Sony 'mindful' of developers and consumers thoughts on pre-owned games

Sony has already said that the PS4 will be able to play used games, however Sony SVP of Worldwide Studios, Michael Denny, has said in a new interview that it is very mindful of what developers and consumers want in this area.

"It's a massively important issue and I understand why it's one that keeps coming up and will keep coming up, because people want to know what the exact stance is," he said to CVG. "Of course we're mindful of what the game development community wants and what the wider industry issues are with those things.

"It's not something that I feel I have any further announcement or comment to make on, other than to acknowledge with you that it's a massively important issue and of course we are going to do the right thing."

The next Xbox is already said to include an always online connection while also ruling out pre-owned games. Would it be possible that this would force Sony's hand?

Edited On 26 Feb, 2013

Comments
Actually thinking about it, they never said you would be able to play used games for free, just you would be able to play them, if they are listening to developers maybe we will see online passes replaced with activation codes.
troublemaker's avatar
that would actually bring in a mountain of cash for devs. If I buy a used game, i usually don't care about the online portion, I just got a cheap game with no need for an online pass. Requiring activation at startup, similar to a PC game would be a smart move on their part, but bloody infuriating for us.
troublemaker 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
To be fair, an activation code won't be too bad. You already enter the new codes for DLC you get with the pre-order/for multiplayer. Adding that in will be fine. Plus it appeases pre-owned copys because instead of buying a game for £20, you get it for £10 and can activate it for say £5.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
agreed it does seem to be the way they are going with things!
0000000000 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
you know as well as I do that that won't happen. Used games are pure profit for shops, they aint going to cut the price because you have to activate it. I personally don't like it. entering codes bugs the hell out of me, even for pre-order stuff that I got for paying for the game day one. I know it's not a hassle and it takes 2 miutes to do, but I just miss the days of pop game in and play. Back to feeling like I'm being punished for buying the game new.
troublemaker 4 years ago
Unknown_1's avatar
lol that would be very sly wording. But I do agree. I think online passes will just become more common with the new consoles. Publishers are going to probably do their best to nickle and dime consumers until everything goes digital, at which point there will probably be no such thing as used games.
Unknown_1 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
For me, that's about the point I stop gaming. Simply out of principle. I won't pay full price (there will be no online competition, so prices will be fixed) for stale sequels and half baked, rushed games that I can't trade in or sell on
troublemaker 4 years ago
Unknown_1's avatar
Couldn't agree more man. I would hate the idea of prices being fixed. Have you seen some of the prices for buying a 2 year old game on the home consoles? Ridiculous considering it costs them substantially less to deliver the product, yet they still charge so much. It'll be a sad day in gaming if retail dies.
Unknown_1 4 years ago
lbs's avatar
lbs 4 years ago
Do it, Sony! Block 'em! Block 'em all! U ain't got the stones!!!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Buying preowned games is often not cheaper than buying new when online passes are included in the price. Sometimes it's also a risk that the previous owner(s) may have used it as a coaster for their mountain dew or bowl of cheesy doritos. HOWEVER sometimes I want to play a game that's several years old, it might be impossible to locate a new copy, maybe it can't be found on the store or at least for a reasonable price I'm pretty sure Red Faction Armageddon is still RRP on PSN.
Beazi's avatar
I agree, I blame CEX for this though. Not my favourite shop. Everything you buy there is tatty and the shops always in a state.
Beazi 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Worst customer service ever in every CEX shop i have been in. Sorry if anybody here works in one but i hate CEX with a passion.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Artemisthemp's avatar
@Johno There is also rare games like Hyperdimension Neptunia, Ar Tonelico etc, where getting a new Copy is almost impossible, unless you want to pay double price for it.
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
To be fair there is very little need to buy pre-owned games with Shopto, Amazon and even Zavvi around. They usually manage to beat the prices new. CEX is a waste of space. It's horrible, dirty, has the same recycled crap week in, week out. Only good thing is that you can usually get some out of print Anime for cheap. My brother used to work there and used to come home with stacks of free DLC and Online passes for games. The staff are allowed to take that and any game of value and put it behind the counter for later.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Hyperdimension Neptunia was rare a while ago I remember it was going for 80+GBP on Ebay the only Ar Tonelico that are rare are the UK versions of the PS2 games, so rare in fact that I have only see one UK version of Ar Tonelico 2 (I own it) but I have never seen a UK version of the first one (I'm not even sure it exists)
Johno Muller's avatar
What about imports, if the game isn't region locked and also not on sale in Europe you could get seriously burned by buying one to find out it is already used
Johno Muller 4 years ago
tachikoma's avatar
tachikoma 4 years ago
I've already Preordered a PS4 with Shopto as I am one of the many who had to repeatedly replace Xbox 360s due to hardware failures and I refuse to be rogered up the jacksy by Microsoft again. I trust Sony a thousand times more than I do Microsoft and whatever they choose to do on this front I am confident it will be more acceptable than the pickpocketing antics of Microsoft.
Artemisthemp's avatar
My friend have a Generation 2 of PS3 Fat (Launch model in EU) and he haven't had any issues with it yet
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Johno Muller's avatar
My launch xbox only just got replaced in November with a 320gb slim, luck of the draw I guess.
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 4 years ago
In a couple of recent interviews a few people from Sony have said with the PS4 you will be able to play used games and it won't require an online connection, does this sound to anyone else that this might not be the case and them following the path of Microsoft? ... It does to me, all of a sudden the PS4 doesn't seem that appealing no-more, well not what it did yesterday.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I always buy new... but banning Pre-owned is not a good thing. Some people cannot afford the costs that new games bring and if you buy a doughnut of a game you are stuck with it. On the spin side at least crime within the industry will go down noone will nick your copy of Drive Club as it will be completely pointless, and CEX will close down which with there ridiculous and criminal prices (45 for a copy of Ni No Kuni when you can buy new here for a lot less), which may not be too bad.
J-D's avatar
most of the time (95% per say) i buy new but it depends on the price, i got bayonetta on a whim preowned for £7.99, bargain.
J-D 4 years ago
Artemisthemp's avatar
Persona 4: Arena can be used as example. Atlus choice to Region Lock the game, so Japanese ppl would not import the game and there by punishing EU ppl. Banning Pre-owned copies would be stupid and punish family with more than 1 PS4 or account.
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
If microsoft do ban Pre-owned games i wouldn't get the next xbox. I would 100% convert to PS4. I can't afford new games all of the time so i have to trade in games i have to get them, and I wouldn't want to risk buying a new game that turns out crap, that I wouldn't be able to trade in.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 4 years ago
But what if Sony went down the same route with the PS4, no pre-owned games, always on connection? which in this article does sound to me they are backtracking a little to what they said in recent interviews, one on Eurogamer.net ....
Rachael 4 years ago
microsoft going the internet only route is a massive down point for me. like i have said before i cannot always afford to pay my internet bill, so not only will i have to go without my tv shows i will not be able to play my xbox either.
Aminu 4 years ago
Microsoft wants money. Sony wants fans.
Gummy's avatar
Gummy 4 years ago
Is it confirmed that Microsoft with make the 720 online only and not allow second hand games? It seems like a really risky move.
Artemisthemp's avatar
According to rumors, but Microsoft haven't said anything about 720.
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 4 years ago
Not confirmed but it seems to be the "whispers" coming from alot of people that "should" know. I agree 100% it would be a risky move and in my opinion a bad one! you only have to read the reaction from ALOT of gamers when EDGE magazine first posted these stories about "no -pre-owned games" ... "Always on connection" .. about the next Xbox.
Unknown_1's avatar
Unknown_1 4 years ago
I personally always buy new almost always unless its a very old game or really rare, so this doesn't affect me, but I can definitely see why some people would be against it. This would kill sharing games pretty much.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
everything digital will go this way eventually, activation codes for your blu ray discs, your music. money makes the world go round and unless the board members can make more profit each year they consider it a loss, even if they are still making a profit..
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 4 years ago
If either PS4 or Xbox 720/Infinite go down the used game blocking/always on internet route then it might be the day I hang up my joypad for the last time. I'm a dedicated gamer, I love games and most I buy new, but I resent the hell out of being told I can't trade a title in if I find it doesn't appeal to me, or I need the cash. I know they want us all going down the digital download path which would be easier to take were it not for the shamefully high prices and inordinate amounts of storage space required. If they did pursue that model, I'd want to see the selling platform opened to various retailers, otherwise it's a monopoly and I can imagine European competition rules not being too fond of such things.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
If the next gen Xbox does ban pre owned games I can see that swaying a lot of people towards the PS4. Although this doesn't affect me too much as I buy games new.
Rachael 4 years ago
i probably would just get a ps4 if ms do this. from what i have seen from the ps4 i will be geting that anyway