EA hopes to solve SimCity issues before UK launch

You may have noticed that since the launch of SimCity in the U.S there has been nothing but problems, with people unable to connect to download, or people even being cut off mid-game.

Well if you are in the UK and watching this drama unfold then EA says you needn't worry as it is "working non-stop to resolve."

Indeed the Origin twitter account stated that EA is "making changes to prevent further issues and are confident that Origin will be stable for international launches later this week."

SimCity's is yet another DRM game which means that the only way to play is to connect online. It's not the first game to experience launch issues, which makes you wonder why publishers don't look at alternative solutions (such as a staggered release or pre-loading) in order to solve these problems which are no doubt caused by high demand.

Edited On 06 Mar, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
EA.... with issues they cant seem to fix... and hope to fix (meaning they wont).... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! never... not EA! u would think the games they have under their belt the size of the company things like this should not happen as much as they do with EA games! very poor in my opinion for a company so massive in the gaming world!
I laughed so much I nearly wet myself.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
These "combat piracy" issues that seem to do nothing but encourage piracy make me laugh. go on to any forum on the web and somewhere on the first page you'll come across a mention of the 1911 or skidrow releases of the game that WORK WITHOUT ONLINE CONNECTION! it's a giant group screwing session that ends with you having to download a dodgy copy if you want to keep playing in two years after EA have shut down their servers for it trying to make you by the next DLC heavy, DRM crippled incarnation of their game! There are days when I miss PC gaming. watching this explode across the web last night made yesterday one of the days I'm glad i went full time to console!
0000000000's avatar
well said couldnt agree more!
0000000000 4 years ago
superniceguy's avatar
It mainly affects EA games. It still has not escaped the consoles. Dragon Age is only playable if you have the console connected to the internet. You can play most Steam games on PC even without internet connection.
superniceguy 4 years ago
ASC's avatar
ASC 4 years ago
From what I understand the SimCity server problem is not a DRM issue. It is because the game design focuses on interconnected cities within each region in a way that requires constant sever connection to monitor how changes in one city affect another. As well as this some of the simulation apparently runs server side so that the game operates on 'any' computer: which of course ups the load on the server. So, with all the players connecting, and all the server side processing for each city and region - and despite lots and lots of warnings this might happen - the servers simply have no where near enough capability to handle the load. So now they look to have 2 choices, either quickly patch the game to use far less server resources even if it compromises their intended design, or greatly increase the number/power of their servers.
troublemaker's avatar
I think alot of the issues raised last night covered two things. 1. Single player games, no matter how "socially connected" should remain single player. I should have the ability to keep playing the game if my internet goes down. and 2. The server messages saying "server is full, try again in 30 minutes" then after watching the countdown, getting DC'd anyway. all this along with the server sided game saves that were reportedly being wiped and other such issues are unnaceptable from a company as huge as EA on a franchise as popular as SimCity! In my humble opinion.
troublemaker 4 years ago
But it is a DRM issue. As much as they say they chose to make the game always online to run most of the simulation, or have a more socially connected game, the main reason for having the game be always online was to make it harder to crack. Plus, if most of the calculations are being done server side, the game may never be cracked. If you choose to make a game require a constant internet connection, and you know full well that the game is a part of a huge, and extremely popular franchise, you make sure your servers are ready for such a huge load. I was sceptical about pre-ordering this game, and now the whole "error 37" has been confirmed, I have cancelled my pre-order, and will wait until the game has been patched, and is actually playable.
Thomas 4 years ago
Clearly Balkan's avatar
Game has like 12GB in size in total. 4 GB on your hard drive & other 8GB on cloud. It's understandable why servers in all USA went berserk & shut down. I just hope when I get my copy of SimCity from ShopTO, all problems with Origin, EA & servers will be dealt with.
Clearly Balkan 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I remember when Football Manager first switched to Steam and managing to install the game became an impossibility on the first two days. I can feel for these people, nothing worse than having a game that you can't play. Turns buying it on day 1 pointless.