the talent that brought us the past games have jumped ship, I believe some are doing their own thing and others became part of Retro. Only thing I would care to see from them is their 64 and Snes catalogue retouched for the 3DS/Vita
Robichoico 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
VP is a nice game to play after a stressful game. I just kind of mong out and potter around the garden. Saying that i haven't played it in a while, Might give it a go tonight before i get Crysis tomorrow :D
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I know Rare aren't a shadow of what they used to be, but they do still own the rights to their back catalogue and as an MS owned company more qualified staff can be brought in to make use of said back catalogue. I know it's a pipe dream, but no harm in dreaming.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I enjoyed PGR4, long nights of cat and mouse were had. Please no bikes for this one though
Allan 4 years ago
Would be good to see this come to fruition. Lots of other series that have been sort of... forgotten about, should make a comeback.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
That is predictable! I played the first one years ago at a friends house in Reading. It was decent, but never played any of the others.
Rachael 4 years ago
i LOVE pgr. it is one of my favourite racing games. before i had my 360 when it was first released i spent my lunch breaks in game playing pgr on the xbox they had set up. ultimately it made me buy the 360. this is great news!!
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
Metropolis Street Racer - the original and still the best. Liked 2 and 3 but struggled with 4 . What on earth does Project Gotham Racing actually mean anyhow?
The name comes from the Metropolis/Gotham and Superman/Batman connection, it is essentially MSR by another name.
JMeeks1875's avatar
JMeeks1875 4 years ago
Never been a fan of driving games, I just can't get into them. Even the next gen PS4 title Raceclub done little for me. I do enough driving after my kids in the real world.
HOWARD 4 years ago
I do hope Playground Games gets to develop it. The worst thing that happened was when Bizarre Creations went over to Activision, who promptly shut them down when Blur didn't sell as well as they'd hoped. It was also sad to see fellow Liverpool-based developers in Sony (formerly Psygnosis) get shut down too. The UK games industry is getting hammered at the moment and we need more publishers to recognise talent on these shores so that more jobs get created. Playground Games did an excellent job with Forza Horizon, so they would be my first choice :)
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
I used to be amazing at the PGR games. I'd almost say I was unbeatable. Aaaaaaawful long time ago though.....
Chris 4 years ago
Ahh PGR3... "Wow, you can see the engine through the rear vents!!" haha those were the days. I only played the PGR4 demo and that put me off so hopefully the next game is more like PGR3 (a showcase of what the console can do).
alan james 4 years ago
ha seems a long time ago i played this a new game will be good to look forward to.
knockton's avatar
knockton 4 years ago
i don't really like these game i like need for speed and grid much much more
Rachael 4 years ago
grid is brilliant. new one coming out soon to so i will be buying that. doubt there will be another need for speed until the next gen. wouldnt surprise me if they tried to squeeze one in though.
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
I'm sad that this has 'launch title' written all over. If anybody thinks im buying them anything for Christmas this year they are sadly mistaken. I have priorities.