YAGER signs Unreal Engine 4 deal

Epic Games has announced that its licensed its Unreal Engine 4 to Spec Ops: The Line developer YAGER.

There is no indication as to what will come out of this deal just yet, although we'd expect something quite specially given that Spec Ops: The Line was a more than decent game.

"Unreal Engine 4 is, hands down, the best toolset for creating next-generation, AAA games," said Timo Ullmann, managing director at YAGER. Unreal Engine 3 enabled our great team to tap its full potential for the development for our award-winning game Spec Ops: The Line and beyond.

"YAGER is thrilled to be utilizing Epic's latest technology for our foremost project as the new workflow is incredible, and Blueprint visual scripting gives us more control over building our games than ever before."

YAGER is to use the engine for an as yet unspecified Next Generation game.

If you haven't checked out Spec Ops: The Line yet then you really should, it's pretty ace.

Edited On 14 Mar, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Seriously Seriously excited about this idea. Spec ops was an amazing game. The lackluster gameplay was easily forgotten when you started getting into the story that really did make me lose sleep. Bring that quality to next gen. Yes please.
Think I'd rather have some decent gameplay at the expense of story.
troublemaker's avatar
no way. gameplay is important, no doubt. but without a decent narrative, it's just pointless. and believe me when I say, no game's story came close to spec ops last year. if you haven't played it, give it a shot. it'll blow you away.
troublemaker 4 years ago
LFC Bywater's avatar
For £15 ill probe give it a go, tried the demo but didn't fancy it at the time. Need some more games at the moment with a good story.
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Not a fan of military shooters, or games where story is more important than gameplay, so I don't think I'd enjoy it, but I've added it to my rental queue.
0000000000's avatar
i loved this game for story as well more than gameplay! messed with my head but was an immense game and i would love them to do it again!
0000000000 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
Games need a good mix of both to be succesful. Too far one way and the game will falter. Look at Vanquish in that it has brilliant gameplay, but the story is bad.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
Spec ops' gameplay is in no way bad. It's just nothing new or special. Yager made a brave move trying to put Heart Of Darkness into a video game. Personally, I think it paid off beautifully. But, of course, it's just my opinion, and if all ours were the same, the world would be damn boring :)
troublemaker 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
True, and for £14 I may purchase it just for how it is. I was watching a video and it got rated quite highly as one of the authors favourites of 2012. Generic shooter be damned, I don't have many of them.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago