Japanese Charts, Feb 25 - Mar 3: Vita outsells 3DS XL

This week's Japanese charts are in and at last there is some good news for the PlayStation Vita, which managed to outsell all other consoles.

Nintendo's 3DS still pushed Vita close and in fact if you count the combined sales of the 3DS and 3DS XL did just about manage to scrape past it in numbers, even still though this is a huge boost for Sony and one that it'll be hoping to continue.

As for the software charts it was all eyes on Tecmo Koei as it managed to take number one spot thanks to shift over 220,000 copies of Dynasty Warriors 7, while Shinovi Versus from Marvelous AQL didn't do too badly either, selling over 90,000 copies on the PS Vita. Another new release for Vita was Phantasy Star Online 2, which sold over 55,000 copies, while Everybody's Golf 5 also made a reappearance, coming in at number 16 with over 6,000 units sold.

Here's the hardware figures.

Japanese Hardware Charts (Feb 25 - Mar 3)

Vita - 62,543
3DSXL - 50,265
3DS - 27,174
PS3 - 25,725
PSP - 11,171
Wii U - 10,021
Wii - 1,383
360 - 486

Edited On 06 Mar, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
only by 12k units and that needed a 20% price cut to do that.. i dont think its the most shocking news... if the 3DS XL had it now it would outsell the vita 10 fold!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
You forget that the DS already had its price cut, hence why it is selling so well in the first place.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
fair point! still a better hand held i think anyway!
0000000000 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I wouldn't say it is a better handheld. I'd say it has the much better catalogue for handheld gamers.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
And what is hardware without software?
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Just finishing off my statement ;)
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
"“ And what is hardware without software? ”" - A Wii U?
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Yawn
I like how they have to separate the 3DS and XL to beat them.
0000000000's avatar
good spot lol
0000000000 4 years ago
Yeah, because it is Sony that compile these charts! That and the fact that the 3DS XL & 3DS are two different consoles. Get a grip!
Marty 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Considering Sony were combining Sales of the PSP and the PSV not too long ago. But really they're about as different as the PS3 Fat and the PS3 Slim.
Robichoico 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Haha! Nicely done cookie!
troublemaker 4 years ago
0000000000's avatar
weak moment i snapped! just does my head in we all get on the people who comment most on this site, yet u get the odd bell end who has to put somebody down for having their say! really gets to me
0000000000 4 years ago
It is not that I dont like the comment, so please do not assume without knowing what you are on about. My point is that it is not Sony that compiles these charts so, therefore, cannot be accused of fudging the numbers so that they have "beat them". Laughable comment from you too.
Marty 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Why would seperate console SKUs be combined on Media Create charts exactly? I don't recall them being done so in the past. No doubt if the Vita were seeing a new console iteration on a yearly basis as Nintendo handhelds do, each of it's SKUs would have seen a boost following the price cut and numbers would actually be higher than they already are right now. Keep workin' dat spin though guys if it helps you sleep tonight.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I don't think commenting most should stop you from criticism. Alot of lurkers around these parts really. But alas.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Doesn't really matter who compiled the chart, it's still separating two models of the same hardware to create the illusion of the Vita topping the chart.
PrometheusFan's avatar
Even if you combined 3DS numbers for the week, they aren't exactly "trouncing" the Vita sales, are they? Which is all the more noteworthy when you consider that the 3DS received a major new entry in a long standing popular IP for Nintendo handhelds this week as well, so there isn't even the excuse of 3DS sales being down as there were no new releases. However you slice it, this is still quite the noteworthy turnaround, however long it lasts.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
WTF? Is the PSP seriously outselling the WiiU in Japan? Holy rubbish UMD Drives Batman!
0000000000's avatar
haha on form today TM
0000000000 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Funny, because elsewhere another news site published 'Vita sold huge amounts. But still not beat 3DS' If anyone wants to see the top 10 game list here it is: [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8 [3DS] Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies [PSV] Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf [PS3] Macross 30: Ginga o Tsunagu Utagoe [PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2 [PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance [PSP] Shining Ark [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Warriors of Eden
Robichoico's avatar
Damn Shopto and it's formatting!
Robichoico 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
What i wouldn't give for the ability to use

troublemaker 4 years ago
They've even taken away my beloved
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 4 years ago
The headline does say 'outsells 3DS XL' not 3DS :D
PrometheusFan's avatar
Well, considering the 3DS actually sold LESS than the 3DS XL, either headline would have been accurate.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Vita selling better than anyone was predicting... even Sony themselves when they were saying it would only be managing a 4X sales boost. Oh well, crow served bitter cold for blowhards proclaiming the 3DS would be "trouncing" the Vita regardless this week. Vita numbers will probably fall again next week of course, but I'm predicting it'll be quite a while before it sinks back to Wii U levels again.
Robichoico's avatar
Isn't Soul Society or whatever it's called out next week? I thought you were claiming that to be the saviour of the PSV? lol Or at least someone was.
Robichoico 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Wasn't me... or anyone I've seen posting on here for that matter. It'll sell well, sure, but it's probably not going to work miracles by itself. Releasing during this fresh boost for the console is certainly going to benefit both the game and the Vita itself though.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Pretty much, it does seem to have the bonus of being a Monster Hunter inspired game, and is getting hyped (or at least here it is.) so should do pretty well enough. I'll be interested to see what does better however. PSV or PS3 version of Kaizoku Musou 2. They're even doing a Vita bundle that includes it. Gonna be some incentive.
Robichoico 4 years ago
It was me who was upping Soul Sacrifice to be the potential savior for the PSV in Japan
PrometheusFan's avatar
I think you may have your hopes a bit high on that one, SaiyanNox :p As for One Piece, that's absolutely going to sell better on PS3. It has ten times the userbase of the Vita and all advertising/hyping for the game has been focused on the PS3 version, with the Vita version yet to even be shown I believe. Vita version will likely chart, sure, but it won't come close to PS3 version numbers, which are likely to measure in the hundreds of thousands on launch week alone if the previous game is any indicator.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
They announced Japan alone has over 400,000 pre-orders. IIRC the Unlimited Cruise ports on the 3DS actually brought it out of it's punk for a week or two. I know I got my pre-order for it from Japan in lol Treasure Box here I come.
Robichoico 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
Just noticed that Phantasty Star was there, which was supposed to be one of the big releases. Combined with One Piece and Soul Society in the upcoming weeks it should do well. Also noticed Layton is out, which is a big name too from the 3DS. And Luigi's Mansion 2 is out there soon. Gonna be a great month for Japanese Handheld fans
PrometheusFan's avatar
Phantasy Star was also available for free to download from PSN on launch, so the physical release is literally just selling a free game to people with bundled bonus content/pack ins as the main selling point of the package. If it wasn't available free, you can bet it would have been top of these charts this week.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Lol really? I thought it was you who was saying it was gonna be what would make the vita take off. My mistake.
Robichoico 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Yes? Free or not, it's still a big draw for the console in Japan due to the popularity of the brand. Do you think being told a sequel to a major IP was being released for free on a console that's just gotten a significant price cut is going to make that console more or less attractive a purchase?
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
I wouldn't know. Last time I heard about the series was back when it was on the Dreamcast/Gamecube.
Robichoico 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
Probably because that was around the last time it got a real push in the West (Though PS Universe on PS2/360 also did decent as I recall). The series has still seen several very successful releases on PSP and DS since those days in Japan though. It's just that the series means diddly squat to pretty much everyone outside Japan by this point.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
I'm looking forward to it and I know a few people who are as well
PrometheusFan's avatar
I probably would be too if I thought it had a chance of coming out over here.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Havak's avatar
Havak 4 years ago
The difference with the Vita and Wii U is that the Wii U has a lot of games coming this year that will not only interest current owners, but tempt people to purchase the console. I can't think of much on the Vita that would make someone go out and purchase one, even at a lower price. The only thing I don't get about this article is why the 3DS XL and 3DS sales are suddenly separated... It was obvious the Vita would do well with the price cut though (and the fact that people are figuring out how to hack them now and emulate PS2 games due to the system's power).