Yoshida: All PS4 games will be available to download

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has confirmed that every PlayStation 4 game will be available to download, although the company has emphasised that retail is still important to its plans.

"PS4 will be similar to PS Vita in that every game will be available as a digital download, and some will also be available as a disc," said Yoshida in an interview with The Guardian.

He explained that, as with PS Vita and PS3, smaller titles have no need to release on disc although all games will arrive digitally, no matter their size.

"As more and more services and contents become available digitally, we'll have more of an option to create attractive packages. So hypothetically we can look at different models - like a cable TV company," Yoshida explained. "We could have gold, silver or platinum levels of membership... We can do subscription services when we have more content - especially now that we have the Gaikai technology available. With one subscription you have access to thousands of games - that's our dream."

Disc based games aren't going anywhere for now though, with retail still having a very important part to play in Sony's plans. It's through retail that Sony will sell its hardware and it based on current digital prices, it's through retail that you'll get the best prices.

Edited On 26 Feb, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
at 10 pounds more expensive than if u get through retail though im guessing!
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
If they can reduce the cost of a digital download then I am in. Outside of my rubbish internet speed and Sony's poor download system, the thing that really puts me off is the price. Can you imagine the anger if you had paid £50 for Aliens: Colonial Marines on day one digital to come in to that quality? The cost of digital needs to be seriously dropped. At least now, if I buy a disc based game and it's rubbish, I can make a little of what i spent back in trade or on eBay.
John 4 years ago
I once saw a game (Darksiders 2 I think it was) available from the PS Store for £49.99 where online retail stores were selling the same game for around the £14.99 price mark. That I believe says it all.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Remember Red Faction: Armageddon? The poorly made RF game that NO ONE liked? was £57.99 on PSN. What the hell was that about!
I saw that! LoL
John 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
imagine paying out that kind of cash, and then getting RF Armageddon! I'd be livid!
troublemaker 4 years ago
I liked it
PrometheusFan's avatar
It's currently going for about 4-5 quid though... just have to play the waiting game with these things and the price usually bottoms out big time sooner or later.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
bought it brand new and sealed for £3 from amazon black friday deals. Worth every.... well, most..... of those pennies!
troublemaker 4 years ago
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
This is a good idea but it took my ps3 hours to download sports champion 2 and that was only for 4gb imagine how big some of these new games will be, the ps4 will be on for about 24hrs :)
LFC Bywater's avatar
But they have that thing now where you can start playing as soon as you start downloading, and it downloads while you play. So won't be too bad. Unless you play the game to quick and it starts buffering... :P
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
James26's avatar
James26 4 years ago
My sentiment pretty much matches the peeps above....Reduce the prices and I might DL more. The only time I ever download a full retail game from either PSN or XBL is when they're discounted for one reason or another , which is rarely. e.g. NBA 2K13 was £8.99 on XBL G-O-D recently. I'm still a big fan of having physical discs though and I enjoy seeing my game boxes lined up on my shelves!
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
Until digital prices are dropped to a more competitive price everyone are still going to get their games from retailers. I saw a few days ago Crysis 3 was £59.99 on the PlayStation Store but at shopto it is £37.85, it's just crazy why digital should be more.
shiny miller's avatar
Why should digital be less? They will sell at a price people are prepared to pay - there must be some people who are paying these crazy prices for a download version, and when they stop buying them the digital prices get lowered to tempt in the sensible people. And it's actually a good thing the digital prices are higher, if they were really low it would be bad news for traditional retailers who would get priced out of existence.
shiny miller 4 years ago
Spear 25's avatar
Perhaps crazy was the wrong word to use, but I just find it strange that downloads cost more as Sony wouldn't have to pay manufacture costs for downloads. I just thought Sony would want to cut out the middle man (retailers). This isn't a bad thing though because I imagine most gamers go to retailers to get their games as they are cheaper.
Spear 25 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Sony just release the games at RRP. They don't set the prices, it is the marketing people who set the prices for this. RRP should be £39.99 really, as 95% of games don't cost more(Give FIFA: Ultimate, COD, GTA etc). It's good that they'll be available, but you don't expect anything less given how they are going now. Only thing I'm worried about is this 'subscription package' which means they may end up going along the lines of how XBOX Live has a silver account that won't let you play Netflix etc, when the gold account will. Hopefully that isn't the case.
Rubix78's avatar
Rubix78 4 years ago
The only way this will work is to charge slightly less then Retailers. Currently having to pay extra for downloads is a complete joke! This makes me lean towards buying a physical copy of a game that you own. Also with physical disks comes Limited Edition stuff!
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Glad to see shopto actually covering this and remaining impartial - must be difficult to do considering how it directly effects you!
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Inevitable seeing as the Vita does this already, but day one digital pricing will be bad as ever for all but first party and niche releases. Once the sales start happening though, it'll work out nicely I hope.