EA planting Micro-transactions into all its games *update* EA changes its mind

Update: EA chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen has clarified comments he made in which he said microtransactions would appear in all future EA games.

"I made a statement along the lines of 'We'll have microtransactions in our games' and the community read that to mean all our games, and that's really not true. All of our mobile games will have microtransactions in them, because almost all of them are going to a world where they are play for free."

Jorgensen said that for console games, the publisher is looking at other ways to include additional content.

"It will allow someone to take a game that maybe they played for 1,000 hours and play it for 2,000 hours," he said. "We are very conscious that we don't want to make consumers feel like they're not getting value. We want to make sure consumers are getting value."

Original: EA has announced that its embedding micro-transactions into all of its PC and console games in the future.

"The next and much bigger piece [of the business] is microtransactions within games," chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen said, speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference.

"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be.

"Consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business."

It's a move that has certainly helped the company on mobile devices, with The excellent Simpsons Tapped Out performing much better than anyone could have expected. In this respect, money talks and it will continue to do so for EA in the future, whether that's on console or elsewhere.

"Without a doubt, you're going to see more digital business and particularly more digital components of the gameplay allowed because the ease of it will be much better and the storage capability better," Jorgensen concluded."

Edited On 06 Mar, 2013

Comments
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
5,4,3,2,1 zero let the EA slaying commence??? I dont use micro transactions myself but I can see the pros and cons of both
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
With the amount of money they'll have made from ME3 and FIFA and the likes multiplayer purchase options, it's obvious they're going to take advantage of this. If people want to pump more money in to their game than they initially did, go ahead.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
I think that FIFA is the main reason for this. Ultimate team probably makes them more money than some of their actual games. Aslong as we don't have to spend money to access certain parts of single player story then I don't mind too much about this.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I know two of my mates put about £100 in to it when they first got it to get a head start. I also have a lot of mates with ace teams to begin with but who deny ever doing it, despite their shady 3-5-4 records. It's like buying expensive sticker packs really, except you get to play with them this time.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Fifa model was terrible, because you could trade your purchases in game this led to the illegal hacking of hundreds-thousands of gamer-tags and then purchasing fifa products to sell. information was taken during a hack to a site i cant remember (may have been EA?) the name of but if your Xbox live password was the same they got compromised then proceeded to spend your money... still never heard of this in the news but it happened to numerous people i know
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Dynamite I have a friend who has literally spent 500 quid. He has team of the year players, Ronaldo... Its rediculous. Best thing about it is that he's still terrible at the game lol. And pyro, most of the hacking on the game was people falling for scams like "give me your'e email and password and ill duplicate you a messi. Most of the time that is anyway.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Yeah, I know loads of people who have fallen for that old trick. Plus my mate got his team nicked and stuff. But a complaint to EA and he got them back. Plus a mate got 3m coins given to him too for a complaint. Aye Bywater, everyone I know who has an ace team tends to be horrendous and making up for their shortcomings. I had a team of: Reina, Sagna, Kaboul, Agger, Baines, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Young, Mata, Suarez, Balotelli. I ended up getting bored, sold them all and just opened packs ot determine my next team. I've gave up on it this year though a bit, H2H seems much better!
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
i think its a rip off myself.. but then again its only us that decide to pay for these.. i dont have the money to be doing stuff like this but if ever comes a time where you have to pay to get further into a single player campaign thats when i give up on EA completely
0000000000 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
And I bet in those packs you got nobody good? :P my luck for players in packs is hurrendous, I just save up and buy individual players now, takes much longer but I enjoy playing the games anyway.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I managed to land myself a Hulk, Prince Boateng etc but sold them off and only kept the Prem ones. My team is quite ugly now looking like: Reina, Sagna, Koscielny, Vermalean, A.Santos, Tiote, A.Young, Valencia, Lallana, Sessegnon, Bent. Definantely not a team for the way I play atleast!
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
Not a bad team mate, I stay away from perm teams even though my mt favourite league in the world. I have serie A team that is pretty much all Juventus players.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
the best player i ever got from a pack was mario gotze.. how people get messi/ronaldo they must pump hundreds into it.. i put a tenner and i felt like i burned my money!
0000000000 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I got Ronaldo last year, but all he accomplished was getting double teamed and leaving my other players to run amoc. I loved Serie A this year, mainly because Barzagli is a beast at hte back, and Jovetic being quality. Him and Pazzini got me so many goals.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Unknown_1's avatar
I never really understood the who draw behind ultimate team. Perhaps its like playing a trading card game where you need to get that rare card, or that SHINY charizard. Memories.
Unknown_1 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
It's all about Ogbonna, Chillieni and Barazgli at the back, Stone well defence! And i think that's why so many people enjoy it Unknown, everyone loves cards. When i was in year 6 at primary school another kid stole my shiny Charizard card. Scarred me for life.... lol
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Unknown_1's avatar
lol LFC. I remember trading my rare Lugia card for a whole bunch of random crap. Still to this day the worst decision I ever made. I suppose Ultimate team has the effect.
Unknown_1 4 years ago
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
It has a pay to win feel to it, however it is balanced perfectly by allowing people to earn in game credits ME3 and FIFA:UT. You can quite easily earn enough to buy a pack after 1 or 2 matches. The only micro transactions I have had a problem with is Forza where you can buy cars from the dealer using real money that you buy as DLC essentially paying for the car twice.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I'm not a fan of micro transactions for random purchases either but hey ho
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
I for one welcome our new DLC pez dispensing overlords.
Christopher 4 years ago
I've started t boycott all EA games unless i get them off PS+
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
No real surprise considering how much some people spent on setting up their teams on FIFA Ultimate Team.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
no surprise but then again its by peoples choice if they do it or not.. i dont personally like it i think u pay for a game u should have that entire game simple as that.. but times change im stuck in the past!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
You do have that entire game. The EA microtransactions are to give you a boost with more gold packs, more weapon packs etc. You can either work a few games for them, or buy them straight away with real money.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
J-D's avatar
J-D 4 years ago
i just gave £5 to the red cross, thats what i think of your microtransactions EA
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
mind you people using micro transactions in Mass effect did lead to 4 or 5 free DLC's for the multpilayer so that is a pro. not that i played it after the third was released
Unknown_1's avatar
Unknown_1 4 years ago
I think Dead Space 3 was a little experiment they did. My hope that it doesn't become a case of buy your game for full price and then unlock bits and pieces with microtransactions. EA man. They scare me.
As long as you can unlock the gear in-game I don't really care tbh
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I don't use Ultimate Team, it is frankly boring. I would rather play career mode!
Johno Muller's avatar
I only play single player or on the couch multiplayer on EA games. I find that the competitive multiplayer to be broken enough that it can cause people to contiguously flout the glitches in order to win. First thing I do every year now is eBay my online passes.
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Rachael 4 years ago
i dont think this is a bad thing because it gives people who want the fast route an option at their own expense. but it also allows us that want to play the game properly and enjoy the journey the chance too
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
If they're going to have micro-transactions they should at least make the game itself dirt-cheap, but I somehow doubt that's going to happen..
One day they will take it to the extreme and games will be like Pinball FX, the actual game will be free, you just pay for every bit of content. Might not be so bad though, at least after the first chapter/level/race/fight/whatever you will know whether or not you want to continue with it.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Interesting bit of back peddling in that update. Not sure Dead Space 3 is a mobile game there bro! Haha! They've probably had to change their minds because their damn single player servers are non functioning.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Considering they felt like Dead Space 3 sold poorly I wonder if they're rethinking the whole situation lol
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
I wonder if Valve or some other respectable game company did micro transactions would there be as much moaning?
troublemaker's avatar
Not to start with, but they quickly wouldn't be considered respectable any more. Remember the tidal wave of crap they took with the PC micro transactions for portal 2?
troublemaker 4 years ago
Zombieflamingo's avatar
It seems to be all that the majority of people do is moan and think they are entitled to everything when it comes to games. Im sure i remember seeing at the time left 4 dead 2 was announced the amount of people complaining that its stupid and nothing would be added so they joined a boycott group on steam and when the game was released there was a picture showing at least 50% of the people in the group playing it and you will probably find its the same with the people that moan about activision and EA.
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
I personally think its a fine line. The L4D2 thing was really stupid, but a lot of that was, for want of a better term, the PC Elitists believing that Valve shouldn't make for anything but PC. I laugh like a kid at Christmas when I see people throw around the word boycott, especially when the majority have no intention of holding up to it. Even more so when it's to do with the yearly iteration of call of duty for example. I think you're right when you say a lot of gamers feel entitled, but at the same time, the constant stream of games with micro transactions, Sections pulled to sell as DLC later and general bad will toward the gamer from big companies like EA leave a lot of us feeling like e are, at the very basic level, entitled to a game that is complete and fully functioning when we buy it for full price. Yes, there is a lot of this me, me, me thing going on. But some of it is justified in my opinion. Aren't you sick of feeling like these companies are taking advantage of you and your hobby just to turn a bigger profit?
troublemaker 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
This is of course just my opinion and in no way is gospel, it's just how I feel. It's hard sticking to your guns though. I'm refusing to spend more than 20 notes on games this year. With game prices dropping so fast, and things like BF Premium making me feel ripped off when I lay out 40quid, I just can't do it anymore. But with Crysis, Tomb Raider and Metal Gear in the last few weeks, I'm finding it difficult to stick to my guns.
troublemaker 4 years ago
Zombieflamingo's avatar
I see where you are coming from but there is a line between microtransactions and DLC. If the game can still be completed and there is no need to buy the microtransactions to complete the game so they are only there for people that want to do it quicker and easier then i dont see the issue however say you need to buy an extra to get beyond a certain level unless its a free to play game then that is wrong. However with the DLC I am in two minds about first its good to know that some games will be supported after launch with say extra campaign or multiplayer maps which im fine with as long as they are of decent quality. Whereas I am not too keen on the all this store specific pre ordering bonuses dont mind the bonuses but why should there be like 6 different versions. It's also hard to say if some stuff has been purposely left out to be released later unless of course its on the disk as a lost of the staff will have do something between when the main game is finished and it is actually released which can be a good month or so.
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
Johno Muller's avatar
TF2: hats, and golden keys
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Unknown_1's avatar
Unknown_1 4 years ago
lol at damage control.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
It will allow someone to take a game that maybe they played for 1,000 hours and play it for 2,000 ...... I'm sure he does not understand the real world.?? very few people get this sort of hour-age out of a game, surely just MMOs? i put 480 hours into final fantasy 7 i don't think i have had anything come close to that? possibly halo?
0000000000's avatar
over my life even more recently i have more than likely racked up 1000+ hours on final fantasy 7, my all time favourite game, when they announce a HD collection of 7.8.9.10 or complete remakes then ill be ps4 all over!
0000000000 4 years ago
Pyroloveridge's avatar
10 hd has already been announced lad
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
yeah but not 7,8 or 9 my favourite 3 :P
0000000000 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
If only 4,5,6 were made on PSOne or such like, they'd trump everything. - I get up 900ish hours over a year usually on Football Manager. Think there is only one game that I haven't racked up the hours on. Brilliant game.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Also FIFA 13 will be my most played game at the moment, and with simple calculations I'd only be at most at 110 hours or so worth of gameplay on my console.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago