Ryan: PlayStation Plus has a role to play in PS4

In a new interview on the PlayStation Blog, SCEE boss Jim Ryan has revealed that PlayStation Plus will play a large part in the future of PlayStation.

Many were worried that PlayStation Plus would make way when it came to PS4, despite its logo clearly being shown during the PS4 reveal, however Ryan has moved to dismiss such fears, saying that PlayStation Plus does have a bright future.

"We're very happy with the service that we've been able to offer with PS Plus," Ryan told the PS Blog, "It's been really well received - the value is quite extraordinary and the take-up has trebled over the course of the past year. We definitely see that as a core part of the way forward. We're not yet in a position to disclose our plans for the future of PlayStation Plus but there will definitely be a prominent role to play for it in the PlayStation 4 landscape."

PlayStation Plus has been a very positive move for PlayStation over the past year, so we are very happy to hear that the service will continue.

Edited On 01 Mar, 2013

Comments
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
This is a great idea especially if some of the games are PS3 games which of course arent backwards compatible. How about a movie or a couple of movies each month.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 4 years ago
PS Plus is awesome. In other news, sorry for the lack of interesting stories. News has been a bit slow this week.
Bindiana's avatar
Make some wild rumours up then Joe like the the new Xbox will be backwards compatable with gamecube discs or something :)
Bindiana 4 years ago
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Or that the new xbox is constantly connected to Kinect and will only turn on if you ask it nicely oh and if it hers you getting angry at it the game pauses and it wont let you play until you apologise and really meen it.
Zombieflamingo 4 years ago
I second the wild rumors or just make some polls or just for fun comps
iMerle iDixon's avatar
How about a wee bit of speculation, The next Xbox will not be backwards compatable, or carry over your digital purchases, this is why they are doing the 'ultimate sale', to try and get some money before they announce that fact.
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
Unknown_1's avatar
lol its still cool. I'm sure you could post articles surrounding the drama that is going on in the industry, but I actually enjoy the BS free environment that this site's news section has. So less quality articles are much appreciated.
Unknown_1 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Or they are releasing Ren & Stimpy 2 all these years later. Of course still in 2D. You will still be able to fart your way up a mountain!
Beazi 4 years ago
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 4 years ago
Looks like another thing to consider when I chose my priority for next gen, Xbox live gold VS PS Plus, and unless Gold improves significantly then Plus is going to walk away with it.
Gummy's avatar
Gummy 4 years ago
Thank goodness. Really enjoying the benefits of being a Plus member so far this year. The free games have just been brilliant, especially for the Vita. Can't wait to see what else they'll put up for us this year.
Aminu 4 years ago
Ive always wondered how PS plus works. No matter how i try to make sense of it, it seems Sony are giving away more than they are receiving. And yet it continues to be successful, how is that possible?
Who cares just be a part of it
Ive been a part of it ever since last year. I thought someone here might explain how Sony profit from this.
Aminu 4 years ago
Unknown_1's avatar
There are several ways Sony profits from this. Firstly the games that tend to be offered for free tend to be somewhat old games, so they are already very low in cost. Second, all the games are distributed digitally, so it costs them much less in packaging/shipping. Third, by giving discounts they are making the consumers habituated to buying from PSN, which translates into profit. Finally you are urged to stay subscribed to keep all the games you have. So PS+ is essentially a profit in the long run for Sony. It is a very glorified game rental system which is great for both consumers and the publishers who are covered by Sony.
Unknown_1 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Exactly the above really. Plus, you may buy Dead Space on PSN because you know that it is discounted for PS Plus Members for £11.99, yet without PS Plus it is £13.99 or something. You wouldn't buy it otherwise, but you're buying it now due to the £2 discount. Profit they'd never see otherwise.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Or how Infamous 2 is free right now so after i downloaded it I ordered Infamous 1 from Shopto
Unknown_1's avatar
Unknown_1 4 years ago
Plus is an amazing service. I am imagining all the Gaikai stuff will probably get integrated into Plus with maybe some kind of tiered system to allow great access to past gen games. Either way I'm sure its going to be great. XBL may have started off as the premier online service, but Sony is now just above and beyond them with Plus.
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 4 years ago
GaiKai will be there, but in about 2017. It will not be fully there at launch.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I don't know if I like the cloud idea but PS Plus is great. My biggest problem with it is I've got most of the stuff or no time to play it. Does it expire after a set time even if you have downloaded it?
Rachael 4 years ago
i wish microsoft had something like ps plus. i know we all keep saying it but plus gives so many people the opportunity to play games they might not have tried thus making them look into buying the rest of that series of games or maybe taking more of an interest into a developer because they enjoyed their game.
Shoxy85's avatar
Lets not forget that it took a major security breach at Sony to give away the Playstation Plus to everyone for a while. Otherewise the numbers of buyers would be nowhere near what they are now.
Shoxy85 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I wonder what will happen to XBox Live next gen as if this is all free and PS Plus is the same price as a Live subscription it could be difficult for Microsoft to compete. That may be the incentive to Microsoft to do something this time around.
Unknown_1's avatar
Unknown_1 4 years ago
I think PS Plus is a must buy for anyone who has both PS3 and Vita. Or going into next gen, if you have PS4 and Vita there is no reason not to have plus. Its just such great value.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
PS+ is pretty much a must have if you own a Vita. Although the benefits kinda outweigh having to buy a new memory card every now and again.
Unknown_1's avatar
I was amazed when I saw gravity rush free for PS+. Made me wish I had one. Gravity Rush and Persona 4 Golden are two games that I really want to play if I ever get a Vita. Wish it had a better library than that though. Maybe Japan will support it with good JRPGs since it has gotten a price cut over there.
Unknown_1 4 years ago
Jamie 4 years ago
i dont like Ps plus much as the games on the service ive already played like infamous 2, crysis 2 or arkham city but i do agree with you lot about the ps vita benefits but for now its not for me but if they did this with the ps4 as a tier system like they hinted at before silver gold then platinum it would be good to see as there isnt going to be tons of games to play from the start.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
I think they will have some strong ports. I reckon AC4, Modern Warfare 4, God of War Ascension and some others will be ported over immediately as release titles. As for new titles I think there is a strong lineup to carry it through
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
anybody else feeling a compulsory PS+ ? aka Xbox live style???
troublemaker's avatar
Dear god I hope not. I think that would ruin sony. On the other hand, with the cheap deals I keep seeing, my PS+ is paid up until the end of 2015. SO compulsory or not, I'm good for a while!
troublemaker 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
It wouldn't ruin Sony. I can see them having different tiers of PS Plus, but they could also go down the Live route. If they do, you'd expect a better service, which they'd most likely give.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 4 years ago
As long as the quality of the package doesnt suffer as a result I would welcome this idea. Playstation Plus is not a bad idea.