New docs show 'always on' connection for 'Next Xbox'; Plays games from HDD

New documentation which is apparently leaked from the Durango (Next Xbox) dev kit, suggests that the next console will 'always be online' and 'will not allow games to be played from an optical drive.'

The documents, which have been leaked once again by VGleaks, show that data will be installed from the users optical disc and although a system will be put in place to allow the user to play straight away, no game will read data from the disc, suggesting that pre-owned games could very well be a thing of the past.

Coupled with the above are new references to an "always-on, always connected" console, while it's also being suggested that a new, upgraded version of Kinect will be included with every console and that you won't be able to use the machine unless the motion camera is connected.

What do you think of these rumours?

Edited On 20 Mar, 2013

Comments
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Dying to put a really ragey angry comment. But i'll wait until we actually see the machine. I don't want to believe manufacturers (or publishers) would be so short sighted as to stop pre-owned games, or have an always on connection
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
Always on connection doesn't bother me because my internet has proven quite reliable, but I'm with TM as it isn't commercially viable to demand that of the consumer people are paying for online passes that should be enough to discourage pre-owned purchases, considering most pre-owned stuff isn't the £8 cheaper than the brand new one.
Absolutely nothing to inspire confidence there at all, always online I can handle, but no second hand games is a killer, and it even sounds like they are making kinect compulsory too.
Johno Muller's avatar
Just point it at the wall, It's what I'm doing now.
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I'd rather just throw it in a bin.
troublemaker's avatar
I'd rather buy a WiiU :)
troublemaker 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I can't get on board with always online! I just cant! My internet isn't rubbish by any means, but it's not 100% reliable. And not having the option to play my SINGLE PLAYER games if my internet goes down is a deal breaker for me. Think on this though. If PS4 or Xbox3 require always on connection, and PSN or XBL are hacked, down, and offline for a month (this is not an unknown thing to happen) your console becomes a paperweight. Absolutely not.
Blocking Pre-owned game doesn't bother me (Unless you can pay a couple of quid to activate it) but I know it does bother a lot of people but ether way i don't see Microsoft implementing this (not out of the gate at least) since it would be pretty much handing to generation to Nintendo & Sony
Unless you can't (Need a Edit button)
troublemaker's avatar
Blocking pre-owned means also blocking rentals! There is the issue. at least for me!
troublemaker 4 years ago
I don't rent so I can't comment on that
Same, rentals are essential for me.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
I just honestly can't see it. It would kill a massive portion of gaming. Shops such as game would die, Blockbuster would die(Not just admin, these things wouldn't be alive), loveFilm would lose a massive source of money, as would Netflix in America and other such firms. It'd be in Microsofts best interest to keep business like them alive, yet this step won't aim at that. I just can't see it happening.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Yup Rentals for me too, I finish a game every three days normally that's a lot of £40 quids to lay down
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
cex game gamestop will be no more not only that i can't see people going to the store just to buy a download code which is gonna be overpriced hardrive games means no more trading in and suppose if these games are gonna be £50 what will happen if you pay for a game which was falsely advertised like alien colonel marines then your stuck with it i can't support that
joshua 4 years ago
Pyroloveridge's avatar
I totally agree with Joshua
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
troublemaker's avatar
I've been saying this for ages. If i buy a game that turns out to be complete rubbish, I should be allowed to sell it on. Essentially telling me "tough! play it or bin it" is not the way to get me as a customer
troublemaker 4 years ago
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
It's why I can't see it happening at all. They can't want to own the living room then try and restrict you like this. Microsoft aren't stupid.
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Craigimuss's avatar
Craigimuss 4 years ago
Mandatory Kinect! Just another way that the higher forces wish to spy on us. I hate Kinect so much. Xbox are digging a shallow grave here.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I do love rumours, hopefully this does not come to pass but if it does all shit will break loose. If every game has to be installed how big are the HD's going to be?
UKVampire's avatar
UKVampire 4 years ago
The PS4 is sounding more appealing with every "Xbox 720" leaked piece of infomation
stormy2k's avatar
stormy2k 4 years ago
I'm going to wait for the official unveiling of the Nextbox in a months time for 100% confirmed facts before jumping the gun on spewing hate Microsofts way.
STEPHEN 4 years ago
Personally I don't have a problem with the no pre-owned games idea as I buy most of my games new anyway.But I do still think it is a bit unfair for the people who may not be able to afford to may £30-£40 every time they want a new game. They do say that the developers don't make any money from it but I think they've got it good if they are selling hundreds of thousands of copies of games at £40 each (or in Call of Duty's case millions!) It truly is not fair on those who are not as well off as others. I also think Microsoft should continue to develop the games on demand service on Xbox Live by adding a bigger selection of games and more new releases in the 720(or whatever it's going to be called!). Although there is one problem with it. The price. If you have ever looked through the current selection of games on demand games and prices, they are ridiculous. £49.99 for games like Fifa 13 and Call of Duty Black Ops 2, it is unbelievable! If they had more reasonable prices the service would be great. I know it my take a while to download a game, but think about it if you buy a game from an online retailer it's going to take at least a day to be delivered and its handier than going to the shops- unless you live close to them (unlike me) Although they sometime do have good enough deals on. For example this week I got Sleeping Dogs for only £8.99. Downloaded it in a few hours and I only have 6mbps speed! I also find the always connected to the internet idea a bit unrealistic. They do understand that not everyone has good internet to support that and have they not learned anything from the release of Sim City! It will be interesting to see what happens when the new console is announced as if these rumours are true Microsoft have just given away millions of possible customers and handed them to Sony!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
COD and FIFA are two games that fit in to a £49.99 price scheme IMO seeing as you get hours upon hours out of them every year. I didn't pay £49.99 for my FIFA mind...
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Omnislash_Vince87's avatar
Omnislash_Vince87 4 years ago
What if their servers go down? I would be left with an expensive paper weight, especially if they are considering no disc drive. Also, If Microsoft expect us to start buying their digital content 1TB is tiny considering Blu-Ray file sizes will be around 50GB's. I have over 200 Xbox 360 games and I will not be paying a couple of pounds each to use them again.
jumpurs's avatar
jumpurs 4 years ago
I'm actually more concerned about why they need to have kinect always hooked up too. The more that comes out about the next box the less I see myself buying one, and I buy every console lol
Aminu 4 years ago
Goodbye Xbox.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 4 years ago
Like others I want to see some "official" word on all these rumours! Since Sony showed the PS4, well games and new features Microsoft have been getting alot of negative comments etc and things like this don't help but I still have a feeling Microsoft have something special up their sleeves and going to suprise alot of us ( in a good way ) they do often fall in the mud but quite often come up smelling of roses! ................ Lets say though these 'Always on internet' rumours turn out to be true, then sorry no matter how good the games/console is that will be me out, after spending alot of money on these new consoles + games I don't want it sitting there about as usefull as a fart in a thunderstorm if for whatever reason my broadband goes down! .... I see people saying again if this is true then they will turn to the PS4, I wouldn't count your chickens just yet, more rumours/whispers going around that Sony are backtracking on what they said in recent interviews ( No always on internet, you can play pre-owned games ) and will do the same? My bet is if one go down this road the other will follow, mark my words.
Havak's avatar
Havak 4 years ago
If they still charge you to play games online, then I think they're going to struggle a bit here. If I'm honest, I've always found the cheapest and best way to experience gaming is to own whatever Nintendo system is released at the time, along with the Sony one. Xbox has never really appealed to me and the only thing I've ever liked about the 360 is the controller (though the D-Pad is horrible). We'll have to wait for the official word as I've said, but this is going to be odd for a lot of people if true (and of course, this would presumably mean no backwards compatibility at all).
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
If this comes out to be true then bye bye Xbox, Been a good load of years but will be going back to Playstation.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I'm gonna get the play station 4, with PS+ I get free games, I just need to convince my friends to get it too.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 4 years ago
It seems like it going to be the same as Xbox 360 but unable to play games from disc and have to always install them. I always install games to the HDD to save wear and tear on drive, reduce the noise, and speed up loading. I do this for even games that I rent, and that are preowned. Unless there is more information that this news article says, I see no reason why preowned games can still not be played. If preowned games can not be played then I doubt I will get it unless they start selling games off reasonably, like they did in the recent sales, where some got as cheap as a few pounds. I am certainly not jumping in or jumping out on either next Xbox or PS4 until they are out and can see what they can do and what games they have, and the comments people say about them all, but with the many consoles taking up all space I have and many many games I have for the Xbox 360 I will not be rushing into them.
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
If they kill the pre-owned market the xbox may win a battle but it will lose a war. Parents wont be buying their kids the new xbox in a couple of years down the line because no games will be dirt cheap and essentially disposable if the kid ruins them. Because they can replace them for pre-owned cheap games...... I can see it killing the longevity of the next console.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 4 years ago
Always Online is so great a thing, just look ad Sim City or Diablo 3 and Having your game lock to the Xbox Harddrive sound like a great thing, just look ad Wii/Wii U. If those rumors turns out to be true and Sony ain't gonna do it... Sorry Microsoft ppl, but Wii U will sell better than Xbox 720
Riku 's avatar
Riku 4 years ago
i really hope this is a rumor or its bye bye xbox and its back to playstation :D forced kinect and always online is shit both ways...not everyone has the space for kinect or decent internet and i myself use lovefilm and 40quid for a game is alot of money per release its just too much! and to kill off pre-owned would be unfair on on gamers also i would like to add game developers forget that all the people who do buy it brand new they get money from that and if they dont get money from a preowned copy of there game in 1 way there getting game out there to other gameing groups, game companys get enough money from dlc/onlinepass/ cost of a new game there just being super greedy now if internet dies then your console will be a useless piece of cableing XD if its online only FAIL :D
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
not going to happen, they have to know if this was to happen they would lose so many customers to sony and its not a smart move, pure speculation until i see the words official, and i would like something official soon! these rumours are starting to annoy me!!!!
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 4 years ago
Next month there won't be anymore rumours kiki, Thats when I'll make my mind up.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I haven't decided based on the rumours, I have decided based on PS plus, If XBL Gold could offer me 300GB+ of free sh*t a year then I would reconsider my stand.
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
I think all this over pre-owned could be fixed by making every new console/account pay £5 to unlock the game (A brand new game would obviously come with the first code to get this for free) as they do now, on some games. They'd get money from the preowned market as well as their first sales. It just makes sense to me.