Sony patents method to bring trophies to older games

Sony has registered a patent for a new method of adding trophy support to games that do not have trophies without modifying the original game.

This new method would see the machine detected disk access as potential trophy triggers in games. Trophies would then be awarded and stored when each 'trigger' is met.

So what does that mean? Trophies for PS minis, PSOne and PS2 games, as well as older PS3 games and possibly even PSP games, which do not currently support the award system. Given the cost currently involved of modifying a game, most publishers do not even think about adding trophies, however given the simple nature of this new system, chances are we'd see them popping up everywhere. In fact there even seems the potential to award you for watching a movie.

What do you think?

Edited On 22 Mar, 2013

Comments
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
I like the idea of firing up a game that didn't have trophies and having a Pt before the game finishes loading up
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
I can name a few older PS3 games that I loved that would benefit from trophies. Heavenly Sword and Dark Sector definitely come to mind. And old PS2 games, all those PS2 Classics that have appeared like GTA3 and TM:Black could have trophies! AMAZING! Be interesting to see if this is implemented for any of the streaming possibilities for PS4 too.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
There are some games with eggbox achievements without trophies which would be nice additions as well
Aminu 4 years ago
My dream gets closer. Getting trophies for getting signed out of PSN.
Baiken_'s avatar
Baiken_ 4 years ago
It would certainly give a reason to go back to those older games, for the trophie obsessed anyway.
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 4 years ago
Heavenly Sword, and Condemned with trophies? Yes please
I like the idea It will give me something to work on when i'm playing Agarest Generations of War
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
i would love FF 6 7 8 and 9 to have trophies! defeat emerald weapon in FF would be gold all day! ive done that :P took me fu***ng years! lol
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 4 years ago
I like this as the technology would free up more space on the discs i imagine, plus getting some PS1 classics with trophy's may be nice
Baiken_'s avatar
Baiken_ 4 years ago
Ah Agarest! I'm still stuck on Generation 3 in the first game xD i've started playing Agarest 2, and i still haven't opened Agarest War Zero yet. I do love the games though i'm trying to collect all the collectors editions for them, i only need the first one now but its become so rare its hard to find lol. I also heard there was a psp spin-off released in Japan. I'll definately go back to playing it if it gets trophies.
I saw the Agarest 1 collectors edition on Play.com for £25 last year. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it
Baiken_'s avatar
Baiken_ 4 years ago
Yeah i think i saw that priced around the same on Play.com i bought it and thats how i got my copy of Agarest War Zero, the seller put a picture of Agarest 1 but it was really Agarest Zero, talk about false advertising, lucky you didn't buy it!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
All my PSOne Classics on my PS3 would donate me to play them again. The FFs, Metal gear Solid. The original Resident Evils. Would make them worth smashing through again.
I'm waiting till Metal Gear Solid goes on deal before I buy it so I play all the 7 games back to back
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
the more Resident Evil games I play the more I want to play the older ones, then when I play the older ones like Code Veronica and 4 recently I realise that nostalgia has ruined it for me.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I completed the DS version of Resident Evil when it first came out, then I've alawys wanted Resi Evil 2 but it was never over here. Then it came over here when I'm sitting behind a backlog of games. And Saiyan, doing it in the order Kojima intended, or doing it in the order by date(starting with 3...)
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
genius question DW genius, by date would be interested play throughs!
that what I intend to do And Whyte if you have access to it play the Gamecube version or Wii version of Resident Evil 1 it is by far the best version since the DS version had a lot of stuff cut
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
I completed the Directors Cut on PS1, and done Resident Evil on DS too. I could get it on Wii too, or gamecube too seeing as it'll be cheaper than £10 now.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Ahh, the Dc of RE1 was awesome. Remember when you look at Billy whatshisface in RE2 and thought "my god that looks awesome, look at those graphics!" haha! I remember getting RE2 the day it came out and no leaving my bedroom for 2 days while i finished it. I crapped my pants the entire time I played. That and 4 are still the pinnacle of the RE series for me!
My personal favorite is Resident Evil 0
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
RE2 and 4 for me as well!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
RE2 is my favourite. But the Dog Scene RIGHT AT THE START of RE1 will scare me for life. Was I the only one that hated the spiders on RE? Just horrible things.
I hate to say it but I never really played RE2 that much
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
RE spiders put me off all spiders for life,,, i cringe thinking about it... errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk!!!!
They gave me some nightmare when I was a kid
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Didn't play RE2 that much?! It had like...4 possible playhtroughs (Claire Disc 1, Leon Disc 2. Leon Disc 1, Claire Disc 2). I had to do both. First time I did Leons one I ended up with 15 handgun bullets at the final boss. Was spewing.
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
if i played it now would make me laugh but i think i was like 8-9 when it came out, scarred for life lol
I had all the Resident Evil games in my Gamecube collection when I was a kid years but I traded it all in at Gamestation (A decision I regret)
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Don't forget the 4th survivor! And the ability to play the 4th survivor as a lump of tofu with a knife! LMAO! WTF were capcom thinking?
What are you talking about? XD
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
THe 4th survivor was an extra unlocakable game on the RE2 disc. It's the first time you meet HUNK, your team leader in RE:Op. Raccoon City
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
You had to finish both scenarios with an S rank to unlock it (Or was it A rank? I can't remember. was that before capcom "invented" the S Rank?)
0000000000's avatar
0000000000 4 years ago
racoon city was shocking! waste of my time! my bioshock is still processing just to throw that out there :'( i will be stropping if this is still the case at 5pm
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Haha! I remember raging at shopto fr having my AC.Revelations still processing Friday. I got the mail/text to say it was posted AFTER it arrived Saturday morning. You'll be alright mate
One of my friends is wanting me to get Raccoon City but I really don't want to go through that again and i certainly don't want to pay money for it so I hope it at least show up on PS+
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
Haha I remember that tofu character!most amazing and pointless edition to a game ever!
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 4 years ago
ORC should have been released finished and it would have been all right, the number of throwbacks to RE2 were amazing. I dunno, I enjoyed playing it with friends but the ending was such a massive let down.
Shoxy85's avatar
Shoxy85 4 years ago
Addition. Stupid corrective texts.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 4 years ago
Bloody hard playthrough though. It was hard enough unlocking it, the game was insanely difficult!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 4 years ago
Aye it was solid to unlock tofu and Hunk. Always good to give it a bash though. Was like doing MGS1 and trying to get 'Big Boss' achievement.
O\\\'stead's avatar
O\\\'stead 4 years ago
That's Awsome I know people that would buy old games to unlock theese tropies Cause of this it would make more sales my verdict Nice idea
O\\\'stead's avatar
O\\\'stead 4 years ago
O\\\'stead's avatar
O\\\'stead 4 years ago
spike6958's avatar
spike6958 4 years ago
Final Fantasy's 1 through 9 with Trophy support? Sign me up.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 4 years ago
Im more of a score whore on the 360 to be fair, but this is pure geniusness i can play CTR and syphon filter again and I would love to get hold of that muppet racer 40 winks and ape escape and get trophies....brilliant brilliant work sony