Sony to ship 16 million units for PS4 launch say sources

The Digi Times is reporting that Sony will have 16 million consoles ready for the launch of the PS4.

According to the site's sources, which stem from the PS4 component makers, internally, Sony expects the machine's annual shipments to reach 16 million units in 2013 with the supply chain expected to start mass shipments in August.

It's also claimed that Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) and Pegatron Technology have just begun the processes of requesting for quotation for the related components. It's expected that the components will ship in August, giving Sony time to get the machines in stores for 'Holiday 2013.'

So what do you think? Does 16 million sound enough to ship some over this way?

Edited On 06 Mar, 2013

Comments
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I'd like to think 16 million would be enough..
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
easily enough and a very confident opening unit amount if u ask me.. should save the hassle of people struggling to get one because they are sold out everywhere.. im really tempted to be honest now i think im getting impaitent waiting for microsoft to show something!
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
It seems like a big number. but how does that compare with say, the PS3 or WiiU Launch numbers for shipped/manufactured consoles. That number, without some form of reference for me, is just a number. It sounds like a lot, and hope that it means there is enough for me to grab one after the pre-order rush
0000000000's avatar
u not getting 1 on launch day TM
0000000000 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
depends on the actual price. kid on the way means that cost is a real factor. in honesty, it depenmds on what kind of decent bundle i can get for day one. no BC means I'm not selling my PS3 to cover costs!
troublemaker 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
im in the same boat baby number 5 due 28th august.. congrats to you and the other half btw TM all the best with that! but i got a court case going on for an accident at work so im hoping to get my pay out by the time of release :P lol
0000000000 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
Thanks man! And congrats to you guys too! LMAO! Waiting for a court payout for new console? I may go and "accidentally" lose a toe in the workshop. maybe two. I could grab both consoles then! Hmmmm. Is it wrong that I'm giving that serious thought? Haha!
troublemaker 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
i dislocated my knee october last year.. didnt pay me so i claimed... do it... toes are just extras lol
0000000000 4 years ago
Can't beat a bit of compo, I got a nice wad for a shattered hip about 10 years ago that lasted me a few years..
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
My dad got a fair bit for damaging his ligaments in his knee. Now there house looks much better than what it did when I was living there. :(
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
yeah ive got loose cartlidge and still a tear in my medial and anterior ligaments, still limping and to be fair it is making it harder to roll around the floor with the kids which is kinda depressing in all honesty! plus now ive claimed work want me out but cant just come out and sack me.. but they are trying lol... but ill gladly take the cash out of their greedy little hands to buy a ps4 and xbox if its a high pay out :P
0000000000 4 years ago
Should easily cover it.
Marty 4 years ago
16 million is a lot BUT that depends on what territories it will be shipping to in the early part of its launch window. If it is a worldwide ship to begin with, 16 million might not be enough to satisfy demand.
Should be plenty, unless they are talking about the financial year, in which case probably not enough.
Joe 4 years ago
No console manages over 3 million at launch WORLDWIDE, but sure...let's go with 16 million, that won't drain Sony's already flailing finances :p
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
It's 16m per year. So they'd expect to sell 112m over 7 years, which would outbeat the PS3. 16m will be fine up until April I'd assume.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
16 million sounds like supply should meet demand for launch window. But if the 16 million is for the year then they will run out of stock early next year.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Sounds like more than enough. I don't think any console has topped 4 million for launch? People seem to be VERY optimistic if they think the PS4 will sell 16M by this time next year.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Nope. Not even close. I'd be amazed if they even have a third of that number ready for launch. I'd even be surprised if they got 16m produced by the end of 2014. Thing's gonna be costly and complex to build... and that's before you factor in probable production issues with the higher spec components.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
They will unlikely sell 16m within the first year. It all depends on the games, consoles are useless without the games. At the moment the PS4 is just an expensive door stop. The PS3 has more going for it than the PS4 to begin with. It will sell more in about 2 years time, when it gets fully going and the PS3 games dry up, if it dries up, and the console is a console with loads of games and not an expensive door stop!
PrometheusFan's avatar
"At the moment the PS4 is just an expensive door stop." - Actually at the moment the PS4 doesn't exist :D
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
I don't doubt it'll have a slow start. Only the hardcore sony fans and a few others will pick it up on launch. Just like the Ninty fans did with the Wii U and then sales will start to pick up once the big games start coming for it and the new multi-plat games. (Instead of ports of what already is out.) It's pretty damn hard to even know how it'll do. I'm not sure if the mass market even care about Killzone. So might have to wait till Uncharted, God of War etc come out. And Pricing will be a factor too.
Robichoico 4 years ago