Rumour: Sony set to abandon 3G Vita?

It's being reported that the 3G version of PS Vita may soon be discontinued.

Joystiq reports that the majority of Sony stores across the US have dropped the price of the 3G-compatible PlayStation Vita, down to 199.97 US Dollars. The base 3G bundle includes the handheld, an 8GB memory card and a voucher for a free PlayStation Network game (if you sign up for coverage).

Apparently an employee at the Denver location confirmed the move as a permanent price drop due to a "discontinuation of the model."

The New Jersey and Las Vegas locations also told Joystiq that the 3G model was being discontinued, however one employee in Seattle said the sale would only last until Sunday, while other locations still had old pricing in their systems.

Sony had already confirmed that would not be dropping the price of the system in the U.S or Europe, so this is a curious move. We certainly would be surprised if the 3G model was replaced by a 4G model at some point, or even just abandoned altogether.

Edited On 12 Mar, 2013

Comments
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I'd never been interested in any 3g model of anything bar a mobile phone. It holds no interest to me, and it just costs more money. Look at the Ipad. And then you have a load of work places, restaraunts etc who are including wi-fi as available for free, you have no real reason to get a 3g one unless you are a big multiplayer player everytime you are in the car.
Lewigi's avatar
And the bad thing about the 3G Vita is that you can't play online with the 3G signal so, yeah, it's pretty pointless!
Lewigi 4 years ago
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
i could add a tomb raider issue but i think i'll call it a day Ha HA, I agree with Dynamite though; pointless to have 3g on everything at extra cost i barely use it on my phone
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 4 years ago
So we are not getting a price drop? i have never been interested in the 3g model.
Johno Muller's avatar
US have just had a $100 price drop so we can expect one in a few months too I guess
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Robichoico's avatar
No it hasn't. Sony even said themselves no price cut due to the yen conversion rate. Some stores have simply had to reduce the price on their own accord. Just like they done over here too
Robichoico 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I can see why. I was looking at 3G when I bought my Vita and the additional cost, plus the requirement of a SIM card that you need a contract on/PAYG payments it's just a daft addition to a machine that does fine on WiFi. With the ability to turn my phone into a Hotspot too, if I'm desperate, I can do that!
troublemaker's avatar
Also, removing 3G could mean removing online trophies. Like those godawful Tomb Raider ones #ForPyroloveridge
troublemaker 4 years ago
Artemisthemp's avatar
Tomb Raider 2013? Yes I rather had a longer SP than MP
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
The single player was still quite lengthy, but the online was dire. I expected as much though.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 4 years ago
I thought it was already discontinued to be honest. It's just a pointless feature on the console considering the amount of restrictions the service seems to have placed on it (Most notably re: download caps).
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
With the 3G Vita discontinued, Sony will announce the new 4G Vita2 that is completely compatible with the PS4 as a controller and screen so you can play it any time anywhere* *4G signal required, fair usage data plan permitting
troublemaker's avatar
But no backwards compatibility
troublemaker 4 years ago
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
3G Vita is really stupid, duo to only been able to download 20MB and Well I already have a Smartphone, so no need