PS4 will support 4k movies

Sony has confirmed that it's new PS4 will support 4k movies, although you may have to wait a while for them to download.

Speaking with The Verge in a new interview, Sony Electronics President and COO Phil Molyneux gave some details of the 4k movie support, revealing that some will be "100 gigabytes and plus" in size, and that broadband speed and bandwidth will be looked at and tackled in due course. Sony is currently trying to figure out the best way to deliver these movies, be it through overnight download or by working on a new technology to compress them further.

"There are challenges that we have to work through? we've got some very good ideas that will make that a comfortable consumer experience."

Considering that 4k TV's will cost thousands of pounds it's hard to see many people making use of this service at first, however in the future when prices drop and people take up the service, this could be another string in the PS4's bow.

Edited On 01 Mar, 2013

Comments
Download 100GB overnight? Yeah, right.
J-D's avatar
haha yeah, my internet can barely do 1GB overnight
J-D 4 years ago
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
how big must the HD's of the future be? one film 100GB+.... better be a TB hard Drive then
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
100gb overnight is certainly possible. I can get a 1gb file in under 45 minutes, and I have a paltry internet connection being in the sticks. I imagine google, virgin and fibre optic users'll be the ones mainly to satisfy the '4k' need.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
ive got 60meg fibre optic virgin and even i think thats a bit of a no way situation!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I'd say your speed is x10 of mine, so I'd have 1gb in 4.5minutes technically. So that's 7.5 hours at a push. That's a good overnight job.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
nice calculating!
0000000000 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Definantely had to go in to accessories then calculator lol.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
lol fair play
0000000000 4 years ago
John 4 years ago
Wow, why this is even necessary I have no idea. It might make sense for like the cinema though, because the screens are so big the quality is abit comprimised, but other than that its kind of pointless imo.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
God to go where the customer is going. And 4k tvs will be in quite a few homes nearer the middle of this cycle.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
This is only going to be of any real use to serious high end tech heads for the next few years, but unlike implementing HD support at the start of this gen, 4K support is apparently not going to affect the actual hardware cost in the PS4... so if they really feel the need to toss that bone to the one percenters... have at it!
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
It's good to see Sony looking ahead, but most people won't use this until 4K televisions drop in price. Which will take a few years. With my internet it would take a lot longer than overnight.
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 4 years ago
Stuff like this is just good for soundbites and not relevant to 99% of the people buying the machine. More likely for PS5 really!
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I think I'd have to have it on for a week. Broadband speeds still not great up here in the North East. On the other hand, I don't know how different it is. I only ever truely feel the Blu-Ray improvement on Disney/Pixar films.
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
The tv's cost a fortune, the films will cost a fortune, the broadband connection to work with it will cost a fortune. Considering more people will want to play their PS3 games than ever watch a 4K film on the 4 I just cant see whats driving them towards spending money on this.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I think here in Poole where we get everything last a 100GB will take us a week. At least we have the seaside to keep us occupied whilst it downloads
LFC Bywater's avatar
I'm exactly the same bud, Down here in the Plymouth the internet is playing up a treat but got a nice Seafront, That's about it...
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Rachael 4 years ago
thousands of pounds??? if i win the jackpot on the lotto i will buy us all one! lol
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Lol! Will keep you to that Rachael ;)
Rachael 4 years ago
a couple of grand for everyone is nothing if i have a few million :) everybody has it here in writing lol.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Lol! Same here. I wouldn't know what to do with it all. Although I would want to be mortgage free and rent free for life I wouldn't live it up as I would want people to treat me as normal. Your everyone's best friend with money! I read that in Lord Sugars book
If I win the lottery I'm buying a castle by the sea in Cornwall.
LFC Bywater's avatar
I live right by Cornwall, it's not great.. lol Nice Pasty's though
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
We have Naga Chillis so if you like burning your tongue, we are perfect. We also have a Ghost town nearby (no underground fires sorry) and one of the creepiest places in the UK on our doorstep. People say if you go at night you will see a white ghost ontop of what use to be a church, and it is always foggy round there! We do have some castles!
dazsuvo's avatar
dazsuvo 4 years ago
If this is a glimpse into the future then the sooner I get a decent payrise the better lol... I can dream though.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Lol! Aren't we all :) but better to be positive than negative. Nothing comes to negative people!
dazsuvo's avatar
dazsuvo 4 years ago
I am very positive but work for a really crap firm for pay rises lol, any chance of a sub lol...
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
With kids any money I have over is soon sapped away but wouldn't change it for the world
Rachael 4 years ago
I think we are all in need of more pay! lol
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
Sure are! This topic has gone right off topic. From 100gb movies to pay lol! Guess we do need more pay for these faster broadband speeds and don't start on 4G!