Changes to news section *update*

Hello everyone.

As you may have noticed, we are currently tweaking the news site slightly in order to make it a little easier to get around. In this respect you may notice a few changes over the coming weeks and indeed now.

Already you can see that products related to our stories are showing up at the bottom of the page, while we have also added in a whole new section at the front of the news site which I'd like to explain.

As you can see, there is a panel for Latest, Popular, Reviews and Hot. Using the latest (default) option you will always get our latest news, while the Popular option will allow you to see the most viewed stories on the site. The Reviews section is my personal favourite addition as will allow you to look back on our huge catalogue of reviews which span back almost two years now. Finally there is the Hot tab, which is based on stories with the most comments.

We are continuing to tweak the news site, which will allow us to fix some of the errors we have with our text editor, as well as being able to add related stories for each news item, again making it easier for you to get around the site.

If you have any suggestions at all for any changes or what you think is desperately needed on the news site then please list them below. We can't promise anything but will certainly keep these in mind for the future.

Update

We just wanted to update you on a few more of the changes that have took place since the last post. You may now notice that we have a gallery, which allows you to view images in their all their glorious high definition beauty.

We have also improved the search feature, allowing you to select news from the tab on the left hand side of the search box. This will allow you to search through our two years worth of articles and reviews. In fact if you have a particular liking to a specific game then you'll see everything relating to it just by searching for it's new. (try selecting news and searching for Bioshock Infinite, you'll see what we mean).

There are still a few more changes to come, so we'll update this post once more when they get here.

p.s We are also planning to post up an 'Off Topic Feature', much like our Gamer ID Feature where you can swap Gamer ID's, which you can see in the rotating banner, this will be a place for you to comment on subjects that are perhaps off topic and not related to the news we post. Look out for the feature soon.

Edited On 07 Mar, 2013

Comments
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
How about the ability to view your own comments/where you have commented like the comments ticker to the right of the page? Unless it exists and I'm blind
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I like the review section bit, makes it easier to find reviews for any old games I might want, other than that though everything works pretty well. Apart from the £ pound sign thing but that isn't too much of a problem
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
or even an Forum section? may be easier to track your previous comments
LFC Bywater's avatar
I agree, sometimes ill be in mid conversation with someone, search for some other news, then forget where I was having that conversation.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Didn't it used to be a forum on here? May distract from the news articles. But I'd be happy to have another forum on going really.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
I remember their being one but it was difficult to spark up any kind of conversation.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
AJMiddleton's avatar
Yeah, there was a Forum. I used to run it. I'm happily in line to do it again should it return, but no word as of yet, unfortunately.
AJMiddleton 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
I thought I remembered your'e picture from somewhere before.. Seen it from one of your'e previous comments and it was bugging me where I had seen it lol.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
AJMiddleton's avatar
Ah, that'll be it. I had the same Username on the Forum, as I'm using now, obv! :)
AJMiddleton 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
i hate that to be fair
0000000000 4 years ago
Shoxy85's avatar
I'd love a forum! But the terms and conditions of it have to state that at no time can people post pictures of cats!
Shoxy85 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
What the hell is the point in a forum then?!?
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Edit/delete buttons and I'm good.
LFC Bywater's avatar
There is a delete button, but not an edit one. Its next to the report abuse bit inside your'e comment bubble.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
pull out the facebook classic and let us "like" people's comments!
0000000000 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
All seriousness... that delete button wasn't showing up for me until today... I'm only just now seeing it.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
its been there a while to be fair kev.. i only noticed it by chance!
0000000000 4 years ago
please no 'like' button i have enough people fishing for likes on my facebook lol
Rachael 4 years ago
Pyroloveridge's avatar
^ I "like" this comment
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I would love a edit button. It bugs me when i make a small typo
Gummy's avatar
Gummy 4 years ago
Suggest making it so you can stay logged into the news section if possible so it's easier to post comments. Or just added a 'remember me' function.
Rachael 4 years ago
i would like it if i had the option for my pc to recognise its me when i load up shop to. i have a long email address so it gets quite tedious.
0000000000's avatar
same lol!
0000000000 4 years ago
ASC's avatar
If you want something shorter, try using your account code to log in - find it in the summary section of your account
ASC 4 years ago
Bindiana's avatar
I third this it is annoting having to type your email everytime.
Bindiana 4 years ago
You do know you can use your username to log in right?
LFC Bywater's avatar
When I log in I just use my username. Much much quicker that putting my whole email address. I too would welcome a remember me option though.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Very one already posted what I want. Although I would like to see more news for the non Sony consoles. PC especially. For example there's news about new games and even wii mini (example. Not important) the wii mini coming to uk. None of this gets covered yet obscure title for the vita gets a news story. Gotta say tho. Love the review section. Shame there ain't a way for user reviews
ASC's avatar
There is a Customer review section on the page for each product, just look for the tab beneath the video section next to delivery promise and description
ASC 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
To be fair, most of the news coming out these days is ABOUT Sony consoles, like it or not. Microsoft are keeping all things Xbox 3 under tight wraps, Wii U and 3DS barely see any game announcements that are any good to us over here, but there are regular new title announcements for the Vita that will actually be available to UK customers (Mostly digital releases, yes, but still newsworthy). Give it a couple of months and the site will probably be equally flooded with Xbox 3 articles... I guarantee it.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
It's not just news for Japan. (because there has been a lot.) we get the Sony shop and the MS shop updates, but not the Nintendo ones. As much as I hate it we never got any news about the Wii Mini. (why are they releasing this?) Would love to see stuff about Steam Sales on the PC too, since those are usually pretty damn awesome. Also game announcements like Beyond Good + Evil 2, Watchdogs, Lego Batman 2, Zelda Oracles, Shin Megami Tensai are news for us. Since we are the guys getting them lol. Rarely does a day go by when we hear another new project getting put on the e-shop. So yeah. Again those are things coming to us. I guess it aint as important to you guys, but news is news. And it's clear that some pretty awesome announcements are getting ignored/pushed to the side in favour of other stuff (did we really need two news stories on Uncharted becoming free to play?)
Robichoico 4 years ago
Rachael 4 years ago
i think at the moment robichoico news is just very sony heavy because of the ps4 just being announced. it will be heavy microsoft i expect come april time :)
PrometheusFan's avatar
Bingo.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
Dont mess with perfection !!!
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I think maybe have an instant chat box for when you stream live events like the Playstation 4 one. Would save me having to refresh the screen to see what everybody else was thinking.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I was perfectly viewing the stream in full screen mode. Came back out to post in here and it started acting dicy. Luckily after a long choppy sequence of trying different streams and stuff, It sorted itself out in time to show me the games. I didn't come out of full screen again just incase lol.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
I missed half the stream because of my internet being a joke. All caught up now though.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Yep, an edit button would be nice, I've had problems when using delete, it doesn't let me post and I have to contact customer support to re-enable my posting permissions.
LFC Bywater's avatar
That happens to me occasionally but they always sort it out for me really quick. Sometimes it's until I have wrote a few big comments and then realise, so have to go back and write them again.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Oh yes, they are great for sorting things out, unless it happens at stupid o'clock, then you have to wait till the next day.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I do like the current forum it's well scripted. The issues with a PhPBB forum is this: news will be harder to find as, as soon as someone posts a reply that topic shoots to the top. Also you get loads of posts about random stuff due to the fact anyone can start a topic although it does open up room for more conversation. Also Spam Bots... Enough said! However one thing I would love to do is help post interesting topics on a range of games and maybe a retro archive. Which out of interest is a great idea... How about a retro swop shop here!
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
As long as people can see when their comment has been made and don't keep hitting 'send' then I'm happy.
Rachael 4 years ago
lol shiny that made me giggle. its better when they see about 6 copys of it then dont bother deleting the other 5
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Yes yes yes I do agree there Shiny! My biggest bugbear with the forum. Thankfully the "regulars" realise how this works, but I do prefer the pop up boxes on some comments pages. As if your making a reply too? I wonder if it's a setting Joe can default the forum too?
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
So, I'm just gonna add my two penneth. There are a few issues that need addressing IMHO. the ability to edit previously made comments is a big bug bear of mine. Autocorrect can make me look a bigger muppet than I do on my own. My other real thing is the ability to stay logged into the site. I know it's not a news section issue, but the ability to stay logged in (and maybe go the Amazon route where it'll ask you to re-enter your password at checkout) would be great please. Happy to help if required :)
troublemaker's avatar
Also, while we're asking for things. the ability to put spoiler tags in please
troublemaker 4 years ago
Shoozle's avatar
I agree with the lack of not being able to stay logged in, it lowers the amount of posts I could make due to me being lazy.
Shoozle 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I think the login issue Troublemaker is part of security preventions. After all your ID is attached to your account and if you used a computer which was not your own, and then left it logged on; all someone would have to do is change the address and order themselves a good weekend in!
troublemaker's avatar
I do get that. But my point was that it's a pain. Now I understand the security issues. But other sites combat this with other preventions (and the aforementioned challenge at checkout) It makes it a pain from my ipad to post if I'm honest.
troublemaker 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Thats a fair point Troublemaker where anyone trying to order has to enter there password again or better still the last four numbers of their card before progressing. Would stop all sorts of issues even if someone has the password.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
No! That credit card thing is the worst thing about amazon. If i go to order something when I don't have my card on me, till after work, I then have to wait till I get home and order it, thus missing the 'next day delivery' token.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Shoxy85's avatar
I agree with Dynamite. But the amount of times I've accidentally paid for a preorder are unreal. It takes one click. I know this isnt part of the news section but I'd quite like that process to take me at least two clicks :)
Shoxy85 4 years ago
Johno Muller's avatar
Having to enter your password at checkout or in order to change account or address details would be perfect, as it would allow someone to not need to login every time they come to the site just to look at the news section. i.e. now for me
Johno Muller 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Also, new posts are at top now :D I like the idea of an off topic section.
0000000000's avatar
ive noticed the new comments at the top i thought i was losing the plot at first lol
0000000000 4 years ago
Not sure I like it, it's more natural to read downwards.
0000000000's avatar
im still naturally scrolling down when i see a new comment so yes i agree with you!
0000000000 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
You get used to it. Just natural having the newest post at the top, especially when things get busy.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Johno Muller's avatar
I'm not a fan of the newest at the top feature, it means the original post gets buried... and I'm not just saying that because it's mine at the bottom, hah
Johno Muller 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
It's confusing me to say the least!
LFC Bywater 4 years ago