PS Vita performing well; more unannounced games on the way

The PS Vita has already had a little boost in terms of great sales in Japan last week, however according to?Sony Computer Entertainment UK MD, Fergal Gara, it's not doing too badly in the UK either.

Asked how he rated the handheld's performance in its first year on the market, the executive told MCV: "Vita really, really responded as we went into Christmas.?We had a pre-Christmas lull where sales were quite low. But that absolutely exploded 20-fold from that low-point into the peak of Christmas. That's very encouraging and shows that with the right promotion and software we can light that fire."

Gara also admitted that while software currently looks a little on the light side, there is plenty more to come this year.

"It looks bare in terms of what we have announced. The cupboard won't be bare."

We are looking forward to seeing what Sony has planned for the Vita. We are still to see some big franchises appear on it such as God of War, Gran Turismo and quirkier titles such as LocoRoco and Patapon. Also on the way is a new Killzone game, while there are also rumours of a new Assassin's Creed title.

In the future you'll be able to stream PS4 games to the Vita, as well as being able to use it to control games playing on the system.

It seems to us that PS4 has a bright future, but Sony just needs to let people know about it.

Edited On 08 Mar, 2013

Comments
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
it looks like its got a good future to be honest if all goes smoothly, i still cant justify the price tag sticking with getting a 3ds xl for the wife so i can use that as and when she isnt using it herself!
He's sounding optimistic about it, but not quoting figures hints that things aren't as rosy as he's saying they are.
PrometheusFan's avatar
Keep reaching Gloria.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
As said before, I have a VITA and I enjoy playing it, so I'm glad things are looking up because it isn't trying to compete with the 3DS. If they commissioned devs to release their PS3 arcade titles on Vita that would be awesome.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
My only complaint about my vita, is the cost of games! I don't mind spending on my gaming but a 40 quid price tag is a bit steep for a portable game for me! Still, I love my Vita and play it quite regular. And an announcement of unannounced games is always appreciated
John 4 years ago
Besides Persona 4, I haven't had a real reason to get the Vita yet, but because I do use handhelds when at work etc, I do hope more appealing games come out specifically for it and not just re-hashes of PS3 games. (Funny since I mentioned P4)
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
We already knew Vita had seen a big sales jump in Japan but I was quite surprised to hear it saw significant gains in other territories... most especially considering that unlike in Japan it hasn't seen any major price cut or significant software releases to stimulate sales. Will be very interesting to see what happens when the West gets a price cut on the console and some of the major unannounced titles come out.
Havak's avatar
Havak 4 years ago
I almost purchased one for £106 at my Morrisons store. However, I've always been disappointed at the lack of support developers have shown. This, coupled with the fact that none of the games on the console interest me thus far made me decide against what was a bargain price. Sony are really pushing Vita now, and while things are improving I don't foresee a massive future. It won't reach the heights of the PSP (if you can call them heights) in my opinion, unless they start bundling the Vita with the PS4 at an even more bargain price.
Havak's avatar
Havak 4 years ago
yoda soldier's avatar
Thats the thing you have know idea how sony are going to support some of the games on it i liked killzone on the psp but there was never another one, Will we get more than one on the vita who knows its the same as uncharted.
yoda soldier 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I had a look at Hot UK Deals every now and again, and over Christmas I saw a lot of Vitas being sold for quite cheap, even tempting me to get them in. And people seemed very interested in them too. I can see E3 being a massive beat for the VITA if they can get quite a few things in there after the PS4.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 4 years ago
The main thing that puts me off from getting a PS Vita is the games, they just don't interest me enough to warrant purchasing a PS Vita. So it is welcomed news about potential new games. Hopefully Europe will get a price cut too, eventually.
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
Numbers or it didn't happen :)
Yep, 20 fold nothing is still nothing ;)
Gummy's avatar
Gummy 4 years ago
I just got a vita so I guess I'm part of this if true. It would be lovely to see LocoRoco on the Vita, just tilting to move around would feel relaxing.
Shoozle's avatar
Shoozle 4 years ago
Hope we get more original titles. A lot shown back at the Playstation Heaven event, I think it was called, mainly showed Monster Hunter clones. So less of that and less of PS2 games with new features (Persona 4 Golden) and I may buy some titles.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 4 years ago
I dunno about this. It's performing well for one week in Japan after a price cut. I don't see figures but I don't suppose that matters. But the thing that concerns me is that they say there was a pre-Christmas lull then picked up at Christmas. And then not a single word about post-Christmas. It was almost three months ago. I can only assume they aren't talking about it because the sales aren't good, there's nothing to suggest it is doing well over here, much like the Wii U. And I hope they announce some titles. And soon. All I know of is Ports of PS3 games, Soul Society and Killhalocrysiszone. None of which interest me. Get the JRPGs in from Japan. That is what I bought the PSP for. That is what will make me keep buying stuff for the Vita. Throwing a free game at me every month on PS+ is doing nothing anymore.
PrometheusFan's avatar
Unlike Wii U though, Vita games actually manage to chart every now and then over here.
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
Wii U's stuff charted on launch didn't it? I have no doubt when a big game comes out it'll chart too.
Robichoico 4 years ago
escaflowne2001's avatar
Well Falcom are supporting the Vita there should be a Ys game up for download in a few months. But really Falcom and Monster Hunter style games are the main thing coming to the PSV. The 3DS is selling better by miles in Japan so most of the JRPGs are going that way. I doubt they'll chance anytime soon. It doesn't help that Namco won't bring over Tales of Innocence or Tales of Rebirth either and won't let anyone else do it either.
escaflowne2001 4 years ago